Good teams for Heroic Rancor (Preparing for our first run)

Hello everybody, my guild is preparing to try on the Heroic Rancor very soon and I would like some tips please as to what teams we should use and what strategies we should make per phase. Currently we can take out tier 6 rancor in about a day after the 1st refresh. We have a couple of players who have TMR teams already and they can usually solo about a phase and a half themselves with them. I recently just Zeta'd my Vader, and plan to build a team around him that can solo the Rancor on Heroic. Currently I use the generic TMR team, (Teebo lead, QGJ, Rex, TFP, and Phasma.) Other guildies use the same first three toons and substitute TFP and Phasma for Fives and Tusken Raider or use a different combination of those 4. I know of other good toons like Jyn and Bistan that help tremendously with the TMR teams but none of us have them at 7* yet either. As a guide, I would like to inform you that we don't have most toons 7* and most (if not all) of us have been playing for no more than a year so we have "weak" toons at mainly gear 8 and 9 and a few gear 10s sprinkled in there. Thank you everybody for your help in preparing us to tackle on our first Heroic Rancor!

TLDR: Guild is doing first Heroic Rancor, we would like help preparing.

I know that most of the people on the forums are most likely farming Heroic rancor already and that's great for you but please keep the comments informative. I've been looking at Youtube videos and other forum posts but those tips get quickly outdated as the weeks go by with patches and updates. I'll also link my gg profile for those that would like to help create a team around my Zader. Thanks again everyone.

https://swgoh.gg/u/thechampionbum/
Where is my kitten General Grievous rework at!!??

Replies

• Options
    The first thing I would say is set a mandatory zero damage rule for the first 24 hours so that everyone can get on the leader board. That way you surprise yourselves and complete the raid with ease you don't leave anyone with no rewards.
    The second thing is to make sure no one is fighting the rancor at the same time otherwise your wasting damage. This will eventually not be required as your guild gets better and you can easily complete it but for the first, I would set an order for everyone to attack. It’s more important to complete the raid than leaderboard ranking in the beginning.
    Teebo, QGJ, Rex, TFP and Phasma is a good squad. As long as you have TMR, Speed Down and ideally Tenacity down (can be non-essential depending on Mods) you will be good.
    Mods are obviously key. As much potency on Teebo as possible along with speed same with Rex and QGJ. CC/CD on TFP.
    If you're working towards a Zader squad to attempt a solo I run Zader, TFP, Teebo, R2D2 and Rex and I can solo the raid. Other combos can do it just depends on what Mods you have really.
  • Options
    R2D2vsBB8 wrote: »
    The first thing I would say is set a mandatory zero damage rule for the first 24 hours so that everyone can get on the leader board. That way you surprise yourselves and complete the raid with ease you don't leave anyone with no rewards.
    The second thing is to make sure no one is fighting the rancor at the same time otherwise your wasting damage. This will eventually not be required as your guild gets better and you can easily complete it but for the first, I would set an order for everyone to attack. It’s more important to complete the raid than leaderboard ranking in the beginning.
    Teebo, QGJ, Rex, TFP and Phasma is a good squad. As long as you have TMR, Speed Down and ideally Tenacity down (can be non-essential depending on Mods) you will be good.
    Mods are obviously key. As much potency on Teebo as possible along with speed same with Rex and QGJ. CC/CD on TFP.
    If you're working towards a Zader squad to attempt a solo I run Zader, TFP, Teebo, R2D2 and Rex and I can solo the raid. Other combos can do it just depends on what Mods you have really.

