Why is my arena squad so weak compared to my top 100?

I run a zaul lead gr 9 almost ten, emperor palpatine gr 10, vader gr 9, savage gr 8 almost 9, nihlus 4 star gr8.
My power is 35,500.
I thought it was my nihlus holding me back but i just ran into any identical team and his nihlus was 3 star but his team was at 41k!!! I habe 5 star mods on everyone. What gives?
I am only level 83 but i figured those two levels wouldn't be game changing, would they?

https://swgoh.gg/u/maxtheflasher/

Replies

• Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options
    Gear plays a large part you're g9 which is pretty bad these days. It's not just 2 levels it's essentially 3 as when you get to g11 you can still add pieces
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    Type of mods, they were grey or gold atm you got them, parts equipped, he had the same lvl of gear?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    Edit: i cash out around 100th place so i compete but it's strange i have 5k to 10k less power than everyone around me
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Gear gear and more gear is the backbone of this game. Stars are the least important thing to look at. Gear most important, mods are a close second and stars last.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    The power rating which is a crap indicator is heavily weighted towards stats like protection. Each gear level adds a lot more protection.
  • Options
    Your gear is horrendous.
  • BIEBERyoloSWAG
    115 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your gear is horrendous.

I cry at night
  • Options
    Your gear is horrendous.

I cry at night

It's ok. I'm sure you're still awesome and there is more to life than gear on a phone game :)

NOW GET OUT THERE AND GET THOSE CUFFS
  • Jimbob
    62 posts Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you jump 400 places in under a month. You run into people that have lots of gear. You'll catch up.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Your gear lvl is weak. Your mods r worse. The toon that allows your entire team to go 1st...Sith Assassin...isnt even in your squad. Blunt, but short, to the point and true.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Some things, you can improve immediately:

Your best square mod is on QGJ, whom you don't use in arena. Check if you really have all your best mods on your arena team.

Some of your mods are only level 12.

You claim to have five star mods, yet your three triangle mods with speed primary are only one star (don't exaggerate — be honest). Also two of your toons don't have speed primary on their triangle mods, while you have two spare speed triangles.

It looks like you have some work to do mod—wise.

Also make sure to complete tier three of both the health and defense mod challenges to have better mods appear in shipments more frequently.

As others have pointed out above:
    Gear matters! In fact, it matters more than stars.

Also the difference in level between level 83 and 85 matters when applying/resisting debuffs.

Finally:

Hang in there — don't despair. You have greatly improved your rank the last couple of weeks. Your Maul and Savage are close to gaining another gear level. You'll get there :—)
  • Nozone2016
    370 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Also think of it this way, the top 100 is out of what, ~3k+ players? When I first started arena I was ranked late 2000's. If you're hitting 100-ish then you're doing well, but also remember of those in the 100's (out of multiple thousands) there's going to be a lot of whales (not saying $ = win, but I guess your shard is young-ish, so P2P will race ahead but it should steady out)

EDIT: Actually when I say late 2000's maybe I'm thinking of tournaments
  • Options
    Gear IX is not ideal vs high level players
  • Options
    I see a few of your teams in the top 50 of my 2015 shard, so you got a decent team going. Like others have said though; gear is a big issue. Gear 9 maul and gear 8 savage are both kinda squishy and don't do great damage.

Also, mods are kinda an issue too. I noticed you have a pretty strong mod with 120 offense sitting on your royal guard, and a mod with a decent speed secondary on qui gon jin. You should prioritize putting your mods on your arena characters first. Figure out which mods work best for the characters you're using (i.e. Speed mods are great on almost everybody, savage needs crit chance secondary stats so he can land offense down more, palpatine needs potency secondary stats, etc).

Ultimately though, you're in a great place and have no reason to beat yourself up at all. I'm sure you'll be able to crack the top 50 occasionally after you get more characters up to gear 10/11