Vader rework - Force choke

Prev1
Secret_Peak971
39 posts Member
edited May 2017
Does anyone else think Vader should get a rework to implement this iconic move? It could be target to one character and kill them after say three turns taking away a portion if their health each time?
Post edited by J0K3R on

Replies

• Bennehftw
    316 posts Member
    Options
    Ooo, I like that.

Like an annihilate with a 3 turn duration, and on the third automatically KO him.

But it has to be dispellable. With maybe a 3 turn CD. Otherwise we're basically fighting a faster nihilist.
  • Options
    Bennehftw wrote: »
    Ooo, I like that.

Like an annihilate with a 3 turn duration, and on the third automatically KO him.

But it has to be dispellable. With maybe a 3 turn CD. Otherwise we're basically fighting a faster nihilist.

Yeah I agree because even if it only lasts 1 turn then gets dispelled it would still take away like a third of health/protection and it would make progress to making Vader viable at the top of arena again perhaps?
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Vader's abilities are ok I think. I think his slow speed is what keeps him out of being really competitive. With such slow speed it makes it easy to shut him down with ability blocks.
  • Options
    He should have some better basic or other attack that isn't dependent on debuffs being present. The CB is awesome when there's debuffs, but in a ten up / cleanse world it's really weak.
  • Tulkas
    253 posts Member
    Options
    +10000
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    If you give him another special, the AI will make him useless. He will use the wrong ability at the wrong time. Crush and culling blade is all he needs.
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    +100000 That would be awesome, Force Crush is a little bit lame in my opinion
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    A rework of force crush, would negate his zeta and culling blade, so basically you are asking for a complete rework which is not what vader needs. A tweak here or there maybe, but not a full on rework.
  • Options
    He should have some better basic or other attack that isn't dependent on debuffs being present. The CB is awesome when there's debuffs, but in a ten up / cleanse world it's really weak.

zAder.. *mic drop*

• J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    One day i hope they add unique: blaster deflection
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • MayAddy622
    298 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Bennehftw wrote: »
    Ooo, I like that.

Keep it real, Tarkin is the only one who can dispell.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

"Enough of this vader, release him"

"As you wish"

Or make it synergistic. Vader applies choke, and effects work as intended at the correct time. But if tark is present, he can call off vader, dispelling the choke, and applying "motivation" to all empire allies. Motivation gives critical chance up, speed up, offense up, defense up for 2 turns. Or something to that effect.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    His force crush has way too long of a cool down. So many heroes have much better skills on shorter cooldowns. He was an original hero and his skills just are aligned with today's skill cooldown durations.

I wouldn't mind force crush getting intermingled with a force choke on the primary target. This could compensate for the long cooldown and it wouldn't make for wrong choices by defender controlled Vaders.

Finally, he does need a unique. He is replaceable in any squad in which he isn't the leader. And as @JohnnySteelAlpha mentioned, too many cleanses now to make his cb worth anything outside of his leader role.

I love the idea of blaster reflect and I'd like to see the "can't be dispelled" clause moved from his lead to his unique and add a new clause to his lead skill of: empire/sith allies add a dot when they inflict a debuff.
  • Options
    Darth Vader really should be a 5 skill character.
    Chirrut and Baze get 5 skills, but VADER doesn't? Who's flying this thing?
  • CameronD
    150 posts Member
    Options
    I like this. Butttttttttt if Vader is defeated within the three turns force choke begins, the enemy is released!
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    I think vaders abilities are fine, he just could use a unique
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    Luke should get the blaster deflect. The force choke isn't a bad idea on the primary target. It could also have a secondary effect to stop assists and counter attacks.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    Instead of 3 turns causing damage i thought of this: Kill enemy target when their below 40% health instantly, also, dispell all debuffs from Sith / Empire allies when using this skill. If the target has health above 40% he'll receive no dmg, but the dispell will work.

His Force choke it's a classical move, even though i run Jedi, i think this would be cool.
  • Options

Make culling blade where it works with buffs as well a short debuffs, much like Boba's execute.

• ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    Jopa_Tice wrote: »

Make culling blade where it works with buffs as well a short debuffs, much like Boba's execute.

