Why does Mace's capital ship so much faster than the other ships?

Slazbacca
36 posts Member
When I start a starship battle, the battle order is poe's ship, then tie fighter, then FO tie fighter. I have all three, fully geared, leveled and starred. When I battle vs someone with ackbar or tarkins ship, sometimes they go first, sometimes I do. When I battle vs maces ship, both his ties and fives go first, EVERY time. Also, all ships, including maces, are faster throughout the whole battle. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Replies

• Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Click on your opponent ship stats to check if their speed is higher. If your ships and Pilots are all full 7 stars and max geared, the only difference would be if you don't have max 5 dot mods in your Pilots.
  • Options
    when he uses red dots attack he grants everyone valor for 2 turns
    valor grants cap ship 20% tm and reduces cooldown of convergence by one
    if he uses red dots consecutively the valor stack and grants 40% tm
    so he has a lot more attacks due to tm gain
  • Options
    Not sure about which fighter ships are supposed to go first, or how that gets determined.

But the explanation for why Mace's capital ship gets so many turns is in the descriptions of his abilities.

In particular this one:
    Fortune Favors the Bold 4 turn cooldown
    Deal Physical damage to target enemy and all enemies affected by Target Lock, then grant all allies Valor for 2 turns. This ability's cooldown is reduced by 1 for each enemy struck. (Valor: Grant the Endurance 20% Turn Meter and reduce its ultimate ability's cooldown by 1 at end of turn)
    What this all basically means in practice: Mace's AOE attack grants a buff to his fleet which speeds up Mace's turn meter. If his AOE attack hits 5 enemy ships (selected target plus all those which are target locked), the AOE attack can completely reset its own cooldown (almost like a fleet version of Lando's Double Down attack). Which means that he will soon use the AOE attack again and renew the fleet buff that speeds up his turn meter.

It's a mechanic that's deliberately designed to make Mace's ship go very fast, and be able to spam his AOE if he's teamed with reliable target locking fighters.

That is officially how Mace's ship is supposed to work. If there are any bugs affecting his ship, I don't know about them -- although I would not be surprised since the game has its share of bugs.
  • Options
    Because Ships are still completely broken, which gives me the frowns because I'm one of the few people who genuinely enjoys it. Fortunately, I've found a workaround to deal with the uber broken Mace ship so I'm no longer filled with the urge to put my phone through the drywall.
  • Mageduckey
    699 posts Member
    Options
    when he uses red dots attack he grants everyone valor for 2 turns
    valor grants cap ship 20% tm and reduces cooldown of convergence by one
    if he uses red dots consecutively the valor stack and grants 40% tm
    so he has a lot more attacks due to tm gain

Nope, Valor does not stack. Each ship will grant Mace 20% turn meter at the end of their respective turns.
    Because Ships are still completely broken, which gives me the frowns because I'm one of the few people who genuinely enjoys it. Fortunately, I've found a workaround to deal with the uber broken Mace ship so I'm no longer filled with the urge to put my phone through the drywall.

If by broken you mean bugged, then no, Mace is not broken. If by broken you mean imbalanced, then no, Mace is not broken. He can be defeated just as easily as other fleet commanders, though not always by the same fleet.
    Slazbacca wrote: »
    When I start a starship battle, the battle order is poe's ship, then tie fighter, then FO tie fighter. I have all three, fully geared, leveled and starred. When I battle vs someone with ackbar or tarkins ship, sometimes they go first, sometimes I do. When I battle vs maces ship, both his ties and fives go first, EVERY time. Also, all ships, including maces, are faster throughout the whole battle. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

I'm assuming when you talk about battling Mace's ship that it's the same player (given the constant "both his ties and fives"). If your ships are truly maxed out (crew are completely geared, including all g11 pieces, 7 star, 6x5 dot mods at level 15, all abilities completely maxed including FOTP's zeta, and level 85, and the ships are all 7 star), then it would be a coin toss between your max ships and his. If you're not maxed completely (including FOTP's zeta), then check to see if his ships are. That's where your problem will be if you're not 100% maxed.
  • Robbathehutt
    1048 posts Member
    Options
    I use Maces ship and the reason why his ship seems faster is due to the ability

Fortune Favors the Bold: Deal physical damage to target enemy and all enemies affected by Target Lock, then grant all allies Valor for 2 turns. This ability's cooldown is reduced by 1 for each enemy struck.

