Blasphemy! .... no but seriously, maybe ea could update the censored words list?

I know there are bigger things to worry about but yet i feel like brining up this topic. I found out that Jesus is censored in game-chat.... Jesus? Really? On the other hand, Devil, Mephisto, Allah, Jehova... well basically every religious figure i could think of is not censored. i was thinking to make an online petition to EA about stopping to surpress chistians, but then i thought better not, as if some webmaster of some strictly/fundamental religios christian Pages etc could link it and this brings bad publicity for EA :pensive: such a petition might end up having a million supporters (of wich 999.995 would not be players of SWGOH and probably 999.000 wouldnt even know Star Wars)

okay, now seriously.... how did i find out? I was about to type Jedis (wich is german plural of Jedi) wich was corrected by auto-correction of my Tablet... and it was censored. So yes it doesnt really bother me. But i still think it would help to make the ingame-chat more useable if they work over the list... i dont want to exaggregate it here so i just give one example: niger is banned in any context. but its not even an insult in english, couse it only has one g. result is that many german words like "weniger" get censored. it means "less" ... so you often end up having a sentence censored so you cant even get its meaning. oh one last example of the pointless censoring: ok meanwhile i know someone tells me that he just got level 69 the other day, if i read: "yay, im **" ... but what the hell? Seriously? you cant say 69 couse of the sexual reference people could take from that?

ok long story short: if that censored-list would be cut to real insults and else be less restrictive i think the gamechat could be more usefull. And the Reason why i brought this up now was that i was always nagged by the censoring, but when i found out jesus was it was like... okay... what did they think when they put that on the list?

Replies

• Options
    KyleKatan wrote: »
    this brings bad publicity for EA

EA's publicity can't get much worse.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    I know there are bigger things to worry about but yet i feel like brining up this topic. I found out that Jesus is censored in game-chat.... Jesus? Really? On the other hand, Devil, Mephisto, Allah, Jehova... well basically every religious figure i could think of is not censored. i was thinking to make an online petition to EA about stopping to surpress chistians, but then i thought better not, as if some webmaster of some strictly/fundamental religios christian Pages etc could link it and this brings bad publicity for EA :pensive: such a petition might end up having a million supporters (of wich 999.995 would not be players of SWGOH and probably 999.000 wouldnt even know Star Wars)

okay, now seriously.... how did i find out? I was about to type Jedis (wich is german plural of Jedi) wich was corrected by auto-correction of my Tablet... and it was censored. So yes it doesnt really bother me. But i still think it would help to make the ingame-chat more useable if they work over the list... i dont want to exaggregate it here so i just give one example: niger is banned in any context. but its not even an insult in english, couse it only has one g. result is that many german words like "weniger" get censored. it means "less" ... so you often end up having a sentence censored so you cant even get its meaning. oh one last example of the pointless censoring: ok meanwhile i know someone tells me that he just got level 69 the other day, if i read: "yay, im **" ... but what the hell? Seriously? you cant say 69 couse of the sexual reference people could take from that?

ok long story short: if that censored-list would be cut to real insults and else be less restrictive i think the gamechat could be more usefull. And the Reason why i brought this up now was that i was always nagged by the censoring, but when i found out jesus was it was like... okay... what did they think when they put that on the list?

They need to allow guild chat users to adjust the strength of the filter for THEMSELVES. Not everyone wants it stuck on "Super Duper Ridiculous". I will repeat this as often as I can: This is the most dysfinctional chat filter I have seen since the 1990's.
  • Options
    I agree. The censorship is so over zealous that its stupid. I mean, cmon EA, cut us some slack.
  • Options
    Apparently a synonym for "not very smart" is censored as well, despite begin perfectly appropriate xD
  • Options
    The word filter here is a 'blacklist' - it just spots bad words and removes them, regardless of the context. I used to work as a moderator for a much younger online game, and their chat filter was the opposite - a whitelist. The entire word list and syntax was built from scratch so that it wasn't possible to put together swear words or other bad combinations.

