Checking for updates hang, part 2: possible clue

McBee
228 posts Member
To recap, the game hangs on the "checking for updates" splash screen forever, until eventually going black while using LTE data. We've determined that it seems to be primarily affecting T-Mobile and possibly ATT Android customers, and all of their many subsidiaries. Wifi seems to work fine for most people, although there are still reported issues. Please comment below if any of this is or is NOT your experience.

The possible clue is, I was in range of wifi, but had not turned it on yet. I was looking at the black screen swgoh had produced for me while on LTE. When I turned on wifi, the first thing that happened was my Google Play handle popped up with my achievements, and connected. Then the game started loading normally.

My armchair analysis is that the hangup is while on LTE, between swgoh and Google Play. If the game can't connect to Play, then it can't load anything. Please investigate this issue as a possible bug between Google and swgoh on certain data networks, and we may find the answer.

Can anyone else confirm this as happening as well? While in range of wifi, keep wifi off and try to load the game. When it hangs, switch on wifi, and see if your Play account pops up first.

Replies