Stick with AoE build or switch to high single target dps?

Hello all,

I've been building up an AoE team that I think might do well but wouldn't want to waste too much time if it won't hold up in the current high dps meta, or post patch.

I'm level 67 and rank 150-200 in arena, with aspirations to get into top 10 eventually if possible.

Heroes:

6* (0/100) Sid G8 (Leader)
7* Lumi G8
5* (65/85) IG88 G7
6* (0/100) Luke G7
5* Poe G8

^^ Current Arena Team ^^

5* (0/85) Kylo Ren G7
5* Fives G7
5* JC G8
4* Phasma G7
3* (20/30) QGJ G7
3* (15/30) Geo Soldier G7
3* (10/30) Dooku G5

Those are my notable heroes. I have stopped farming Kylo for the time being and started on GS - can't seem to make up my mind which direction to go. After getting Sid to 6* and Lumi to 7*, I've been saving my arena/GW tokens until the new patch/shard shop, or until I zero in on a permanent 5 for arena.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I do go AoE, would poggle benefit me more than QGJ with his turn 1 offense up?

Open to all suggestions/criticisms.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Options
    Replace Luke with poggle. You want poggle to give 88 as big as a punch as he can have. Your poe goes first, you'll almost kill the entire team with sid dots + poggle + 88 AoE before they get a turn.

Lumi is good and would work in the team as she has a powerful nuke but her heal is not needed, but I still like qgj better just in case you need to take buffs away ( namely poe ). Ig 86 is also a good option to make sure to kill off the biggest threat, but GS can do that as well.
  • Options
    I finish top 5 and some days 1st when I have time to lend that last hour. I run AOE team with Poggie. Unfortunately to compete with Poe you have to use Poe. I use Sid/Poggle/Kylo/Poe/Lumi to get past Poe teams with Poe/Rey/QJG/FOTP/ whomever.
    I prefer to use Vader or IG-88 instead of Poe but it's too tough against all teams in top 20 who use Poe.
  • Options
    I'm personally not a fan of DPS characters because they are not versitile. Kylo for example / High Health, AOE that activates 100% Counter, a DPS that can crit at 10K, heal block, auto cool down abilities.
  • Options
    In some respects, AOE team will be weaker, because of the Poe nerf. He'll be less reliable against Dooku stuns, and the fact that he'll only expose one enemy character on average means a lot less AOE.

On the other hand, DOT is getting a buff, so it will be able to kill characters with its tick.

If you go AOE, run Sid(Lead), Poggle, 88, Kylo and Poe. QGJ isn't reliable with his offensive buff, so you really need Poggle.

Otherwise, Phasma(lead), GS, QGJ, Poe, And Kylo, Dooku, Sid or Lumi would be effective. I think this team is more viable long term
  • Options
    Yeah even so far with QGJ just in GW his offense up doesn't always happen so I do feel like poggle is needed for an aoe team.

l3end3r wrote: »
    In some respects, AOE team will be weaker, because of the Poe nerf. He'll be less reliable against Dooku stuns, and the fact that he'll only expose one enemy character on average means a lot less AOE.

On the other hand, DOT is getting a buff, so it will be able to kill characters with its tick.

If you go AOE, run Sid(Lead), Poggle, 88, Kylo and Poe. QGJ isn't reliable with his offensive buff, so you really need Poggle.

Otherwise, Phasma(lead), GS, QGJ, Poe, And Kylo, Dooku, Sid or Lumi would be effective. I think this team is more viable long term

I like the look of the aoe team you describe as that is what I was thinking too... However, I feel like your second option you listed might serve me better for whenever the meta eventually does change, or new heroes come out. It would be easier to transition into another squad down the road.

For a dps team, I had in mind going with Sid/Phasma lead, Poe, QGJ, GS and either IG86 or Res Pilot as he looks to be really good at max stars/gear.

• Options
    Nightside wrote: »
    Yeah even so far with QGJ just in GW his offense up doesn't always happen so I do feel like poggle is needed for an aoe team.

l3end3r wrote: »

I like the look of the aoe team you describe as that is what I was thinking too... However, I feel like your second option you listed might serve me better for whenever the meta eventually does change, or new heroes come out. It would be easier to transition into another squad down the road.

For a dps team, I had in mind going with Sid/Phasma lead, Poe, QGJ, GS and either IG86 or Res Pilot as he looks to be really good at max stars/gear.

I'm a bigger fan of 86, but either would work just fine. Solid lineup. I'm going for that team + Rey instead of 86. I'll run Sid for now, but would like to farm Phasma next and try her out.

Are you going for the Jedi challenge? That could mix things up as well
  • Options
    [/quote]

I'm a bigger fan of 86, but either would work just fine. Solid lineup. I'm going for that team + Rey instead of 86. I'll run Sid for now, but would like to farm Phasma next and try her out.

Are you going for the Jedi challenge? That could mix things up as well[/quote]

I find RP intriguing but with 86's ally assist and droid synergies(looking forward for GG and Droideka to make an appearance) that he fits into more squads.

Probably not this round of Jedi challenge as I only have lumi, JC and QGJ, as well as 2* Jedi knight guardian, but not going to waste any resources on her. For now I will keep slowly farming dooku to somewhat help with the rise in Jedi's.

Not to keep bothering you, but as far as your second option goes, would you recommend bringing GS to 7* before going back and finishing Kylo? Or finish Kylo, gain more Cantina tokens in the process, and use Luke until GS is 5*+ ?

Cheers
  • l3end3r
    895 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go straight for GS. I feel like my Luke is more valuable than a Kylo, although I have a different team build with 7* Poggle and Luke crits for like 12-13 k. With that said, Kylo could help you move up the PVP ladder, I don't really know how you're doing in it. If you think you could break into top 5 with Kylo, then go get him to 7*

And no bothers, I like helping people out on this forum
  • Options
    I sorta wish I had started with the high dps route but at this point I think bringing 5* Kylo, 6* Sid and almost 6* IG88 all to 7* and unlocking poggle & bringing him to at least 5* would be quicker than the other route. By then, if meta changes I think Sid, Kylo, and Poggle would all still be versatile and could be implented into other squads.
  • Options
    With the meta moving to even more speed with leader abilities affecting turn 1, are either of the two teams I proposed still worth farming? I know it would be hard to say so early, but just looking for some insight or opinions on how it would affect AoE/heavy dps teams even more.