If the AI in Arena battles was changed....

nite0wl29
412 posts Member
...do you think your chances of climbing the arena ranks would be better or worse? I just added Zylo to my Zader and on offense, it has been a LOT easier to beat other Zylos and Chaze. Obviously because the AI doesn't spam his zeta special. What if the AI was changed to do so? I ask this because I want the AI to better my team on defense, but then I think it would be a LOT harder if the AI were smarter.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    there would be even more threads about characters being OP if the AI was better, even if it was just something small like focus fire.
    I also don't like dropping in rank due to AI being rather bad, but i love the ability to beat everyone on offence more than i dislike dropping in rank.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • nite0wl29
    412 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    there would be even more threads about characters being OP if the AI was better, even if it was just something small like focus fire.
    I also don't like dropping in rank due to AI being rather bad, but i love the ability to beat everyone on offence more than i dislike dropping in rank.

Exactly, which I guess is why I made this post. Everyone complains about dropping in rank and how stupid the AI is on defense, but obviously it would seem changing the AI wouldn't be for player's favor.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nite0wl29 wrote: »

Exactly, which I guess is why I made this post. Everyone complains about dropping in rank and how **** the AI is on defense, but obviously it would seem changing the AI wouldn't be for player's favor.

long story short, people don't know what they want. They think they want something untill they actually have it and find out it sucks donkeyballs.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    If AI was any better, there would be one whale to rule them all on every shard. Let's hope it never happens.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Nailed it

Some compositions just do better than others on defense.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    Options
    Making the AI stupid on purpose is bad design imo. Id rather have a solid, working, smart AI, and put some effort to win it, then this joke of a system we have now.
  • Options
    Mastoraz wrote: »
    Making the AI **** on purpose is bad design imo. Id rather have a solid, working, smart AI, and put some effort to win it, then this joke of a system we have now.
    I disagree
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nite0wl29 wrote: »
    ...do you think your chances of climbing the arena ranks would be better or worse? I just added Zylo to my Zader and on offense, it has been a LOT easier to beat other Zylos and Chaze. Obviously because the AI doesn't spam his zeta special. What if the AI was changed to do so? I ask this because I want the AI to better my team on defense, but then I think it would be a LOT harder if the AI were smarter.

At first I was annoyed about this.... But after using Zylo for a while, I think it's more balanced that he follows the AoE priority norm. If the AI was a lot better on defense in general, people would have a much harder time climbing the leader board..... Which might serve someone's preference while they were on top. Once once they slipped, it would be so frustrating to always lose on offense..
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Making the AI **** on purpose is bad design imo. Id rather have a solid, working, smart AI, and put some effort to win it, then this joke of a system we have now.

The AI isn't bad on defense on purpose... It's just relatively simplistic. Which is fine. I can imagine all the nerf the AI threads blowing up if they went to town with "if this, then that" coding. That plus bag rng and you'd often lose to teams you out match!
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    It's better not to make the game too demoralizing by making it really hard to even climb when you're playing offense!
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    It would be huge in my favor I would likly get to sit in top 5 forever and I would need to be on at payout or suffer.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    It would be huge in my favor I would likly get to sit in top 5 forever and I would need to be on at payout or suffer.

unfortunately for you there are only a few players like yourself, but a whole lot of players who need terrible AI to win xD
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »

unfortunately for you there are only a few players like yourself, but a whole lot of players who need terrible AI to win xD

That and.... Over time you could easily fall off your perch and never see top 5 rewards ever again.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Juex777 wrote: »

The AI isn't bad on defense on purpose... It's just relatively simplistic. Which is fine. I can imagine all the nerf the AI threads blowing up if they went to town with "if this, then that" coding. That plus bag rng and you'd often lose to teams you out match!

i'm reasonably sure it's on purpose. Focus fire should not be that hard to code, but would increase the amount of defence wins by alot. They could even add a "target low health first" relatively easy.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    Options
    Its definitely on purpose. Many examples of bad AI coding that could easily be fixed to be at least play decent. What happens if we ever play, human vs human? Imagine that for second..
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Its definitely on purpose. Many examples of bad AI coding that could easily be fixed to be at least play decent. What happens if we ever play, human vs human? Imagine that for second..

the average player would lose ALOT more battles.
    If it was really PvP than atleast one guy would enjoy the win, but since that's never going to happen, so stronger AI would just mean losing more often on offence and dropping less far in rank overnight. Team strenght would be more important, but that's a double edged sword.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ow i almost forgot, imagine the threads about GW if the AI was improved.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    ow i almost forgot, imagine the threads about GW if the AI was improved.

Arena battle would be decided on who HAAT the fastest Poe generally if AI was better.