What is the advantage to omega thrawns basic?

Take_a_Bite
352 posts Member
edited June 2017
If you omega thrawns basic the enemies get stunned instead of applying the speed up into ability block. So this prevents you from chaining speed up into ability block on toons who have ability block currently on them. Thus you cannot lock out opponents with back to back ability block (his basic can get used a lot on counter attacks).

My question is what is the advantage to omega ing his basic? It seems better to leave it at 7 to potentially keep inflicting back to back ability block.

Please close this thread. Thanks.
Post edited by Take_a_Bite on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not a bad point.

IMO. A stunned toon will do nothing not even basic, this can be more beneficial on toons that have good basic attacks.

His basic works with any ability block, so if you DK or DK (L), ig88, or boba you could be stunning toons in counter or as you see fit.

Again just IMO. It seems like one of those abilities people will have to make the call based on their particular strategy and team composition.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Stun them, then next time you hit them you can put speed up/ability block on them. Honestly I'm rarely ever using him to repeatedly chain ability blocks, because Thrawn I want Thrawn to fracture asap.

However having an irresistible stun that procs 100% of the time under the right conditions is epic. I love that part of Thrawn's kit almost as much as the fracture.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your stunning an ability blocked enemy... Wouldn't you rather apply back to back ability block and keep them from using abilities for 2-3 maybe 4 turns?
    I'll give you a scenario. How about thrawn fractures baze and r2 targets thrawn with smokescreen. Now thrawn will counter a lot. So would you rather have him going for a stun that only prevents a basic or continue applying back to back ability block.

His basic is important since he will be using it a lot even if you fracture when you can. Not paying attention to how to level his basic is missing out on a vital part of his kit.
  • Rakim
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Your stunning an ability blocked enemy... Wouldn't you rather apply back to back ability block and keep them from using abilities for 2-3 maybe 4 turns?
    I'll give you a scenario. How about thrawn fractures baze and r2 targets thrawn with smokescreen. Now thrawn will counter a lot. So would you rather have him going for a stun that only prevents a basic or continue applying back to back ability block.

His basic is important since he will be using it a lot even if you fracture when you can. Not paying attention to how to level his basic is missing out on a vital part of his kit.

I think the stun is better. Keep in mind many arena enemies have basics that inflict some sort of negative status so even their basics are dangerous. Stun is one of the most, if not the most, powerful debuff in the game.
  • Options
    IMO, you want to stun more so than ability block. Some basics are brutally powerful (Thrawn's himself).
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

As I said, stun him, then ability block him again so that when he comes out of stun he'll be ability blocked. Not seeing a downside.

Long list of upsides though. Many toons can do 10-15k crits on a basis... unless they're stunned. And stunned characters don't counter attack. An ability blocked Chirrut could beat my tank to death with a dozen counter attacks every one of which is healing him to full. A stunned Chirrut just dies. And stunned characters can't dodge even with foresight. I've stunned a character with Thrawn (through tenacity up no less) only to have Kenobi give them foresight. So what. I kill them anyway since stun is so much better than ability block.

Do you have/use Thrawn? Or is this a theoretical inquiry? Because in practice it's way better. No downside at all that I've experienced.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »

As I said, stun him, then ability block him again so that when he comes out of stun he'll be ability blocked. Not seeing a downside.

Long list of upsides though. Many toons can do 10-15k crits on a basis... unless they're stunned. And stunned characters don't counter attack. An ability blocked Chirrut could beat my tank to death with a dozen counter attacks every one of which is healing him to full. A stunned Chirrut just dies. And stunned characters can't dodge even with foresight. I've stunned a character with Thrawn (through tenacity up no less) only to have Kenobi give them foresight. So what. I kill them anyway since stun is so much better than ability block.

Do you have/use Thrawn? Or is this a theoretical inquiry? Because in practice it's way better. No downside at all that I've experienced.

You can't have a toon come out of stun and still be ability blocked (except by boba and krennic). Thrawns basic does not apply speed up after you omega it on a toon who is ability blocked. It stuns and that's it. They come out of stun and they can destroy you next turn unless you neutralize them with other characters or abilities. Thrawn can not back to back ability block when his basic is omega'd.
    His speed up doesn't expire till after their next move so they have the window to use an ability before you can stop them. Stun is powerful but you miss out on locking down abilities with no turn in between to use them. Many posters so far seems to think the stun is better, but you seem to not understand the wording of the ability.

The point is that this ability might be better at level 7 than 8 similar to how royal guard and fives have abilities you might not want to level based on what their purpose is.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

You can't have a toon come out of stun and still be ability blocked (except by boba and krennic). Thrawns basic does not apply speed up after you omega it on a toon who is ability blocked. It stuns and that's it. They come out of stun and they can destroy you next turn unless you neutralize them with other characters or abilities. Thrawn can not back to back ability block when his basic is omega'd.
    His speed up doesn't expire till after their next move so they have the window to use an ability before you can stop them. Stun is powerful but you miss out on locking down abilities with no turn in between to use them. Many posters so far seems to think the stun is better, but you seem to not understand the wording of the ability.

The point is that this ability might be better at level 7 than 8 similar to how royal guard and fives have abilities you might not want to level based on what their purpose is.

Once they are stunned you can put speed down on them again. Then when they come out of stun the speed down wears off, and they are ability blocked. And if you want to shut down a toon then fracture them. Using Thrawn to chain ability blocks and ignoring his other abilities is using him wrong. I understand perfectly how it works because I use him in arena.

Again I ask, are you using him? There is no way I would ever want to avoid the omega on his basic ever under any circumstances. Stuns from Thrawn prevent tens of thousands of damage from counter attacks every single battle I use him in.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Once they are stunned you can put speed down on them again. Then when they come out of stun the speed down wears off, and they are ability blocked. And if you want to shut down a toon then fracture them. Using Thrawn to chain ability blocks and ignoring his other abilities is using him wrong. I understand perfectly how it works because I use him in arena.

Again I ask, are you using him? There is no way I would ever want to avoid the omega on his basic ever under any circumstances. Stuns from Thrawn prevent tens of thousands of damage from counter attacks every single battle I use him in.

You are right about using stun to prevent counter attacks. Especially with GK everywhere. But you are wrong about applying speed up on a toon with stun on them that is also ability blocked. It would simply reapply the stun that would wear off on their next turn anyway. So no you can't put "speed up" on them if they are stunned unless that stun came from another source and someone else didn't put ability block on that stunned toon.

I'm not ignoring his other abilities. His basic will be used the most since he has counter chance, because of Nihilus, or GK gives him retribution. Obviously you would first use his special abilities.
  • Mishkin
    22 posts Member
    Options
    If a toons ability is so dangerous that you need to chain ability block it, then why not just fracture or stun it and kill it before it gets a turn. Stun is better against wider variety od toons since so many can counter and assist and just hit **** hard with a basic while they are ability blocked.
  • Options
    How often do you expect to be using your basic twice on an enemy?
  • Options
    Due to the large number of counter attacks and assists in the game, and yes the nasty basics, I agree now that the stun outweighs the "potential" string of ability blocks. Basics are used often in the game due to Nihilus draining cooldowns, and counter chance+ GK giving retribution Bulldog.
  • Options
    Mods please close this thread @RJ__Brando, a conclusion has been reached and there is no need for anymore discussion.
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    Closing per OP 's request

re520byweg79.gif
This discussion has been closed.