Live Pvp would be Godsend (not arena, another game mode)

J_Starseed
325 posts Member
edited June 2017
I think live pvp ought to be the payoff for the intense grind of this game. Unlocks at level 85. Play as much as you want. Only rewards for your first five battles everyday. It would keep people engaged instead of the game becoming a chore for a lot of players at a certain point,always waiting on new game content.

If would make this game truly incredible.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I wonder how much they would have to invest to get the infrastructure and coding done to make that happen....
  • Options
    Live PvP is impossible in this game due to how it is built.
  • J_Starseed
    325 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I wonder how much they would have to invest to get the infrastructure and coding done to make that happen....

Many other games do it that make much less money. I think it would give this game serious legs. It seems like player enjoyment and satisfaction has been slipping for some time. A game this hard and interesting deserves to be fully flushed out.

I don't think the coding would be that terribly difficult.
  • J_Starseed
    325 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

No it certainly isn't! Maybe for arena, but that should remain as is anyway. Keep the rewards minimal. A quick data transfer and mods are accounted for. Not difficult at all.
  • Options
    Would need to be timezone specific shards.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • J_Starseed
    325 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Would need to be timezone specific shards.

Not Shard based. Again not for the existing arena game mode.

Allow allies to also challenge each other. You could also play any of your friends, live! What a breath of fresh air!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    J_Starseed wrote: »

Many other games do it that make much less money. I think it would give this game serious legs. It seems like player enjoyment and satisfaction has been slipping for some time. A game this hard and interesting deserves to be fully flushed out.

Those games were built and designed from the beginning to be that way, so it may not be so easy. Not impossible but you never know the development cost
  • Options

Those games were built and designed from the beginning to be that way, so it may not be so easy. Not impossible but you never know the development cost

Is not really that big of a jump as you're imagining. It doesn't affect other game modes. It would round out this game and literally make it the best mobile game I would every have played.
    It is a huge jump. Take for example, SWTOR, that was built on an outdated system by the time of its release. The game was unable to do cross server because of the engine itself. Now that may not be the exact case for GOH, but GOH is designed to be a single player, multi player experience. Live PvP really just isn't possible without probably dramatically altering the base engine. Furthermore it's very costly. If they can't even fix simple bugs like the guild counter or update the Nokia-styled chat, the likelihood of Live PvP is very unlikely.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    Options
    Unless live pvp comes, the competition and fun level of arena will be nothing compared to fighting someone else. They can keep arena, but live pvp would be 100x hands down better and completely eliminate reliance on their horrible AI system. Human vs human will always be the ultimate experience. Why they didn't plan for it, is foolish. Here's hoping they use their multi billion company and invest a little to add it.
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options
    We barely have cross platform support so I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Options
    Excuse me moderators? Why are you not showing my comments?
  • Options
    This would completely transform the game.
  • Options
    Of course it's doable and would make the game very very healthy long term.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

And you base this on....

Do you code professionally? There are 2 ways to measure difficulty, 1st being skill, I will give you that may not be that difficult. The second is from the business side and it's time, if it's going to take a very long time it is difficult to set that up and allocate resources.

On top of that this game not being on this path from the beginning it can be extremely costly to implement things like that.

Good luck. If it happens I will welcome it, I just don't think that was ever on their road map, which means a cold day in he'll is more likely.
  • K_mett1
    299 posts Member
    Options
    Just because other games were made with the intention of having live battles doesn't mean this one was, I foresee way too many problems and it would be incredibly time consuming. Altering the AI would be an easier alternative and that's probably what's going to happen...
  • Options
    'Sup guild mate! ;)

I have no idea the diffulty of coding something like this but having a separate holotable for live battles would be SOO much fun!
  • Options

And you base this on....

Do you code professionally? There are 2 ways to measure difficulty, 1st being skill, I will give you that may not be that difficult. The second is from the business side and it's time, if it's going to take a very long time it is difficult to set that up and allocate resources.

On top of that this game not being on this path from the beginning it can be extremely costly to implement things like that.

Good luck. If it happens I will welcome it, I just don't think that was ever on their road map, which means a cold day in he'll is more likely.

This is correct.
  • Options

Many mobile games have live PVP, including ones published by EA, so it is possible.

I would like to see the current arena replaced with a live PVP ladder like Hearthstone or Clash Royale. This would be much more dynamic and interesting than the current system. It should also improve QOL as the current payout time system would presumably be removed.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think that the idea is impossible or impractical. In fact, I really like it. However, it is a big risk and a huge investment. Without a 100% guarantee that this new mode would not only aid in the retention of old players but also attract new players, the risk is not worth the reward for CG or EA.
  • Darksouls2020
    368 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think live pvp ought to be the payoff for the intense grind of this game. Unlocks at level 85. Play as much as you want. Only rewards for your first five battles everyday. It would keep people engaged instead of the game becoming a chore for a lot of players at a certain point,always waiting on new game content.

Lol NO. Not for arena. However worth it as a match making via allied code and all optional
  • Options
    IdraRage wrote: »

Many mobile games have live PVP, including ones published by EA, so it is possible.
    Of course it is, but we are speaking specifically about this game and the system its made on. That's what makes it extremely unlikely. The system seems to be built on single player (originally) and included multiplayer experience.
  • Options
    'Sup guild mate! ;)

I have no idea the diffulty of coding something like this but having a separate holotable for live battles would be SOO much fun!

Hey man! Totally right?
  • J_Starseed
    325 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    J7Luke wrote: »
    I don't think that the idea is impossible or impractical. In fact, I really like it. However, it is a big risk and a huge investment. Without a 100% guarantee that this new mode would not only aid in the retention of old players but also attract new players, the risk is not worth the reward for CG or EA.

The game is painfully focused on farming and building with very little actual gameplay payoff. I'm sure everyone here would welcome the change. Of all the complaints I hear especially for people who have been around for a long time is lack of new content and bordom. Adding a raid or a very limited play game mode takes a long time, a lot of investment and quickly becomes old content. It doesn't really have the same kind of lasting legs as a live pvp game mode would.

A live pvp Gamemode without limited play means there is a payoff..... Not just chores. This game mode wouldn't revolve around an ai that makes many teams not viable on defense. Its really a no Brainer. It's not really a risk. It's permanent legs for a game that has become so entirely focused on investment and little payoff for a very large number of long time dedicated players.
  • Options

Lol NO. Not for arena. However worth it as a match making via allied code and all optional

Yeah. Not for arena
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Supercell, arguably the top mobile games publisher, is making the transition to live PVP with the release of Clash Royale, recent addition of a live PVP mode to Clash of Clans, and the upcoming release of Brawl Stars. Many other big live PVP games are coming to mobile, and I feel like the current arena system will soon be seen archaic just like it would be on PC/console.
  • Options
    Please
  • Options
    Smartest move ea could make is to create a additional new game mode for repeated playability. Not arena, but a pvp live game mode. Maybe rewards for the first few plays each day. The grind vs playability (payoff) is terrible in an otherwise extremely interesting game.

Most new content would get stale and it doesn't even take that long, compared to the pace it comes out. But live pvp would keep the game interesting for years to come. Games that don't meet this new standard in gaming are going to go the way of the dinosaur eventuality. Better to get a jump on it now and make this good but frustrating and increasingly more and more cumbersome game great. Playability is a thing. We're getting bored of all grind and very limited interesting repeat playability.

Long term sustainable revenue requires rewards that must equate with satisfaction in playability....Not just a shiny new toy for any kind of sustainable symbiotic relationship.