So arena is becoming fun again?

Prev1
So I don't mind not coming top 10/20 in my shard, top 50 is usually my aim and recently I've noticed a major shift in arena leaders; just today I played 5 battles against 4 different leaders, those being Rex (L) x2, zTarkin, zMaul and zFinn
The new empire pass has opened up new leaders for their faction, with thrawn in the empire lineup and the one of the rex teams; the other Rex team was Chaze + nihilus + kenobi, the Finn team was FULL resistance and maul was with zSavage, Trooper assassin and nihilus
The new developments in arena have made this game far more fun for me, and you've got to congratulate the devs on managing to shift the staleness arena was; I understand not all shards will be at this point yet, but give it time :) this game is great, f2p can compete :) I use FO in arena and am so happy to compete against strategic teams such as the Tarkin team and Resitance and prefer it so much compared to the arena we had a couple of months ago 'attack/dodge' 'attack/dodge' 'attack'dodge' annihilate.
I've also seen a few zQGJ teams as well, so fellow gamers I URGE you not to quit on this game, just give it time and it'll become more fun again :)
(Sorry about the long post)

Replies

• Options
    Jay_1997_C wrote: »
    So I don't mind not coming top 10/20 in my shard, top 50 is usually my aim and recently I've noticed a major shift in arena leaders; just today I played 5 battles against 4 different leaders, those being Rex (L) x2, zTarkin, zMaul and zFinn

That is why you're having fun. If your sole goal is to be #1, expect a lot more effort and stress in the process unless you're in a young shard and you have the means to whale out
  • Options

That is why you're having fun. If your sole goal is to be #1, expect a lot more effort and stress in the process unless you're in a young shard and you have the means to whale out

December 2015 ahaha and nah I can get into the top 10 still if I really try, there are a few teams up there with Wedge/Chaze, Rogue 1 and a very very fast resistance team who I can never beat, as well as standRd triple cleanse teams :)
  • Options

I actually kind of disagree. My Nov 15 shard has really shaken up a lot lately. I use a refresh (sometimes 2) and I hit #3 fairly often. (I haven't yet beat out the 2 TI guys who share my payout.)

I run full sith, either zaul or DN based on who I'm up against. I've noticed lately almost every team is slightly different on the way up. It's added a new element of excitement to try my team against new comps. We talk on our shard chat about how each other's teams are, and how they handle defending.

I'm sure it'll settle down soon, but for now, I'm having fun.
  • Options
    There's a lot of changes in my shard too. But for me it's not very interesting when the top players still resort to using the same core toons like Chaze, GK etc to regain position. To me it's smoke and mirrors. However it's still nice to see different leads pop up, even if the Wiggs combo is still up there a lot more than I'd like to see.
  • Options
    December 2015 ahaha and nah I can get into the top 10 still if I really try, there are a few teams up there with Wedge/Chaze, Rogue 1 and a very very fast resistance team who I can never beat, as well as standRd triple cleanse teams :)
    I am on December 2015 shard as well, I am only bumping into one FO squad in top 50 - Jishiua - is that you? :wink:
  • Options
    I'm liking arena again... was using a Zaul, EP, SiT, DN and Zavage team... had to climb from the 20s every day and had a terrible time with most teams... relying on RNG to win half the time... now I run a Zader lead, with GK, DN, R2 and Thrawn and can easily beat any team (I throw in Rex against Rez)

Even though the team is beatable on defense. I'm not dropping out of the top 10... some, yeah it's fun again.
  • Options
    i'm trying to make it fun again but for me it will always be the worst part of the game.

the biggest reasons i hate it is because everyone uses the same characters and coupled with speed and OP rebels i never get a turn.
  • Options
    I am on December 2015 shard as well, I am only bumping into one FO squad in top 50 - Jishiua - is that you? :wink:

Nah not me man :') glad to see other FO users are doing well through :)
  • Options
    DoomeyEyes wrote: »
    I'm liking arena again... was using a Zaul, EP, SiT, DN and Zavage team... had to climb from the 20s every day and had a terrible time with most teams... relying on RNG to win half the time... now I run a Zader lead, with GK, DN, R2 and Thrawn and can easily beat any team (I throw in Rex against Rez)

Even though the team is beatable on defense. I'm not dropping out of the top 10... some, yeah it's fun again.

This team sounds really fun, I love thrawns kit so much, but only have him at 5* gear 8 at the moment /) was planning on zetaing vader next and running Vader Palps Shore Tarkin and Thrawn, or maybe RG instead
  • Options
    There's a lot of changes in my shard too. But for me it's not very interesting when the top players still resort to using the same core toons like Chaze, GK etc to regain position. To me it's smoke and mirrors. However it's still nice to see different leads pop up, even if the Wiggs combo is still up there a lot more than I'd like to see.
    Yeah, overall nothing's really changed, not dramatically.
  • Options
    Arena still not near as fun as it was 3-4 months ago.
  • Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Arena still not near as fun as it was 3-4 months ago.

Shame your shard is like that :( give it time and hopefully more teams will come about? And surely there will be a Jedi pass soon which will make life even more interesting :))
  • Options
    I am running full Empire and loving it.

I was running 3/5 Empire Zader squad with DN and Savage but it was Thrawn that was needed to make full Empire viable.

In a few weeks once people get a chance to gear him I suspect more people will start seeing some shifts in their shards.
  • Options

I was running 3/5 Empire Zader squad with DN and Savage but it was Thrawn that was needed to make full Empire viable.

In a few weeks once people get a chance to gear him I suspect more people will start seeing some shifts in their shards.

Niiice :) full empire is presumably zVader Palps Shore Thrawn + 1? (TFP/RG/DT???)
  • Options

Niiice :) full empire is presumably zVader Palps Shore Thrawn + 1? (TFP/RG/DT???)