(Valor: Grant the Endurance 20% Turn Meter, and reduce its ultimate ability's cooldown by 1 at the end of turn)

So essentially if you hit 1 ship with Fortune Favors the Bold it reduces the next one by 1 turn and gives the Endurance 20% TM. But if I have target lock on 3 ships and then use Fortune Favors the Bold on a 4th ship all 4 ships get hit and my next Fortune Favors the Bold's cooldown is reduced by 4. So because of the massive cooldown reductions and Endurance TM gain it can seem like Mace's ship is taking turns over and over and certainly at a faster rate than other capital ships.

More importantly though the faster and more turns Mace's ship takes the quicker you can use Convergence the Endurance ultimate ability which makes all your ships immune to damage for 1 turn and give them Offense Up for 1 turn.

How can you stop this from happening?

1. Target ships that get target locks easily first (eg. Vader's Tie, Imperial Tie Fighter, Fives' ship, etc.)
    2. Remove debuffs on target locked ships with Ackbar's ship
    3. Use Maul's ship to stealth all but 1 ship you can't target lock multiple ships if you can't target them
    4. Keep a taunt on 1 ship at all times then that ship is the only one that can be target locked
  • Options
    mace is the best ship there is now at the higher levels
    i use mace daily in my fleet arena and i have help no for over 1 and half months now
    at the lower levels ackbar is the best
  • Options
    I use Maces ship and the reason why his ship seems faster is due to the ability

Fortune Favors the Bold: Deal physical damage to target enemy and all enemies affected by Target Lock, then grant all allies Valor for 2 turns. This ability's cooldown is reduced by 1 for each enemy struck.

(Valor: Grant the Endurance 20% Turn Meter, and reduce its ultimate ability's cooldown by 1 at the end of turn)

So essentially if you hit 1 ship with Fortune Favors the Bold it reduces the next one by 1 turn and gives the Endurance 20% TM. But if I have target lock on 3 ships and then use Fortune Favors the Bold on a 4th ship all 4 ships get hit and my next Fortune Favors the Bold's cooldown is reduced by 4. So because of the massive cooldown reductions and Endurance TM gain it can seem like Mace's ship is taking turns over and over and certainly at a faster rate than other capital ships.

More importantly though the faster and more turns Mace's ship takes the quicker you can use Convergence the Endurance ultimate ability which makes all your ships immune to damage for 1 turn and give them Offense Up for 1 turn.

How can you stop this from happening?

1. Target ships that get target locks easily first (eg. Vader's Tie, Imperial Tie Fighter, Fives' ship, etc.)
    2. Remove debuffs on target locked ships with Ackbar's ship
    3. Use Maul's ship to stealth all but 1 ship you can't target lock multiple ships if you can't target them
    4. Keep a taunt on 1 ship at all times then that ship is the only one that can be target locked

Thank you for such a comprehensive explanation. I am not very familiar with it as my only firsthand exposure to it is using it during challenges. I'd lamented earlier that Mace's ship is broken, maybe that wasn't the correct word choice and all due respect to the maven Mageduckey, I don't think the capital ships are balanced at all. I'm not a crier for nerfs but certainly the Mace capital ship outshines the other two at this point in time, which could use a buff (maybe I should reserve comment until after Tarkin's Imperial Assault bug is worked out.) For me personally, if I'm doing battles and the Ackbar and secondarily Tarkin fleets are available to attack, then that's who I target. Not saying I can't beat Mace fleets, I do, just the win ratio is much lower.
  • PremierVenoth
    2285 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I converted to Mace early enough - Tarkin was a sinking ship in the arena...