His culling blade already crits in the high 80Ks. What exactly are you asking for with this adjustment? Why not make him able to mow down a rancor with his backswing as well?
  • Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

His culling blade already crits in the high 80Ks. What exactly are you asking for with this adjustment? Why not make him able to mow down a rancor with his backswing as well?

Haha vaders backswing is probably worth more than a wiggs special....in the canon.

However force choke is very much iconic with vader. Perhaps his force crush should invoke a choke on the primary target but no dots. Dots and speed down still applied to all other toons. The effect could be similar to the special attack from the side droids in p3 aat that forces the primary target to lose tm whenever they take damage for 1 turn.

I dont use vader personally but this would be a cool boost to his ability set.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    nice!!!

i say add a choke effect on the initial target & the standard dots & spd down on all targets. choke would then kill the initially targeted toon in 3 turns if it had no protection, removing protection entirely if it had any instead - so as not to make it too op.

if not viable for such an update, then perhaps dun moch or kinetite can be added as his unique. dun moch can cause defense & tenacity down on his targeted toon at the end of every turn w/ a chance at inflicting it also on an addl random jedi or rebel. or, he can fire a ball of kinetite randomly at a non debuffed toon w/ the chance of damaging an addl debuffed toon (sort of like a weakened palpatine unique) w/c inflicts 1 dot on a successful hit to each.

but yeah, i agree, w/ the current release & toon cadence, it does seem like the dark lord is being weakened significantly w/c isnt supposed to be the case.

yes, addl synergy added to tarkin related to vader would be fun too. allowing tarkin to dispel debuffs fron opponents when w/ vader then turning it into motivational buffs for empire toons would be great too - of course, at a risk to his squad (again, wouldnt wanna make it op to cause an imbalance on the game).

:smile:
  • Options
    I dunno, I don't think we need another insta-kill in the game. Nihilus has shown how easily such a thing can end up so important that it's on practically every arena team.

I would probably go for something like: Stun the target and deals a large portion of their health. Persists until Vader is hit by a single-target ability or stunned. Does the damage again at the start of Vader's turns for as long as it remains on the target, however Vader can only use his basic attack while this effect is on someone. Zeta lets him use his Saber Throw as well.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

This is a nice idea. With all the tenacity and cleanse teams taking over right now it makes Vader pretty poor in arena. This would be a simple change that wouldn't be too overpowered in my opinion. Vader is already very slow, and combined with a long cooldown on Culling Blade he struggles hard. His basic got a nice damage buff a while ago, but it is still on the low side compared to a lot of other top-tier attackers, and combined with such a slow speed then yeah...
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »

This is a nice idea. With all the tenacity and cleanse teams taking over right now it makes Vader pretty poor in arena. This would be a simple change that wouldn't be too overpowered in my opinion. Vader is already very slow, and combined with a long cooldown on Culling Blade he struggles hard. His basic got a nice damage buff a while ago, but it is still on the low side compared to a lot of other top-tier attackers, and combined with such a slow speed then yeah...

oh, nice idea! simple & i like it!

but, wouldnt it be just a redundancy in terms of fett having the same ability already?

either way, you have a very good point.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Culling Blade hits harder than execute, but I think it has a longer cooldown, and Execute prevents the ability to revive whom it kills. Culling Blade on a killing blow also gives Vader 100% cooldown, and a killing blow on Execute reduces Bobba's cooldowns by 1 I think. So there are still some differences between the abilities that don't make them too similar to one another in my opinion.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    they could just redo the graphics and have force choke work just like force crush, dots and all. it would just be a mass choke instead of crsh. ez-pz. But his basic needs a buff
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • CatoNines
    423 posts Member
    Options
    Watching the last 5 minutes of Rogue One, absolute terror.
    That's what Vader should be like.
  • Dark_Helmet152
    529 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A bit off topic but does anyone run zVader lead with Sith Assassin? It would speed him up to where he can apply DOTs before any tenacity up toon beside Yoda can go and the permanent DOTs will keep SA permanently stealthed.
  • Options
    A bit off topic but does anyone run zVader lead with Sith Assassin? It would speed him up to where he can apply DOTs before any tenacity up toon beside Yoda can go and the permanent DOTs will keep SA permanently stealthed.

still won't work vs triple cleanse.
  • Options

still won't work vs triple cleanse.
    Why not?