What am I doing wrong? (500-ish rank, stuck)

Hello all, new member here. Been playing since a little after Christmas and this is my first time ever playing a game like this. I only got it on my iPad since I grew up when SW came out (ya, I am old) and now my kids love the franchise with all the new characters and movies. To start off with I was clueless and mainly just going after characters me or my kids liked and didnt really care much about Arena rankings or things like that. Now I feel more competitive and have started reading up on things but I still think I am messing something up. I see all these posts or even vids of guys who seem like their teams are similar but ranked WAY higher!

That being said, am totally F2P and I am currently ranked around 450-550.

Here is my character lineup that I can pick from in order of power:
All of these guys are Level 61. I am at Lvl 64 game-wise
Sid - 6*, Gear VII
Lumi - 5*, VII
Poggle - 5*, VI
JC - 4*, VII
Dooku - 4*, VII
Daka - 4*, VII
Phasma - 4*, VII
GS - 3*, VII
Poe - 3*, VII
These two are Lvl 59
IG88 - 4*, VI
IG86 - 5*, VI

I feel like out of 10 solid characters I should be able to rank better than the 500's! My issue is that if I use my 5 shots at Arena I can get up to around 450. The problem is the next morning I am knocked back down to the 600's so I need to battle back up.

I freely admit I have a ton of other characters that I have wasted time and energy on but my kids love them so they stick around. People like Chewy, Han, Opress, Jawa, and I just got Luke started. I also have some decent hitters like RP and FOTP but both have no health but I can farm RP if needed.

So what am I missing? I can mix up my team and win a lot of battles. I have gone (Lead 1st) - Poggle, IG88, IG86, GS, Poe. Took Poe out for Sid or Lumi on that team. Phasma, Daka, Lumi, Sid, Poggle or Poe. Then a whole bunch of Sid lead combos. All my teams normally have Sid and Lumi and most have Poggle right now. I didnt start using Poe until reading about him here but I still dont think I am using him well.

I dont mind sitting where I am at in Arena as I get enough to buy at least a set of shards a day but I feel like I should be higher. About the only nice thing I can say for having such a spread out team is that I am figuring out how to finish GW almost daily now. If I run into one of the crazy 6 level higher max gear squads I can send in a suicide squad to take the main hits and specials then go back in with my heavy hitters to hopefully win.

Replies

• Options
    7* some characters is a start lol
    Since arena is only 5 characters, it doesnt matter if you have 20 5* gear 7 solid characters, it only matters when you have 3 or 4 6-7* gear 8 guys that can put out some damage
    I use 7* sid 7* lumi 6* phasma 5* poggle and 5* poe
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    Star and equip up your leader and many will skip right by you for an "easier" target. 7* Phasma or Sid are probably your best bets for concealment right now. Maybe spend crystals to refresh arena to jump away from anyone who specifically targets you.
  • Options
    You're spreading to thin for a FTP. Focus on one lineup.
  • Options
    It may be worth considering dropping 50 crystals a say for 5 more battles in PVP. You will get the crystals back in rank
  • Options
    You mentioned running Poggle, IG-86, IG-88, GS, and Poe. If you want to focus all your shipments on an arena team this team comes from a good variety of places and would be good once starred and geared. Poggle/IG-86 in GW, GS from cantina node, Poe from cantina shipments, IG-88 from arena. I am actually working on a droid team myself with HK-47 instead of GS but either works.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Options

ASD_Dad wrote: »

Sid - 6*, Gear VII
    Lumi - 5*, VII
    Poggle - 5*, VI
    JC - 4*, VII
    Dooku - 4*, VII
    Daka - 4*, VII
    Phasma - 4*, VII
    GS - 3*, VII
    Poe - 3*, VII
    These two are Lvl 59
    IG88 - 4*, VI
    IG86 - 5*, VI

You are too greedy and trying to get everyone lol.
    500rank look right for you.

Try pick 5-6 Heroes and focus on them!!
  • Options
    Definitely, you should only level/star up/gear up your primary team of 5 characters at a time. Choose 5 characters which you use in arena, and work on them ONLY.
  • Monx
    43 posts Member
    Options
    You need to prioritize quality over quantity. Many charcacters might be good in GW but not in PvP.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sadly this game punishes you for gathering multiple heroes. The most efficient way to play this game would be Poe, poggle, droid team + maxed Luminara and JC for GW. Just these 7 chars.

