Offensive Rating. An attempt to calculate normalized damage vs speed.

Triqui
2790 posts Member
Hi everybody.
I've been toying with the data in SWGOHcantina, looking for damage. I have noticed that current in-game damage number (included those modified in Cantina by skill level) are a bit misleading. The reason of that, is because we look at damage, but not at damage "per second". Some units might have slightly less damage than others, but if they hit twice at fast, they are doing actually twice as much damage.

So I decided to normalize it. Much like "offensive rating" in baskteball measures points each 100 possesions, instead of points per game, I decided to use a formula to normalize damage respect an "average turn".

To do so, I calculated the average speed of characters, which happen to be 118. That means characters slower han 118 will do less "true damage" than the damage listed by hit, when factoring damage "per round", while characters with above 118 will do the opposite.

A few caveats: this actually undersells speed. As a character who acts first can do more damage than listed, while a char that act last can do less than that, if he dies or combat ends too soon for him. More important, if the game works by ticks, then probably this should be normalized toward ticks, not toward average speed, as 143 and 160 tend to act at the same time. However, they do not do so in the second turn, and we might have been missing something in the way turn meter works, per some devs in Reddit.

More importantly: some units have ways to self-improve their turnmeter (like gaining TM on crit), and others play in teams with sinergy that gives them extra speed or extra turn meter (such as poggle with droids).

So in no way this is a perfect representation of the true damage a character does, as such is impossible to do. We would need to factor a lot of things, including survivality (as the chances that a 9000 hp char do damage twice is lower than the chances a 18000 hp char does). Hence, this OffRating is more like a guide, a draft that allow to look at characters' damage differently. In a sense, I suppose that the game's Arena Power include this kind of data, only more accurate. However, it's inside a black box, and share space with other ratings (such as hp or healing).

I hope this help someone. If it doesn't, well, it has only been a few minutes :smile: Maybe when I have time, I'll try to do it more accurate, including chances to shoot twice (this is clearly underselling FOTP for example), or to gain turn metter on attacks, etc. Maybe also special attacks, normalized by Cooldown, and average assist damage, etc. It's just an early draft.

There you go:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84oHvHOWBqKdHR5dldzaVBXZWc/view?usp=sharing

Column E represent how much your damage improves the average speed (that is, faster than average chars will gain a bit of "damage" in this OffRtg). While Column F represent how high respect the average OffRtg your own OffRtg is.