Opportunity Costs

So, after quietly watching people's reactions to both Qui Gon and the Jedi event I've decided to point something out.

The location of Qui Gon is relevant not only because it makes him slowish to farm, but also because he will directly impact the star levels of non-P2P Poes. Now, I know what you've all read; 4 or 5 stars are enough for Poe, so this isn't a big deal. And that's not wrong. But I doubt anyone would argue that the extra 2-3 stars and the additional damage, resistance, armor, and even health would be a bad thing. And, especially, the all important "power" rating, which can act as a deterrent or bullseye for an arena team. The defensive stats are highly relevant for most "normal" or balanced arena teams.

Qui Gon is touted as one of the most influential toons. And, after being whipped by him many want to own one, especially since he's such an iconic Jedi.

So what? Well, the presence of Qui in cantina shipments means that players are more likely to slow, stop, or not even start Poe progression. It means that Poe almost gets a star nerf (relative to other players and toons).

This is also happening in squad arena, with Sid/Ig/HK/Savage(speculation)/Han due to the Eeth farming. Lumi over phasma/Ig/poggle is less likely, but still happening. So, while these events and character placement seem dumb or silly, they are helping to slow and keep in check some of the issues with OP characters. No, it won't effect everyone. But one must remember that not everyone comepletee GW every day. Not everyone has a maxed Sid and a Maxed Phasma and a maxed Qui.

TLDR; the opportunity cost of farming Qui and other Jedi is helping to slow Poe starring a bit. It's not magic, but it is happening

Replies

• Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that we may actually be looking at the beggining of a new trend in cookie-cutter teams: an all-Jedi team. Until now you came across them once in a while, but they aren't all that powerful. If the new character really is Yoda (and come on, it WILL be him), he might be a really powerful leader, taking Jedi to a whole new level.

So, on the one hand, those who abandon their primary farming goals in order to go after Jedi, may drop down in the Arena rankings, but may actually benefit from this in the long run if the new character turns out to be powerful.
  • Options
    this theory could prove to be right

only time will tell

I was late on the poe party... so i'm farming him now, but QGJ is next.
  • Options
    No matter which way you go... In cantina especially there is always an opportunity cost. It's the slowest farm for shipments, with more highly useful toons to choose from.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, there's opportunity cost, but also marginal cost. The last star for Poe costs 100 shards, you can get a 4* Jinn for that. Most people find Poe is effective even at 4* or 5*. The main difference between a 4* and 7* Poe is 3k health, which is one hit (if that) so it's not going to have a big impact.
    Also remember that Poe now has 3 nodes he can be farmed on. I've been using them quite a lot while getting Jinn shipments.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    This is true, that the fifth, sixth, and seventh stars for Poe are not quite as necessary for most players. However, that 3k also comes with higher damage(in case he is called with an assist), higher resistances(potentially relevant given his heal), and higher power(which is a factor to some when choosing arena targets). I'd argue that the 3k hp is actually quite important for most players, esp F2P, as 3k hp can be multiple hits, potentially even more if those hits involve resisted effects. But for the cost, you're probably right.

My overall point, I think we can agree on, that Qui Gon being placed in cantina shipments does also work to slow/lower most nonP2P Poes, potentially acting as a pseudo nerf for the majority of players (since the opportunity cost of a 5th star might suddenly not be worth it compared to Qui Gon gaining his third or fourth).

Not to mention the giant farming roadblock that is this Jedi challenge for many of the non-whale players.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Sure, it will slow down the Poe gravy train a bit. And it's possible that Jinn can also dispel Poe's taunt which may help in some matches (my Jinn is sitting there with a bunch of shards but not activated yet so I haven't tried it.)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.