Thrawn lead needs one AI change now.

JacenRoe
3016 posts Member
If there is a specific post about this already I apologize. I searched, and didn't see one. This has been mentioned before, but it needs its own post.

Guild mates of mine have confirmed what we saw in the video over the weekend. Under a Thrawn lead, Empire characters waste their cleanse ability when they have no debuffs if AI is controlling them. Other cleansers like Ackbar, Rex, and Chirrut only use theirs when there are debuffs to clear. This should be an easy fix, and it should be fixed fast.

As irritable as the community is over having to race to farm Phoenix if they wanted Thrawn, then the payoff to those that bit the bullet (especially free players that made big sacrifices to pull it off) should be a toon that works correctly. There is no good reason for the AI to behave this way. It's broken.

Is there any way a dev could comment on this?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    If there is a specific post about this already I apologize. I searched, and didn't see one. This has been mentioned before, but it needs its own post.

Guild mates of mine have confirmed what we saw in the video over the weekend. Under a Thrawn lead, Empire characters waste their cleanse ability when they have no debuffs if AI is controlling them. Other cleansers like Ackbar, Rex, and Chirrut only use theirs when there are debuffs to clear. This should be an easy fix, and it should be fixed fast.

As irritable as the community is over having to race to farm Phoenix if they wanted Thrawn, then the payoff to those that bit the bullet (especially free players that made big sacrifices to pull it off) should be a toon that works correctly. There is no good reason for the AI to behave this way. It's broken.

@CG_CapGaSP @CG_Kozispoon
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    The nice part is I feel less rushed to get Thrawn up to speed until they fix his AI. It's literally non sense and its gotta be fixed. Half of his turns he just wastes 100 percent. The sad part is that he is still pretty good even with worse than cpu ui
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    I know they have probably lost out on money from me. So far I have been able to control myself. Proper AI probably would get my to drop 4k in crystals for gear.
  • Options
    If they fix this they would need to also fix fulcrum and R2, hell AI defense is a joke
  • Options
    Hi all :)

Sorry to intrude but it'd also be nice to know whether the speed-down to ability block conversion works as intended, i.e the ability block is applied at the end of the turn.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    If they fix this they would need to also fix fulcrum and R2, hell AI defense is a joke

Nothing is wrong with either of those toons.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

There are multiple cleansers in the game that never use their cleanse unless there is a debuff. It is less a fix, and more just something that needs a setting changed.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    The nice part is I feel less rushed to get Thrawn up to speed until they fix his AI. It's literally non sense and its gotta be fixed. Half of his turns he just wastes 100 percent. The sad part is that he is still pretty good even with worse than cpu ui

I'm actually good with him using his turn meter swap/cleanse/protection recovery every time it's ready. That shortens cooldowns effectively.

But I don't want other Empire toons under his lead doing a cleanse only move. Yeah, they get some TM, but that just means they're only wasting part of a turn.
  • Options
    There is, and IDC.
    I want savage to overpower when someone is under 50%. Easiest bug fix for something we know months already.
    If thrawn get fixed before, I'll be mad.
    So every post that some people whine over thrawn, I'll whine about savage.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It might be programmed that way because of Thrawn's unique? To make him and the fractured opponent lose turn meter while gaining the most turn meter
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    It might be programmed that way because of Thrawn's unique? To make him and the fractured opponent lose turn meter while gaining the most turn meter

It does it even when there is no fracture, and it prioritizes it over using special attacks apparently. No good reason to do that at all.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »

It does it even when there is no fracture, and it prioritizes it over using special attacks apparently. No good reason to do that at all.

That's what I was thinking, but the AI wouldn't get that. It was only a guess
  • slamaMC
    139 posts Member
    Options
    Its been confirmed that the AI for Thrawn is seriously broken, stories of him only using his basic attack. Needs to be fixed ASAP.
  • Options
    This is a bigger wake up call to fix the AI at large. There are other characters doing ridiculous things.
  • Options
    Mod suggestion for Thrawn?
  • Options

On offense sure but AI controlled Ashoka will use her whirlwind in the absence of buffs and R2 always uses smoke screen first.

To put that into context I run a rex chaze R2 atf team, my R2 has 243 speed and therefor smoke screens while my baze taunt is still up. That has multiple negative impacts.

1. Wastes smoke since baze is taunting
    2. Allows enemy baze to clear smoke screen
    3. Does not grant fire debuff before a tenacity up
    4. Does not lower evasion meaning first hits may be evaded easily

Ashokas is much simpler, since she performs whirlwind first there are usually a suboptimal amount of buffs on her and the longer cooldown mitigates it's future usefulness (if she survives)

Granted there are toons which are mishandled to a severe degree but this just points to a greater issue with AI.

Frankly EA needs to work on more conditional AI or analyze arena data based on how players use the characters to determine best priority.

My job involves correlating data to come up with intelligent solutions (automated), if I can write scripts that intelligently patch servers while checking network and patch install times, surely EA can invest in a tighter more intelligent AI system.

In recent memory all of their amazing complex toolkit toons fall flat on defense due to whatever basic formula they are using, personally that makes it less likely that I will invest in a toon that requires complex situational advantage to excel.

If they want to stick to such a rudimentary battle system then they really should stick to releasing rock paper scissor characters.

• Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Options
    This is a bigger wake up call to fix the AI at large. There are other characters doing ridiculous things.

YES. AI is nonexistent. It's making this game BORING.

Please fix.
  • Options
    Any suggestions on mods for Thrawn?
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    There is, and IDC.
    I want savage to overpower when someone is under 50%. Easiest bug fix for something we know months already.
    If thrawn get fixed before, I'll be mad.
    So every post that some people whine over thrawn, I'll whine about savage.