All good tips. Is Heroic easier than Tier 6? I've heard that it is. The Zader squad squad you use is actually one that I was recently thinking about building. The only problem with that is that I only have R2 at 6* so I wouldn't be able to do it. I was planning on trying it out on our next tier 6 raid. Also what could be other good squads? Are the only solo squads Zader and Teebo leads? I have decent mods with ok speed secondaries. I'll have to go through all of my toons and see what I can spare but I think I should be fine.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    if you search a little in the forum or reddit you can find lots of teams that solo the rancor, no need to waste zetas :)
    19225426_1259773174133586_5500497449248142524_n.jpg?oh=82b216c06216d4a295629dd65ca25e38&oe=59C867F4
    19274966_1259773777466859_2319857220677706916_n.jpg?oh=3cb027d71397b50a91ff3c5c625cef59&oe=59D58219
    19248024_1259774480800122_3511393355232858171_n.jpg?oh=35d7e0d5ea888f3dbcf4375a104dad1e&oe=59DF99D6
    19396922_1259775084133395_82301510768980371_n.jpg?oh=2b380be58029a6a7a1f6141857ed0f63&oe=59C61146
    19274998_1259775234133380_1591491957771427339_n.jpg?oh=2338740b273e2e6f32ac7a49d9df9189&oe=59E4D457
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    Wow I would've never thought about using First Order Officer. You need to remember though that we don't have gear 11 teams and super speed mods. I doubt any of us are capable of getting a full squad of 5 toons over 200 speed.
  • Options
    R2D2vsBB8 wrote: »

All good tips. Is Heroic easier than Tier 6? I've heard that it is. The Zader squad squad you use is actually one that I was recently thinking about building. The only problem with that is that I only have R2 at 6* so I wouldn't be able to do it. I was planning on trying it out on our next tier 6 raid. Also what could be other good squads? Are the only solo squads Zader and Teebo leads? I have decent mods with ok speed secondaries. I'll have to go through all of my toons and see what I can spare but I think I should be fine.

Rancor has much less health but is a lot faster and hits a lot harder. When we went from Tier 6 to Tier 7 I solo'd first time but that was before the Zader bug was fixed. Can still do it now but needed to shift around with Mods and alter my team.
    Mods are the key thing the faster the better obviously but it's getting the balance right as if you sacrifice potency for speed it might bite you in the a**e.
    If you have a good guild and lots of members you should do fine.
    Regarding teams, the post above says it all.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Easiest way to clear p1 is to use a Teebo/Wiggs team, preferably with TFP for tenacity down, but less of an issue on the captain than on the Rancor. From there, everyone needs to pull about 200k total and you're clear (assuming a 50 man roster). Door phases are the easiest to do that, p4 is the hardest. Basically, for your first run, your biggest enemy is wasted damage, so make sure to communicate.

And until you have it down to a science, don't bother with a registration period. It is possible you will need the full time to get it cleared.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    this is my team, as you can see i don't got them "well" geared, just rex cuz i use him on arena and ee cuz he is really easy to gear up, rex is the only one above 200 speed for arena at 224, ee is at 172, teebo at 172, dengar at 136 and qgj at 137, sometimes i got eaten at the end of p2 or mid p3, usually get to p4
    19224947_1259775604133343_8088626942664564680_n.jpg?oh=7eadccfadbd9bea7d0ac0433b5d54007&oe=59D2A45C
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    I've been seeing a lot of Ewok Elders in these teams. What does he bring to the table? I know he cleanses and can revive, but is his main usefulness in granting turn meter to allies? Also do you guys mind linking your gg profiles so I can see the mod setups on those teams please? You all have been very helpful.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a lot of Ewok Elders in these teams. What does he bring to the table? I know he cleanses and can revive, but is his main usefulness in granting turn meter to allies? Also do you guys mind linking your gg profiles so I can see the mod setups on those teams please? You all have been very helpful.

Yes, his main usefulness is the turn meter he grants, especially to Teebo.

https://swgoh.gg/u/starson/collection/
  • Indigø
    85 posts Member
    Options
    If most of you guys are using TMR squads, and you don't overlap damage, you shouldn't have any trouble. Everyone should be working on a Pit squad. In the future, this won't be an issue.
  • Protasm
    21 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you run TFP then you shouldn't need to stack potency on anybody.