I mean, face it, even Mace's basic applies Target Lock - Target lock is kind of the center piece to ship battles -- so many ability bonuses require it. It's an easy pump to Biggs. On top of the Taunt Dance with Plo Kloon. and the TM from his AoE.

I used to complain about Akbar's ship -- for a while the extra attacks really did seem like too much. And I would say with the Cheese brothers, Wiggs, and Darth Vader, the extra attacks, with endless Target Lock, making an nearly unkillable Biggs is still pretty hard..... And the extra attacks are going to be consistently more useful on defense.

My team, at least, on defense requires spreading out the target locks while taunt dancing your own toons. Plus the AI spams his super move - since it doesn't really affect you that much, you can wait for it then use your own easy enough.

Kudo's to anyone succeeding with Tarkin -- I don't know how you do it. Maybe when I 5 star this Tie Advanced and the Reaper ever becomes available, I'll give it another shot.
    Post edited by Mageduckey on
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Darksaber98
    427 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mace is the bomb
    i dont even use a full republic team
    actually at lower levels mace isnt as good as ackbar because of the extra protection that ackbar gave( at low levels ships dont have too much protection, health and damage but ackbar takes away those flaws)
    at higher levels windu becomes useful because every ship has lots of protection, health and damage on their own and mace target lock helps more, at lower levels mace is pretty much useless because the offense he gives is outshined by ackbars protection and crit damage and master plan ability
    tarkin is the only one who is pretty much useless outside zeta battles
    i speak from experience as when ships first came out i was no1 for a few days using just a 5* ackbar toon, by then my windu toon was already 7* g10 so i switched to windu ship(all my ships were in the lvl60s) and in 1 day i fell all the way to 150 rank from 1
    it took me close to 2 months under ackbar to climb all the way back to the top 20 and by then most of my ships were in the 73-78 range, started on windu ship and within 1 day went from 20 in arena to 1 in arena and have stayed there ever since
    so ackbar cap ship is more starting material, whereas windu cap ship is more ship endgame material
    similar to how jedi consular was starting game material whereas general kenobi is end game material
  • Syth_Hunter
    414 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I run Ackbar's ship and can take first nightly with no refreshes. Mace gave me fits before my ships were fully developed, but now the only time I lose is to a tarkin ship when I fail to defeat him before the Tie storm one shots my entire fleet.
    Post edited by Mageduckey on
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Options
    Woah I see a lot of tarkin smack talk. He can own just as good as anybody at high level fleet arena. I can't remember the last time I dropped out of the top 10. Running fotp tfp slave sun fac and Biggs under him.
  • Options
    Mazurka wrote: »
    Woah I see a lot of tarkin smack talk. He can own just as good as anybody at high level fleet arena. I can't remember the last time I dropped out of the top 10. Running fotp tfp slave sun fac and Biggs under him.

Credit then. I guess there is enough variation that the leader-boards are different. All I know is Tarkin is just meat to grind for me, maybe I just need to meet up with a real leveled comp. Akbar requires minor strategy - 90% of the people use him on my leaderboard and 90% of them have the same config - with Darth vader showing up to be annoying on the comp. The few Windu's with me are easily skippable, I don't even chance it - but when I get the Tie Advanced up -- that 5's should be able to clean our a mace comp too.

#AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    no tarkin is pretty much useless in my opinion unless you solely focus on him
    his expose pretty much gets resisted most of the time and is even more detrimental if opponents have rex(resisting heals protection)
    his executive order is awesome but it starts on cooldown so again by the time its usable some of you good and high dps ships are dead
    his aoe ability block attack is the best 2nd special attack in the game and the only thing that comes remotely close is mace red dots but even then tarkin shines here
    his imperial assault is also quite good, only drawback is that if you dodge it all 12 attacks are dodged and stun does not stick
    so tarkin is a good ship in its own right but its not good enough to compete with ackbar and mace
    if his 1st special did not start on cooldown and his ultimate attack attacked 12 times instead of damaging 12 times he would be able to compete quite well in arena