Arena Shard balance or total rework

I'm not sure how you can justify making all the old veterans scrap for top 50 with super maxed out teams when other shards can take top 10 rewards with junk. I see some of the arena shards my guildmates battle in and it is infuriating to see what can pass as a top team.

Suggestions:
Open up arena to larger groups and increase reward bracket size

Set an average power value for each shard based on top 5 units power. This will even out the big hitters amongst all the shards instead of just in the old groups. Refresh every 3 months and call it a "season".

Replies

• Options
    If people are taking top ten with weak squads then it is probably a newer arena. Dumping veterans into those leaderboards would be a perfect way to make lots of paying customers rage quit. The official word is that leaderboards will never be changed or combined, and that is a good thing for everyone involved.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    Leaderboards are fine. You can snipe top 10 with any number of teams these days.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    If people are taking top ten with weak squads then it is probably a newer arena. Dumping veterans into those leaderboards would be a perfect way to make lots of paying customers rage quit. The official word is that leaderboards will never be changed or combined, and that is a good thing for everyone involved.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what he is saying is true. Alot of shards that are around the same age vary greatly in strength.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Shards were made by when you started, probably the fairest way to make them.

When you suggest combining shards in this way, you realize you are taking away the advantage that p2p have paid for. If they did that then people would stop paying.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I agree that they should "boost" arena, i just don't know how lol.... But i know that merging shards or something like won't work. Although i am up for a challenging change, it can't be too extreme...
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

When you suggest combining shards in this way, you realize you are taking away the advantage that p2p have paid for. If they did that then people would stop paying.

I respectfully couldn't disagree more. It's hard to explain/imagine if you aren't in an ultra competitive old day 1 shard. The top 50 I see every day are all worthly of being higher. There is no advantage when the bulk of the shard is p2p and have been around forever
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you can justify making all the old veterans scrap for top 50 with super maxed out teams when other shards can take top 10 rewards with junk. I see some of the arena shards my guildmates battle in and it is infuriating to see what can pass as a top team.

Suggestions:
    Open up arena to larger groups and increase reward bracket size

Set an average power value for each shard based on top 5 units power. This will even out the big hitters amongst all the shards instead of just in the old groups. Refresh every 3 months and call it a "season".

Um.... It's the shard. You have to stay competetive in development in relationship to how long you've played the game! If you put newer shards against older ones they wouldn't stand a chance and a ton of people would quit the game. It would be making it much less fair. Not more fair.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I respectfully couldn't disagree more. It's hard to explain/imagine if you aren't in an ultra competitive old day 1 shard. The top 50 I see every day are all worthly of being higher. There is no advantage when the bulk of the shard is p2p and have been around forever

Yeah, Nov '15....I just can't imagine.

So let's go down the road a little further, who do you decide order, someone will automatically get put to first and someone will be last...I'm sure that will go over great too.

People that pay for the advantage are not going to like getting sorted to specifically make their life harder and someone else easier, for the same reward.
  • Drazz127
    770 posts Member
    Options
    a) The power calculation is horrible. It means nothing.
    b) Speed mods are king, and why everyone is ranked so high, these are so lowly rated.
    c) Everyone will unmod their characters when it comes time to join a new shard.
    d) Horrible idea in general and will never happen.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Drazz127 wrote: »
    a) The power calculation is horrible. It means nothing.
    b) Speed mods are king, and why everyone is ranked so high, these are so lowly rated.
    c) Everyone will unmod their characters when it comes time to join a new shard.
    d) Horrible idea in general and will never happen.

This x10000000.
  • Options
    An end of year competition would be neat. Everyone sorted out and top 25 or so move on and the rest lose out. Continue until there is a grand champion. Give older players something new and newer players something to work on.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    After reading this all I want now is a shard vs shard mode.
  • Options

warmonkey wrote: »

Shard vs shard sounds super cool but I'd like a way to communicate with shard mates to prepare for "battles"
  • Options
    warmonkey wrote: »

People you've hated become allies over night. I love it
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Options
    Myabe have an inter shard tournament:-
    1. separate into brackets, use average monthly rank (top5, top 20, top 50, top 200)
    2. playoff format
    3. best of 3, attacker, defender, and for tie breaker, lower team power gets to be attacker
    4. blind teams for added fun, you select your squad without knowing what your opponent has