Thrawn Theorycraft/Strategy Thread

aclbosox
132 posts Member
There's a lot of threads in the main forum talking about his kit/abilities and overall quality of the character. I'd like to start a discussion on the best team compositions for Thrawn to help give people an idea of some team comps to use. I'll start!

Given the triple cleanse is still Meta, I don't believe Thrawn's leadership will be needed. Instead, I am going to focus on a "my Thrawn goes first" strategy.

Grand Moff Tarkin (Leader)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Deathtrooper
Shoretrooper
Krennic/Veers/Snowtrooper

That fifth spot is where I am still debating. Thoughts?
ΔCŁBØSØX | Discord: aclbosox#8982

Replies

• Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    TFP maybe. With a tarkin lead he will go blazing fast.
  • Ljaat
    86 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I was thinking that team as well (from OP). Tho I want to see if they fix his leader (cleanse) ability. I really like his offense and TM gain from his leader. Veers trooper squad (with either leading) might not be bad either.

As far as to your question.. I'll probably try Veers first for synergy with the Troopers.. then DK (As I have him mostly lvl'd with DT). Will also try Palp b/c.. well.. it's Palp.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    aclbosox wrote: »
    There's a lot of threads in the main forum talking about his kit/abilities and overall quality of the character. I'd like to start a discussion on the best team compositions for Thrawn to help give people an idea of some team comps to use. I'll start!

Given the triple cleanse is still Meta, I don't believe Thrawn's leadership will be needed. Instead, I am going to focus on a "my Thrawn goes first" strategy.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Deathtrooper
    Shoretrooper

The 5th should defiantly be Krennic. In fact he is actually your 4th and ShT is probably your 5th on the cusp. If you don't care about sticking to all empire you may want to try Krennic and DN. ShT may prove to be helpful stacked with thrawns unique.
  • Options
    Thrawn will only make zVader and Debuff teams even more weak, and do nothing against the teams who are already strong...
  • aclbosox
    132 posts Member
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    aclbosox wrote: »

Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Deathtrooper
    Shoretrooper

The 5th should defiantly be Krennic. In fact he is actually your 4th and ShT is probably your 5th on the cusp. If you don't care about sticking to all empire you may want to try Krennic and DN. ShT may prove to be helpful stacked with thrawns unique.

Are you nuts running a team without a tank? Thrawn needs protection!
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    I'm going too start off with veers lead Thrawn DT Snowtrooper Shoretrooper in arena. I don't like the way ai will play a Thrawn lead. I'm sure they will cleanse themselves to death: Im still working on my Krennic he maybe best Leader option to defend against Triple cleansers. Thrawns base speed 150 so easy to get him going first against the Gk Zarris chaze dn comps. Thrawn first move give tm to the empire toon of your choice that has a reliable crit with its aoe and enemy all ability blocked for there first turn. Fracture biggest threat on Thrawns second turn aoe ability block with another empire toon of your choice cleansers blocked again . Starting off like that should be enough carry the fight. I will have a couple squads all Empire ready to go it's still going to be Rock Paper Scissors in arena. As far as Krennics comp supporting cast maybe Krennic lead Thrawn Dt Tfp Shore
  • Options
    Tatebomb wrote: »

Yeah, blazin fast, and the first thing he will do will be hitting Baze with his basic which will amount to nothing besides the chance of ten down. And even after the first move he cannot use his aoe until all the cleansers finished and his basic is weak without the enemies being debuffed.
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, blazin fast, and the first thing he will do will be hitting Baze with his basic which will amount to nothing besides the chance of ten down. And even after the first move he cannot use his aoe until all the cleansers finished and his basic is weak without the enemies being debuffed.

So is that a no then?
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So is that a no then?

You probably do not want TFP going first. Against the meta triple cleanse on defense, TFP is going to fire his AOE which has a high chance of scoring crits. Next thing you know the entire enemy team going to get full turn meter and have a good chance of increasing your cooldowns via DN. Thrawn locking down baze first should be key. Note that Thrawn has a reasonable chance to crit with 4x hits but he will also counter if the other team moves immediately after him which sets up some ability blocks for turn 2. Tarkin can move 2x in a row with intimidation tactics + shore and thrawn TM boost into his 50% TMR.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So is that a no then?

Yeah that's a hard no, at least in my experience. Pretaunters + Rex leadership= useless TFP.
    Sadly this aplies to most debuffers, not only TFP, but since he is so dependant on enemies being debuffed for foresight, damage and speed he is hit very hard by the current meta.
  • Options
    Krennic (L), DT, Tarkin, Thrawn, Shore?

Assume Chirrut goes first. He's going to simply hit Shore. Then Thrawn TM swaps with Death Trooper. He uses his AOE, dispelling Baze, and increasing cooldowns on everyone else (likely making Kenobi taunt). At this point, anyone going on the other side is using their basic. Then, Tarkin goes. He uses intimidation tactics, then gains 90% TM (75% for 5 debuffed enemies, 15% from Shore). Thrawn goes, fracturing Kenobi. Tarkin goes, reducing TM and inflicting ability blocks. Krennic then goes, using death trooper assault, focused on your choice of target to get the death trooper assist for potential daze (so either Chirrut or Baze probably to prevent the counters).
  • Options
    I'm also wondering about haat phase and team for thrawn. For arena I think there are a bunch of different ways to go. Who knows if thrawn will shift meta or not. I think boba is a canidate in there because of speed aoe ability block and his execute. I'm liking gar Saxon as well and saving shard shop for him now. I also think palp should be with thrawn for his shock and abilities vs rebels and Jedi. Really going to keep my eye on this thread.
  • Options
    I imagine many will just put him in DNs spot on a TCA crew :(
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options

Assume Chirrut goes first. He's going to simply hit Shore. Then Thrawn TM swaps with Death Trooper. He uses his AOE, dispelling Baze, and increasing cooldowns on everyone else (likely making Kenobi taunt). At this point, anyone going on the other side is using their basic. Then, Tarkin goes. He uses intimidation tactics, then gains 90% TM (75% for 5 debuffed enemies, 15% from Shore). Thrawn goes, fracturing Kenobi. Tarkin goes, reducing TM and inflicting ability blocks. Krennic then goes, using death trooper assault, focused on your choice of target to get the death trooper assist for potential daze (so either Chirrut or Baze probably to prevent the counters).

This could be very good on offense for sure. Getting dt to move at thrawn's speed is really solid.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure tarkin will move back-to-back. 75% for IT, 15% for shore taunting and 15% from thrawn unique its 105% but we know 100% is the max. Which means he will pummel the opposing tm pool.
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »

This could be very good on offense for sure. Getting dt to move at thrawn's speed is really solid.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure tarkin will move back-to-back. 75% for IT, 15% for shore taunting and 15% from thrawn unique its 105% but we know 100% is the max. Which means he will pummel the opposing tm pool.

Good catch -- I wasn't looking at Thrawn's kit, so I was thinking that gain was on his lead.That actually potentially makes it better.
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Options
    Krennic lead: debuffed enemies who get hit with a crit are ability blocked
    Deathtrooper: Krennic synergies, dispel, numerous debuffs including AoE heal immunity
    Snowtrooper: ability block on basic, huge damage
    Tarkin: synergies with Krennic lead (ironically), AoE debuffs
    Thrawn: basic stuns those with ability block
  • Options
    Considering zKrennic but his leadership isn't zeta'd yet