R2D2 Full Review & Character Guide

Prev1
Smithie
1427 posts Member
https://youtu.be/wbMLNaKYqCg

R2D2 is here!!

Full Review & Explanation of the brand new droid, including how to run him and how to mod.

Lots of gameplay in different teams as part of the EA Gamechangers program

What do you think of R2D2?

Replies

• Chewie_says_Aaarww
    753 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Great vid :smiley: ! I guess the zMaul meta is over.
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Options

Hmm... Considering he's running R2 in teams that could already beat Zaul. What I want to see is R2 making a team that couldn't touch Sith teams more competitive. Sticking him in a Rex+3 cleanse team isn't earth shattering
  • Options
    Reyalp wrote: »

Hmm... Considering he's running R2 in teams that could already beat Zaul. What I want to see is R2 making a team that couldn't touch Sith teams more competitive. Sticking him in a Rex+3 cleanse team isn't earth shattering

Yes, that's more interesting to know. Still think other squads with r2 will have a hard time. I only hope zMaul is able to beat r2 triple cleanse squads on offence.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Options

Yes, that's more interesting to know. Still think other squads with r2 will have a hard time. I only hope zMaul is able to beat r2 triple cleanse squads on offence.

These triple cleanse teams are easily beaten atm if you take B2 as a 5th char.
  • Options
    I hope so too lol
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options

I got some more videos coming with Resistance and R2 Quad Cleasn on defense vs Zaul
    Nihilus and R2 vs Zaul
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    Options
    Awesome video, thanks!!
  • Options
    Awesome vid!! I have him GL 10 with double zeta and love him! Run Jyn lead with him Cassian and Chaze. Super fun team!
  • Options
    Awesome vid!! I have him GL 10 with double zeta and love him! Run Jyn lead with him Cassian and Chaze. Super fun team!

i was considering this ... but then only 1 cleanse and how do you prevent the full shock/daze and then DN reduce CD if only baze starts with tenacity? if chirut gets stunned, everybody sits out 1-2 rounds before they use their specials

I was also thinking of jyn (L), chaze, r2, then GK/rex/barriss for the extra cleanse
  • JinSaotome
    682 posts Member
    Options
    Smithie wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/wbMLNaKYqCg

R2D2 is here!!

Full Review & Explanation of the brand new droid, including how to run him and how to mod.

Lots of gameplay in different teams as part of the EA Gamechangers program

What do you think of R2D2?

What's your take on a Droid team comp with him?
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Tkoch94
    147 posts Member
    Options
    I've really struggled in arena over the last week. I often found myself losing to zaul teams and sometimes triple cleanse teams with my zQGJ + full jedi team. Today I put R2 into my lineup, with a zeta on number crunch. Team was zQGJ, Zoda, GK, JKA, R2. I won 10/10 battles all very easily against a variety of opponents. Shard mates have said my jedi are a much tougher test on defense against zaul than what they previously were. Would highly recommend for a jedi team!
  • Tophar
    111 posts Member
    Options
    Tkoch94 wrote: »
    I've really struggled in arena over the last week. I often found myself losing to zaul teams and sometimes triple cleanse teams with my zQGJ + full jedi team. Today I put R2 into my lineup, with a zeta on number crunch. Team was zQGJ, Zoda, GK, JKA, R2. I won 10/10 battles all very easily against a variety of opponents. Shard mates have said my jedi are a much tougher test on defense against zaul than what they previously were. Would highly recommend for a jedi team!

@Tkoch94 who did you have in pre R2?
    I run zQGJ, yoda, JKA, zarris, and Zylo atm.

I'm about 2 weeks away from GK and 1 week from next Zeta, torn between yoda BM and R2 number crunch.
  • Options

jyn (L) Chaze Cassian K2SO is a fun and useful team. if only they could be meta again...
  • Options
    I run Zqgj,GK,Ani,zYoda and double zeta R2 at 240 speed and 81% potency.

https://swgoh.gg/u/alec/

Can beat any team easily, including zauls with fast sith assassins and triple cleanse teams and holding much better in defense(not sure if ppl avoid targeting me or not).
    It's not like i won't fall beyond top 10 or 20 but it's super fun to play with!
  • Options
    I run Zqgj,GK,Ani,zYoda and double zeta R2 at 240 speed and 81% potency.

https://swgoh.gg/u/alec/

Can beat any team easily, including zauls with fast sith assassins and triple cleanse teams and holding much better in defense(not sure if ppl avoid targeting me or not).
    It's not like i won't fall beyond top 10 or 20 but it's super fun to play with!

Awesome, r2 is the one who makes sure Jedi can beat zMaul squads :)
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    After about 15 battles against a maxed R2 in a few different chaze setups, I think R2 deserves an A grade. Even outside of an evasion meta he's potent. Two things:

1. The stat bump for allies is significant
    2. And this may be the most sneaky great piece...but that smoke screen when paired with Chaze is very deadly. R2's AI is coded to put Baze as the out of stealth characer - and with additional max health coming from R2 he's like trying to kill The Mountain. That lasts for 2 rounds. Changes your lineup as you must use an aoe cleanser to combat that setup - renders the DN dispel on basic useless in this case - or any buff removal that isn't aoe since it's the stealthed characters that you need to debuff. Sticking disabling debuffs on any other characters - like buff block, shock, etc. is tricky because of the crit dispel on basic and of course Chirrut.

