Does the update help Nute Gunray?

Nute's Grenade Toss "Place a Thermal Detonator on target enemy that explodes after 3 turns, dealing damage to the affected target and 40% of that amount to all other enemies." Now the DOT hits before the characters turn so it could also take out other nearby low health allies of the opponent making his AOE a bit better? I haven't invested in him, got a 4* drop a while back. He hasn't had very good feedback on the forums, anyone now more interested?

thanks.

Known as íN Quartus Ω in the game
Member of Team Instinct

Replies

• Options
    I have been working on Nute as part of a scoundrel team but the way Nutes thermal detonator currently works it's just not a viable option. It takes 4 long agonizing rounds for it to go off, if it sticks and isn't dispelled. I use the scoundrel synergy on a couple of the challenges and I have never seen his detonator go off. I like Nute but in arena he's a liability his stealth can do wonders but like Greedo he's gonna chuck a detonator first chance he gets, unlike Greedo he doesn't have the health to live past that move.I do hope one day the developers do completely rework thermal detonators. As it stands right now only Greedo 3/4 functions with a detonator.
  • Options
    I still see no need for nute.

Current meta 90% of the fights are over with by round 3. Heck most my fight now last around 40 sec.

Poe taunts. Qgj drops someone half health with assist. Lisa finishes them off, phasma increases turn meter, FOTP kills someone, qgj and Leia once again teams up and kills someone. That 3 toons in 30 sec dead and other team still hasn't moved. If phasma leader ability procs, then its 4 dead.

The only person I can see being added to meta right now is mace. If he hits as hard as they made it sound like, then he will be deadly in assist attacks. Plus he heals, then add in he gives everyone turn meter when he is dead. Be could become a Meta toon. But we will not know until update. But besides him, unless some of the new toons are great I don't see anyone else added to the meta list.
  • JohnnyMakeBelieve
    204 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah he looks fun on paper like alot of the roster, but with the state of AI and arena, meh

There's also the upcoming health steal fix

Got a 6* almost done, gear 7?, but swapped to Eeth Koth for the event

I think they'll fix alot of characters soon so I figured it's that much of a loss, also a +1 in GW
  • Options
    I have a high level and 6 star Nute.
    He's good. but don't use his bombs. They get dodged, resisted, or dispeled. Not fun.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Breetai wrote: »
    I still see no need for nute.

Current meta 90% of the fights are over with by round 3. Heck most my fight now last around 40 sec.

Poe taunts. Qgj drops someone half health with assist. Lisa finishes them off, phasma increases turn meter, FOTP kills someone, qgj and Leia once again teams up and kills someone. That 3 toons in 30 sec dead and other team still hasn't moved. If phasma leader ability procs, then its 4 dead.

The only person I can see being added to meta right now is mace. If he hits as hard as they made it sound like, then he will be deadly in assist attacks. Plus he heals, then add in he gives everyone turn meter when he is dead. Be could become a Meta toon. But we will not know until update. But besides him, unless some of the new toons are great I don't see anyone else added to the meta list.

Nute has 143 speed, good damage and extra crit, plus can stealth to svoid being tsrgetd. All of that is nice to have. Just dont use the detonator.

Real problem is "good damage" (like Nute's 4k basic attack non crit) is not enough in s game full of nuclear weapons. Compared to QGJ, IG86, Geo, Rey, Leía and FOTP, any char doing a single hit will be seen as los damage.
  • Options
    Nute is viable right now. I have a 7 star full geared Nute. Run him as lead with Leia and watch the magic. His thermal detonator is useless and the AI wastes a turn on D dropping it. But if you run Poe to protect him, his basic attack is potent, once he hits it
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The update will actually make Nute worse. Now players can look at your whole team, see that you have a char who wastes a move aka Nute/Greedo and will target you more often than teams without. They are good in your hands, horrible in AI. Everyone knows this.
  • Options
    I think they could make Thermal Detonator users more viable if they did some sort of AoE (like Nutes 40% dmg to all chars) if a character dies with one on him. (Like Living bomb from WoW if anyone knows what im talking about :p ). Either that or Nutes TD needs to hit 2-3 targets for it to be a threat (this would maybe inspire people to bring dispellers aswell), 1 is to easy to handle.

Reducing its fuse timer could also work i guess.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Maestro wrote: »
    I think they could make Thermal Detonator users more viable if they did some sort of AoE (like Nutes 40% dmg to all chars) if a character dies with one on him. (Like Living bomb from WoW if anyone knows what im talking about :p ). Either that or Nutes TD needs to hit 2-3 targets for it to be a threat (this would maybe inspire people to bring dispellers aswell), 1 is to easy to handle.

Reducing its fuse timer could also work i guess.

I bet you had a PoM Pyro mage in wow. Didn't you? ;)
  • Options
    Excellent feedback everyone, thanks! Nute's speed is favorable but I see little upside. He's a special situation toon looks like.

Known as íN Quartus Ω in the game
    Member of Team Instinct