Gear Crunch in Perspective

bolobaby
275 posts Member
For reasons of my own, I've been stockpiling guild currency. Today, I will reach 10k guild currency total. Let's do a quick comparison to see what that 10k currency is worth:

1) I could buy shards for a toon 25 times. At 5 shards per purchase, I would get 125 total shards for a given toon. Pretty good.

2) If I wanted mk5 furnaces, or mk5 droid callers, I could purchase those only 15 times. There are 2 per purchase, which means I would get a total of 30 salvage for a furnace or droid caller - not even enough to make one full piece of gear.

This comparison kind of shocked me, especially since to complete a full furnace or droid caller, additional components are required.

Finally, think about the effort required to save up 10k guild currency. For all that effort, you have enough to get 60% of the salvage needed for a piece of gear? And only one part of that gear?

Seems off.

Replies

• Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only time I've used guild currency on gear is when I have 46/50 or 48/50 on raid gear.

I'll sometimes also get a biotech implant or mk2 zaltin bacta gel if I need one since it is a whole piece.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, the only time I've used guild currency on gear is when I have 46/50 or 48/50 on raid gear.

I'll sometimes also get a biotech implant or mk2 zaltin bacta gel if I need one since it is a whole piece.

Yeah same here.. i only buy gear when it's last needed part lol.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    What else to spend guild currency on? I have enough toons to gear up already, why buy more? Yeah buying the gear is slow, but man is it even slower otherwise.
  • Ambassador
    1653 posts Member
    Options
    The only toon in guild shop I haven't maxed is Gamorrean Guard - and he's firmly at 70/100, just in case I need to finish him "quickly".

So, what else to spend currency on, indeed. Between an average of 200 coins per day from guild activity (often more), and the coins from the raids (6k per week at the top spots), it takes only two weeks to have 50 Droid Caller components. Three weeks if you're low-scoring in the raids.

I'd call it fine. Especially as you get to pick gear unavailable outside of raids.

Off course, don't go buying gear you can farm...
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ender22 wrote: »
    What else to spend guild currency on? I have enough toons to gear up already, why buy more? Yeah buying the gear is slow, but man is it even slower otherwise.

You'll want those characters eventually though. Take jyn, she is one of five that show up in her spot. If you don't buy her every time she shows up, it'll take you forever to get her. Same goes for a lot of characters. Even having bought jyn since she was released, its taking me over 3 months to 7* her.

Same with fleet shipments. You should always buy the rare ships and characters every time they show up (Rex, Poe, bistan, tie advanced, slave, scimitar, grevious, chirrut), and obtain the common ships from war.
  • bolobaby
    275 posts Member
    Options
    Jyn isn't going to do you any good if you can't gear her.

Getting 60% of 1/2 of 1/6 of a gear level for 10k guild credits seems... underwhelming.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    Cm3Po wrote: »

You'll want those characters eventually though. Take jyn, she is one of five that show up in her spot. If you don't buy her every time she shows up, it'll take you forever to get her. Same goes for a lot of characters. Even having bought jyn since she was released, its taking me over 3 months to 7* her.

Same with fleet shipments. You should always buy the rare ships and characters every time they show up (Rex, Poe, bistan, tie advanced, slave, scimitar, grevious, chirrut), and obtain the common ships from war.

Reasonable exchange currency btw in fleet for certain gear. 5 farmable rare gear cost 600.. if i'm tired farm stun cuff, gun, mk5 sienar (vader belonging), i just buy them. But not with gear raid, it's expensive u only get 2 lol
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    Options
    bolobaby wrote: »
    Jyn isn't going to do you any good if you can't gear her.

Getting 60% of 1/2 of 1/6 of a gear level for 10k guild credits seems... underwhelming.

Unless you're newer, you should be able to gear her unless you recklessly throw all your gear on a toon the second you get it. Even if you have no gear, you could get her to tier 10 in a couple weeks with crystals. Only thing that holds me back is carbantis and holo lens usually.
  • Eclipso
    199 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing the math on this.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    @Cm3Po just hit 85 about 2 month ago, still count as new comer i think :lol:

Zeta is expensive (for me in fleet), and my main team don't have zeta abilities (wiggs, chaze, srp). Currently 7/20 zetas, just depend on challenge.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options

Of course I'll want jyn eventually, when my need to gear slows down, I'll unlock her at the right time. If I do it now, she's just going to sit there. That effort could have been spent making my current stock badass.

Fleet shipments, all I get are rare ships, and that's because I am not so over flooded with toons. Characters, meh, I don't buy them anymore on fleet. I did with Vader, but he is 7* now. Eventually I will again with clones, but their gear will take way longer than it will take to finish echo and Cody. Bistan though, eee not for me at all.
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    Options

Of course I'll want jyn eventually, when my need to gear slows down, I'll unlock her at the right time. If I do it now, she's just going to sit there. That effort could have been spent making my current stock badass.

Fleet shipments, all I get are rare ships, and that's because I am not so over flooded with toons. Characters, meh, I don't buy them anymore on fleet. I did with Vader, but he is 7* now. Eventually I will again with clones, but their gear will take way longer than it will take to finish echo and Cody. Bistan though, eee not for me at all.

I'm just saying, she will take forever to get the shards for. Especially if they release more characters in that same spot. I've even been farming the gamorrean for this reason
  • Options

I'm just saying, she will take forever to get the shards for. Especially if they release more characters in that same spot. I've even been farming the gamorrean for this reason

It depends if you actually want Jyn for any of the teams you are building. Yeah three months to farm her is quite a while, but most non whales have years worth of gear collecting to finish the toons they are already working on, and new must have toons are coming out faster than they can be geared. I have her at 7* because I got halfway there from tourneys, but that was probably a mistake. Even if both myself and this game somehow stick around for five more years she will likely still only be gear 8, which translates as worthless even now, never mind then.
  • Options
    The gear crunch wouldn't be quite as bad if they didn't keep releasing characters that you simply must have to be competitive. Unfortunately, sticking to gearing the toons you already have isn't going to get you very far. Which utterly sucks.
  • Options
    Just put MK3 Sinear Holo Projectors back in guild store for lvl 85 players. No reason to take those out but leave in all the other 20 salvage items except as a real slap in the face to players
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    Draw4wild wrote: »
    Just put MK3 Sinear Holo Projectors back in guild store for lvl 85 players. No reason to take those out but leave in all the other 20 salvage items except as a real slap in the face to players

+1

I think around my 30ish toon need them.. or at least make mk3 sienar guarantee drop when farming. I'm busy farming cuff, gun, detonator, etc. I can't focus farm on that bloody sienar gear that most of toon need it.