From what I can tell Chaze just got a whole heck of a lot stronger with R2 in play now.
  • Options
    After about 15 battles against a maxed R2 in a few different chaze setups, I think R2 deserves an A grade. Even outside of an evasion meta he's potent. Two things:

2. And this may be the most sneaky great piece...but that smoke screen when paired with Chaze is very deadly. R2's AI is coded to put Baze as the out of stealth characer - and with additional max health coming from R2 he's like trying to kill The Mountain. That lasts for 2 rounds. Changes your lineup as you must use an aoe cleanser to combat that setup - renders the DN dispel on basic useless in this case - or any buff removal that isn't aoe since it's the stealthed characters that you need to debuff. Sticking disabling debuffs on any other characters - like buff block, shock, etc. is tricky because of the crit dispel on basic and of course Chirrut.

From what I can tell Chaze just got a whole heck of a lot stronger with R2 in play now.

That scares me. I don't have either Chirrut or Baze, and I am holding off as long as I can as I prefer dark side. The gearing to Baze and them both having 5 abilities(no matter how awesome) is daunting. I face a lot of R1 chaze's and Wiggs' chazes in arena daily. I beat them 50/50 depending on RNG. I haven't snooped on the top 50's rosters since R2 to see how many got him, but if that's the case, I bet they all add him.
  • Options

That scares me. I don't have either Chirrut or Baze, and I am holding off as long as I can as I prefer dark side. The gearing to Baze and them both having 5 abilities(no matter how awesome) is daunting. I face a lot of R1 chaze's and Wiggs' chazes in arena daily. I beat them 50/50 depending on RNG. I haven't snooped on the top 50's rosters since R2 to see how many got him, but if that's the case, I bet they all add him.

I'd recommend finding some and testing purposely early on so you can prep before everyone else gets R2 in place. DS user as well, especially Sith - and my winning % is way down from before. I had 95% win rate vs. the 3x cleanse / Rex meta with using my own DN lead, could beat other zDM teams easy with own zDM comp - elite DN leads with zDV were no problem. On a Nov '15 hard-launch server and take top spots daily - it's always been a competitive shard - so I wasn't facing cupcakes. However....

I'm going to need to retool in some fashion - I've started down the Trooper / Veers route since they have high damage and high health / tanking ability. Control teams that rely on debuffs (like Sith) just got squeezed even more what what I've faced.

R2 also presents a debuff issues since he's so fast and has a very high chance to stun you with a basic attack. The smoke screen though I think is an incredibly under-rated skill on first glance - when paired with the right characters it can be so deadly.
  • WR4TH0R
    170 posts Member
    Options

This, but it just highlights how OP imwe is. I think R2 is well balanced to be honest.

Say welcome back to the wiggs meta with R2chaze2.
  • Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha I'm 4 mats from a zeta Vader. I was gonna up my SA so I go first and get those permanent dots up. DN dispel an cooldown increase, EP to shock Baze so he can't taunt again. Shore to heal and soak damage/R2 stuns. Vader to AB as many people as possible. SA to stun R2. In a perfect RNG world....
  • Optimus11
    254 posts Member
    Options

That's the team I am running too. Got first place with it
    https://swgoh.gg/u/muadib/
  • Options
    Optimus11 wrote: »

did you zeta cass and jyn's unique or just jyn's lead?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Optimus11 wrote: »

Good job Usul.
  • Options
    WR4TH0R wrote: »

This, but it just highlights how OP imwe is. I think R2 is well balanced to be honest.

Say welcome back to the wiggs meta with R2chaze2.

No R2 is fine - he's good - I won't use OP for Chaze because with the right tools they are able to be handled, but you have to adjust to them and seeing them remain elite and be a pillar of multiple iteration of elite squads across various meta shifts is impressive. It's completely clear they are the top 2 toons to own for forming a backbone to a team. Whatever the highest grade for arena utility is, they should get the next echelon up and be all in their own bracket.
  • Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha I'm 4 mats from a zeta Vader. I was gonna up my SA so I go first and get those permanent dots up. DN dispel an cooldown increase, EP to shock Baze so he can't taunt again. Shore to heal and soak damage/R2 stuns. Vader to AB as many people as possible. SA to stun R2. In a perfect RNG world....

I think you'll need an AOE dispel in there. Remember zDV removes TM and you'll be putting slow down on baze. So if you don't dispel him first he's going to remain in taunt and you'll keep yanking his TM on in to the next turn as Chirrut, etc. go in to their second turn. Might want to try DT instead of EP, or possibly instead of Shore. Sounds like a good approach generally though. Mod Vader to go before DN right?
  • Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha Definitely Vader going before DN. My DT is terrible and farming him would conflict with SA, who is irreplaceable, but I was hoping on second round DN dispels Baze and EP can shock so he doesn't get it again. It will all be very RNG dependent, but with what I have currently and for the near foreseeable future, it is the best I can do in my shard. I will never be in the top ten, I just want to stay top fifty with the advent of R2.
  • Options
    Does Wiggs make a comeback? I was thinking tripple cleanse w/ rex, chaze, gk, r2. this destroys zaul w/ no trouble...but this can not handle the barriss/5's/tripple tanks etc ... just not enough dps. but wiggs could handle those light sided teams well
  • Options
    Does Wiggs make a comeback? I was thinking tripple cleanse w/ rex, chaze, gk, r2. this destroys zaul w/ no trouble...but this can not handle the barriss/5's/tripple tanks etc ... just not enough dps. but wiggs could handle those light sided teams well

"Quadruple cleaner" is more accurate with r2's 1st zeta..!

Wiggs with chaze are becoming more powerful with our little droid,could easily claim top 5 now but I doubt they'll be a threat to face in defence
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha

I hate following meta and I'm like you and will usually find ways to counter the meta and run something else such as DN lead currently that I did awhile ago.

I feel like chaze ruined a lot to this game because it removed skill with team building since you can center basically any single team around chaze.

Looking at getting troopers going to be different once again.

Waiting for the day darksode gets a duo like chaze with actual synergy that's on a similar level
  • Jefferx
    362 posts Member
    Options
    R2d2 double zeta and phoenix. Did you try it ?