Savage's is like that because the AI doesn't change for going from lvl 7 ability upgrade to omega upgrade. Having overpower under 50% for every upgrade level for that ability before it's omega'd is apparently better according to the Devs.

Thrawn's lead should literally act as every other cleanse in game does. Only use it when there are debuffs to cleanse, hell Rex won't use his TM gain + Cleanse unless there are debuffs even if it would give his whole team enough TM to go and win the battle because it's a cleanse. Using a cleanse when there is nothing to cleanse that also does nothing is an absolute waste and is horrible for a character obtained through a legendary event.
  • Options
    alot of chars need that yoda does and seen vaders use culling blade on enemies with no dots and not target those with dots and no taunts active
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of people are confusing moves that aren't optimal like Vader culling blade, r-2 (I think it's set up right), Ahsoka, Zarris, and savage with AI that isn't rational.

Leia trying to steath with buff immunity and 50 percent of thrawns kit arent just less than optimal. They are irrational.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of people are confusing moves that aren't optimal like Vader culling blade, r-2 (I think it's set up right), Ahsoka, Zarris, and savage with AI that isn't rational.

Leia trying to steath with buff immunity and 50 percent of thrawns kit arent just less than optimal. They are irrational.

This. Vader or Ahsoka using a special at the wrong time still does damage. It needs more extensive AI work to straighten that out.

This Thrawn issue is causing toons to do something with absolutely no benefit whatsoever. They burn a turn for nothing. And it could likely be fixed easily. They already have characters that only cleanse when there are debuffs. The code is there. That already works perfectly on other toons. It just needs to be applied to them. And this is a reasonable fix to expect right now for all the hoops we jumped through getting Thrawn.

@CG_Kozispoon Love the character. He's tons of fun. I very much appreciate the work that went in to him, and I totally understand why he was released as he was even though it was a serious time crunch. But I don't think it's too much to ask that under Thrawn lead that Empire toons don't burn their cleanse when there is nothing to cleanse. Do the devs know this is an issue?
  • Options
    Any suggestions on mods for Thrawn?

Either make your own post or search for one that is about mods, not just spam it in every thread about thrawn
  • Options

This. Vader or Ahsoka using a special at the wrong time still does damage. It needs more extensive AI work to straighten that out.
    You cannot know that. None of us can without knowing precisely how the AI is coded and handled. We can only speculate. If I'm to guess, the reason why Thrawn is the way he is, is due to the AI system itself handling him within its coding perimeters which is why I say fix the system itself. The case of Thrawn might simply be a byproduct of the larger issue at hand.
  • Options
    Again, here's a chance CG to provide clear, concise communication instead of the forums fighting each other over unnecessary guessing games.
  • Options

You cannot know that. None of us can without knowing precisely how the AI is coded and handled. We can only speculate. If I'm to guess, the reason why Thrawn is the way he is, is due to the AI system itself handling him within its coding perimeters which is why I say fix the system itself. The case of Thrawn might simply be a byproduct of the larger issue at hand.

Every cleanse in the game that I have ever used or watched AI use works perfectly. I don't have any experience with Lobot, but I have never witnessed AI use a cleanse when there was nothing to cleanse. They already have Rex, Chirrut, and Ackbar coded to use their cleanses ONLY when there is a debuff to cleanse.

That is completely different than not having the AI designed to be able to survey a battle, use several steps of logic, and choose between several possible courses of action. It's one th No that already exists, and works perfectly. Is there a debuff? Then cleanse. No debuffs? Then don't cleanse.
    And this is still all assumption of how the AI is actually coded.

Is it done by playback and record individually for each character? Is it coded within certain perimeters of abilities, classes, ability types etc.? You see what I'm getting at? Thrawn may be acting off general, impersonal code that happens to sway him more evidently than others. These findings should address the real issue at hand that is affecting not just Thrawn, but many other characters doing very questionable things.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

Every cleanse in the game that I have ever used or watched AI use works perfectly. I don't have any experience with Lobot, but I have never witnessed AI use a cleanse when there was nothing to cleanse. They already have Rex, Chirrut, and Ackbar coded to use their cleanses ONLY when there is a debuff to cleanse.

That is completely different than not having the AI designed to be able to survey a battle, use several steps of logic, and choose between several possible courses of action. It's one th No that already exists, and works perfectly. Is there a debuff? Then cleanse. No debuffs? Then don't cleanse.
    And this is still all assumption of how the AI is actually coded.

Is it done by playback and record individually for each character? Is it coded within certain perimeters of abilities, classes, ability types etc.? You see what I'm getting at? Thrawn may be acting off general, impersonal code that happens to sway him more evidently than others. These findings should address the real issue at hand that is affecting not just Thrawn, but many other characters doing very questionable things.

The devs have actually talked about AI in the past, and even changed it for some characters. Go back and look at how Yoda's AI was changed, and the discussions that accompanied that.

You are way over complicating this. It is a fact that the AI coding to just use a cleanse when there is something to cleanse already exists, and works perfectly on multiple characters.
  • Options
    AI is a significant misnomer for what's going on in this game.

It is kind of silly that a npc opponent would prioritize this skill with no buffs present. Although, I haven't experienced it yet and have faced multiple Thrawn led teams in GW.
  • Lugo
    417 posts Member
    Options

EA/CG how bout in the Squad Set up section just adding a part where we(the gamers) can ajust the toons AI for auto our selves. If peeps don't ajust it then that's their fault if team gets smashed cause of bad preset AI. Alot of set up can be realy good but are not used cause of bad AI. Please consider this.