I made the same mistake too. I left my main team at 4* and 60, to try multiple team formations with other chars. It should be more fair to getting ranked depending on your top 5 character's power level, than your account's level.
  • Options
    You need to star and gear up 5 characters which will help you in both arena and gw. I suggest the cookiecutter of sid, lumi, jc and poe. These are efficient to farm at the same time. Once jc is 5 or 6 stars you can switch to gs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. When I started playing it was all about characters, it was just fun to get them. Now I would like to move up the ranks a bit. Yesterday after my last battle I was at 445. This morning I am at 724. Normally I just pick the highest ranked team I can that doesnt have crazy power above me and can normally beat them somewhat easily. That gets me back up over the 500 mark hopefully for the extra prizes.

I'll stop going after everybody and concentrate on one team. It's going to take awhile to farm that many shards!
  • SamSausagehead
    99 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ASD_Dad wrote: »
    Hello all, new member here. Been playing since a little after Christmas and this is my first time ever playing a game like this. I only got it on my iPad since I grew up when SW came out (ya, I am old) and now my kids love the franchise with all the new characters and movies. To start off with I was clueless and mainly just going after characters me or my kids liked and didnt really care much about Arena rankings or things like that. Now I feel more competitive and have started reading up on things but I still think I am messing something up. I see all these posts or even vids of guys who seem like their teams are similar but ranked WAY higher!

Sid - 6*, Gear VII
    Lumi - 5*, VII
    Poggle - 5*, VI
    JC - 4*, VII
    Dooku - 4*, VII
    Daka - 4*, VII
    Phasma - 4*, VII
    GS - 3*, VII
    Poe - 3*, VII
    These two are Lvl 59
    IG88 - 4*, VI
    IG86 - 5*, VI

I feel like out of 10 solid characters I should be able to rank better than the 500's! My issue is that if I use my 5 shots at Arena I can get up to around 450. The problem is the next morning I am knocked back down to the 600's so I need to battle back up.

I freely admit I have a ton of other characters that I have wasted time and energy on but my kids love them so they stick around. People like Chewy, Han, Opress, Jawa, and I just got Luke started. I also have some decent hitters like RP and FOTP but both have no health but I can farm RP if needed.

So what am I missing? I can mix up my team and win a lot of battles. I have gone (Lead 1st) - Poggle, IG88, IG86, GS, Poe. Took Poe out for Sid or Lumi on that team. Phasma, Daka, Lumi, Sid, Poggle or Poe. Then a whole bunch of Sid lead combos. All my teams normally have Sid and Lumi and most have Poggle right now. I didnt start using Poe until reading about him here but I still dont think I am using him well.

I dont mind sitting where I am at in Arena as I get enough to buy at least a set of shards a day but I feel like I should be higher. About the only nice thing I can say for having such a spread out team is that I am figuring out how to finish GW almost daily now. If I run into one of the crazy 6 level higher max gear squads I can send in a suicide squad to take the main hits and specials then go back in with my heavy hitters to hopefully win.

Need to get some 7*

Also, you have too many healers in your main line up. I've found that one healer is ideal for a pvp team. Two or more just takes up space where an attacker or tank could fit. In a 5 min PvP there just isn't a need for two healers.

I'd focus on:

Phasma
    Sid
    GS
    JC/Lumi
    Poe

Or

Sid
    GS
    Dooku
    JC/Lumi
    Poggle

I say JC/Lumi because everyone has their preference. My JC is 7* and gear 8 lvl 70. I prefer his 2-3 round Mass heal and cookdown reduction but some like lumi ability block and 6 turn heal with heal over time. It's really whoever you like using more. They're pretty neck and neck
    [SøtFØ] Leader
  • Options
    The main reason to focus on one 5 man team to star and gear up, is that your power will increase, which means more people will skip over you and you won't fall so far in Arena each day.
  • Options
    Farming for 100 shards for Sid is going to take a while! He is my main lead right now so maybe if I have him up there people will skip over me. Should I worry about leveling him up as well? I have well over $5.5M credits, just dont have enough training droids to do much good.
  • Options
    I was f2p for a quite a while before spending to speed things up. Based on my experience being in your shoes and knowing what helped me, I'd strongly suggest choosing a core team to include sid and lumi at this point and leveling and adding stars. Keep throwing equipment at them. For me it was like a teeter-totter. When the game started to tip from very hard to much easier it happened quickly after I put training and ability pads and grind time into the right places.

Keeps at it. You'll get there.