Oh, and I run Zader, TFP, Tarkin, Teebo, R2. I like Tarkin for a few reasons: he has a chance to reduce turn meter as an Empire character under Zader lead; he does decent damage and has good survivability and speed; he can reduce 50% turn meter as a backup option whenever Teebo gets resisted; he has a zero-damage special ability for close calls where you don't want Rancor to gain any bonus turn meter; and, perhaps best of all, he inflicts Critical Chance and Offense Down which greatly reduces Rancor's damage when he occasionally lands a hit.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Yes, his main usefulness is the turn meter he grants, especially to Teebo.

https://swgoh.gg/u/starson/collection/

Looks like I need to work on my ewok elder then. Thanks guys. I'm sure this information will prove helpful to my guild.
  • Options
    Wow I would've never thought about using First Order Officer. You need to remember though that we don't have gear 11 teams and super speed mods. I doubt any of us are capable of getting a full squad of 5 toons over 200 speed.

FOO actually rocks the Rancor pretty dang hard. Give his Marching Orders to TFP to grant him Advantage + full TM, now TFP gets a guaranteed crit to apply Tenacity Down. Then Phasma AOE to apply Speed Down. Much easier to control the Rancor with those two debuffs on. Add Teebo lead for his TM drain.

Rancor will still resist from time-to-time, but with FOO, Rex, Teebo all draining TM, you should not have much trouble. But RNG will happen, and you will get a couple misses in a row or Teebo does not stealth at the right time. That's when you use FOO, Phasma, and Rex specials to speed things up so you get another turn in before the Rancor can go.
  • Options

FOO actually rocks the Rancor pretty dang hard. Give his Marching Orders to TFP to grant him Advantage + full TM, now TFP gets a guaranteed crit to apply Tenacity Down. Then Phasma AOE to apply Speed Down. Much easier to control the Rancor with those two debuffs on. Add Teebo lead for his TM drain.

Rancor will still resist from time-to-time, but with FOO, Rex, Teebo all draining TM, you should not have much trouble. But RNG will happen, and you will get a couple misses in a row or Teebo does not stealth at the right time. That's when you use FOO, Phasma, and Rex specials to speed things up so you get another turn in before the Rancor can go.

Some more control is definitely useful but who would i take out to put in FOO? Do i take out QGJ?
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options

Some more control is definitely useful but who would i take out to put in FOO? Do i take out QGJ?

Yes, you would take out QGJ for FOO in your current lineup.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Yes, you would take out QGJ for FOO in your current lineup.

Ok so my lineup would be Teebo lead, TFP, Rex, FOO, and Phasma? That team is one that would be the fastest for me to get ready. My Zader is 30 shards away from 7* and my EE is only at 4*s gear 6. My FOO is 4/100 shards but I can probably get him to 7* faster than Zader. Also with Zader, I don't really have the toons necessary to have a solid team built around him just yet.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Ok so my lineup would be Teebo lead, TFP, Rex, FOO, and Phasma? That team is one that would be the fastest for me to get ready. My Zader is 30 shards away from 7* and my EE is only at 4*s gear 6. My FOO is 4/100 shards but I can probably get him to 7* faster than Zader. Also with Zader, I don't really have the toons necessary to have a solid team built around him just yet.

That would be a solid team, yes. I have soloed the whole raid a few times with that same team. It will get you to phase 4 consistently. From there on you require a bit of luck to solo the rest as well.

1 final advice:

In phases 2 and 3 don't just topple the Rancor (door down) at any chance you get. Instead bring the door button to about half health and then leave it there until you get some bad RNG/luck with your TM reduction and risk that Rancor will take a turn. Only THEN do you topple to save you from having the Rancor take a turn.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Further more save Phasmas VM and FOO's special that grants 100% TM for when Teebo is not stealthed and needs some extra TM to get ahead of the Rancor's TM.