This kind of filter requires a huge amount of extra work (for example it could potentially know that you've used 'weniger' correctly based on the construction of the sentence), and would have to be built for every language separately... so I imagine that it's far easier (and cheaper) to just use a blacklist and for people to deal with the occasional inconvenience of having to go 'woo, I'm level 70-1!' or whatever ^^
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    this brings bad publicity for EA

EA's publicity can't get much worse.

Actually, to investors, EA is a darling.
  • Options
    Noizeman wrote: »
    The word filter here is a 'blacklist' - it just spots bad words and removes them, regardless of the context. I used to work as a moderator for a much younger online game, and their chat filter was the opposite - a whitelist. The entire word list and syntax was built from scratch so that it wasn't possible to put together swear words or other bad combinations.

This kind of filter requires a huge amount of extra work (for example it could potentially know that you've used 'weniger' correctly based on the construction of the sentence), and would have to be built for every language separately... so I imagine that it's far easier (and cheaper) to just use a blacklist and for people to deal with the occasional inconvenience of having to go 'woo, I'm level 70-1!' or whatever ^^

Problem is that it's not occasional. And it can't be that hard to fix. I used to go on Ychat in the 1990's and it didn't have these problems. It's 2017, for crying out loud. It's not like we're dealing with some new experimental technology.
  • BrillO
    320 posts Member
    Options
    You can thank puritan Christian influences on our society for the taboo of swearing and the ridiculous censorship that comes with it(at least in America).
  • KyleKatan
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    BrillO wrote: »
    You can thank puritan Christian influences on our society for the taboo of swearing and the ridiculous censorship that comes with it(at least in America).

lets assume you are right... anyone else enjoying the perfect irony of that leading to censor "Jesus" and let "Devil, Allah" and so on be ok? ;)
  • Options

Imagine being a Scunthorpe United fan.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    There's no Jesus nor Devil in the SW universe, only the Force.

Now seriously, yeah, this need to be revised. When i used to play with a brazillian guild, we couldn't say "****" (which is something like a "lol" to us)... I mean, ok, i get the reference to the klan, but c'mon... I haven't tested it, but i bet it wouldn't be censored if i wrote the whole sect name!!

It's just good sense... Go figure...
  • Options
    Problem is that it's not occasional. And it can't be that hard to fix. I used to go on Ychat in the 1990's and it didn't have these problems. It's 2017, for crying out loud. It's not like we're dealing with some new experimental technology.

Chat rooms, and online regulation (whether required by TOS or opted-in by the provider) have come a long way since the 90s. There wasn't nearly the awareness or the effort put into controlling what people (kids) could say or do. I'm sure those of us over the age of, say, 25 all have stories of that nature.

And while the technology has developed too, as mentioned I believe it comes down to cost and effort. The kids game I worked on was aimed at pre teens and was marketed as such so parental peace of mind had to be guaranteed, hence the whitelist chat and dedicated staff maintaining and improving it. SWGOH isn't held up as a bastion of safety online (just like most 'normal' games) so they don't really *need* to invest in an improved system. Personally, I'm happy enough with them devoting the resources elsewhere.

Also I strongly doubt that the chat filter currently in place *actually* hampers you - or anyone - that much in your general chat to justify reworking the system, although I must admit I'm glad you can say 'Slave One' now instead of 'Boba's ship' :)
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Options
    The0n3 wrote: »

Now seriously, yeah, this need to be revised. When i used to play with a brazillian guild, we couldn't say "****" (which is something like a "lol" to us)... I mean, ok, i get the reference to the klan, but c'mon... I haven't tested it, but i bet it wouldn't be censored if i wrote the whole sect name!!

Not sure if you noticed your triple k was censored. Is "rsrs" censored too? Interesting how Jesus is banned but not Allah and others.

EA / CG has had every opportunity to fix. They deserve every bit of criticism.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    Osisiv wrote: »
    The0n3 wrote: »

Not sure if you noticed your triple k was censored. Is "rsrs" censored too? Interesting how Jesus is banned but not Allah and others.

EA / CG has had every opportunity to fix. They deserve every bit of criticism.

LOL! it was even censored here, yeah, it was the triple k... I can't remember if "rsrs" it's censored or not, i've left that guild several months ago, so i haven't really spoke portuguese on any chat since then...
  • Options
    **********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    What gets me is under 18 accounts can't even access the chat so I don't see the point.
  • Options
    BrillO wrote: »

Err... the only thing us christians have to do with this is the swearing and bedroom jokes.(which I'm glad is censored)

Anywho, the chat filter is a little extreme. grapes is also censored because of r, a, p, and e in that order.
    "Because I'm Batman"-me
  • Caedas
    215 posts Member
    Options
    I get tired of all the **** that I see in the **** of the ****! This **** thing we **** has us all **** with our **** surrounded by ****. I refuse to **** the **** and too much ****! I mean, come on!
  • Options
    **** is all good though. It made my and my guild buddies' day. B-)
  • Options
    Thstsokylo wrote: »
    **** is all good though. It made my and my guild buddies' day. B-)

Sh at or maybe sh art. I forgot
  • Options
    Here in spain Jesus is a fairly common first name....go figure that out EA...we will just have to zeta him.....jezuz!
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • Options
    Shatted on em
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yet Satan isn't.. J*e*s*u*s still works though.
    Post edited by Rumpelstilzchen on
  • Options
    Chat filters and language censoring in general has the purpose of forcing people to develop and use good language skills rather than "hip-hop-yoyoyo-i-***-your-mom-and-society-style", pick their words carefully and as one of the results they most likely get a better awareness of the innecessity of using profane words when saying things.
    I am fine with that and if it leads to imroving some people's vocabulary by finding synonyms or defering from using profanity, the better.

However...

Many online games offer the option to turn off profanity filters for obvious reasons:
    Guess what? I doubt many people who play this game and have the funds to throw money at it are pre-adulthood stage no more, meaning they have full responsibility of how they use their language.and don't need a machine to tell them which words to use if they chose so. If the game provider really wishes to better society, then they should foremost adjust their treatment of their gamers like cattle to be milked - as reflected by ingame prices, preying on the weak-minded and impatient - both negative human traits. Pure hypocrisy.

Furthermore, if - in any game or situation in real life - children are in danger of being exposed to iressistable negative language influences, it's the parents' responsibility to protect their offspring, not some game company or robot; parents have the natural responsibility to every now and then show some interest in what their children do, rather than just buy them a smarthphone/tablet and hope all will go well - which with the internet is the same as sending a 5 year old across a big street in the hopes all will go well. Any lawyer who says differently is a liar or shortsighted and the judge not fit for his job i case of agreement.

- Watching the news on television supplies one person more abominations to see and hear than simple words in an online game
    - Most people who can't say the F-word as an expression of frustration THE GAME provides, not something else probably have done the F-word activity in real life many a time. For whom is this filter meant anyway?
    - The ingame pricing of most purchases is more obscene than anything anyone could possibly say in the chat box.

See the truth, don't give a human's job to a programmed robot.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe Jesus is censored because people use it as an exclamation/almost curse? Muslims don't say "Allah H (last name here), what are you doing?! We're in 0 damage phase!"

Personally, I don't care if Jesus specifically is censored. The filter in general is too strict. I changed my in game name from Klocko to KlockoFett. I tried Klocko Fett (2 words) and got a "naughty name" warning. Bizarre.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know - I was trying to communicate with my guild regarding the accumulation of raid tickets - that word right there "acC.U.Mulated" because it has those three letters together, it blanks out that word.

My guild had a good laugh at that.