Nah,

Zader
    Tarkin
    Thrawn
    Deathtrooper
    Krennick

I've also run:

Thrawn
    Shore
    Tarkin
    DT
    Krennick

But I drop way faster with Thrawn lead.

To me, TFP just has no place in arena right now. Too squishy and there are too many counter attackers for his foresight to keep him alive.

Similar story with EP. He CAN be very useful against some squads but in general, he's a target on D.

Krennick is squishy too, but zDT prevents critical hits and also restores his health.

Tarkin is a on the squishy side himself but if you can debuff the enemy, his unique Zeta makes him a tank and his TM removal and offense down are DOPE.
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    Sadly too many whales keep running Chaze and spend much of their time defending their strategy. Name a FTP who can say the same...I'll wait. They can get Chaze but gearing them takes a lot of effort and time so most FTP won't have them fully starred or geared. Plus the AI finds them easy to play so they defend well. The beatability of them isn't the issue but rather their ubiquity. They are as dull as dishwater and seeing some change in the arena is welcome.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Keszey
    68 posts Member
    Options
    Most of the leaders on my Oct. 15th shard are GK sub 20.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Top 10 today was this at payout.

5 Rex leads, 1 Jedi, 1 Nihilis (me), 2 Maul teams, 1 first order.

In the top 50, i've seen 3 other Jedi teams, one Krennic lead, One Veers, 2 Vader, 1 clone, 2 or 3 other Nihilis, and the rest are Maul or Rex leads. Never seen a Rogue 1 or Resistance squad in my shard.

Not a huge amount of variety, but better than it was last year when everyone had Wedge, Biggs, Lando. My issue is with people using the plug and play characters that fit in teams with no faction synergy. Chaze, Nihilis, Rex, Kylo Ren, General Kenobi (although, due to being the highest raid reward I can accept this one), and somewhat R2D2. The variety you speak of mostly just involves using these characters in various compositions so it isn't really variety. It would help if leader abilities didn't help characters outside the leader's faction so much (mostly looking at you Rex).
  • Options
    Haven't seen it yet

Literally 1-10 on my server are Rex/Chaze/Kenobi/Nihilus/R2. Even a few weeks ago there was much more variety than that. Maul, Rogue One, Vader, all nearly dead. Rex reigns supreme
  • Options
    I have seen a shake-up in the top 20 of my shard as well. A pretty healthy mix of Rex, Gk, Maul, Nihilus, QGJ, BF and Jyn leads.
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    Similarly, my Top 6 yesterday had 6 different leaders. It's a welcome change.
  • Options
    I think Thrawn is bringing up a lot of interesting combos and we will see more variety when more players have him geared... good job devs!
    Just hate you for making us work on phoenix though... that one will be remembered for a while... lol
  • Options

Nah,

Zader
    Tarkin
    Thrawn
    Deathtrooper
    Krennick

I've also run:

Thrawn
    Shore
    Tarkin
    DT
    Krennick

But I drop way faster with Thrawn lead.

To me, TFP just has no place in arena right now. Too squishy and there are too many counter attackers for his foresight to keep him alive.

Similar story with EP. He CAN be very useful against some squads but in general, he's a target on D.

Krennick is squishy too, but zDT prevents critical hits and also restores his health.

Tarkin is a on the squishy side himself but if you can debuff the enemy, his unique Zeta makes him a tank and his TM removal and offense down are DOPE.

I actually love this team ahaha it looks like it would be really fun + aesthetically as well
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »

In the top 50, i've seen 3 other Jedi teams, one Krennic lead, One Veers, 2 Vader, 1 clone, 2 or 3 other Nihilis, and the rest are Maul or Rex leads. Never seen a Rogue 1 or Resistance squad in my shard.

The fact your seeing veers is surprising to me, I had heard troopers are fun but can't really hold their own in arena? When resistance start coming with the super fast 265 Poe be worried ahah.
    Clones are a team who I feel need a faction pass IF they are to be viable in arena, however this can wait as they are incredibly useful in other parts of the game such as GW and the AAT raid
  • darthsmall
    6 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Im on an early january2015 shard and arena was always fun.maybe because i run low expectations knowing that is hard as a f2p to compete.run zaul at the time everyone's did.put all i got into building the well known triple cleanse team what meant for example spending 2 month on collecting gear to bring kenobi to g11 right after unlocking him.sure chaze and nihilus and kenobi arent fully starred yet but they dont have to be, especially baze.sure some might find them boring but for me as f2p it was an awesome feeling beeing able to reach the top spot after playing like one and a half year and know that i can beat everyone on offense in my shard (got lucky with mods i guess).And the variety in my shard is very high and not boring with a good mix on rex, nihilus, gk, zaul and fo teams.Watching my shard i can tell that in the top30 everyone can beat each other what is for me way better than if there were teams that would be unbeatable forcing others to build the exact same to compete.
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »

The fact your seeing veers is surprising to me, I had heard troopers are fun but can't really hold their own in arena? When resistance start coming with the super fast 265 Poe be worried ahah.
    Clones are a team who I feel need a faction pass IF they are to be viable in arena, however this can wait as they are incredibly useful in other parts of the game such as GW and the AAT raid

I wouldn't consider 265 speed to be super fast. Put those same mods on Yoda under a zQGJ lead and he will be handing out tenacity up protected behind foresight at over 300 speed. Give them to Dooku under a Zaul lead and he can be stunning that Poe with an effective first turn speed of over 350, while the Sith Assassin can make an entire Sith team under Zaul almost that fast as well.

For the empire, TFP and Thrawn are as fast or faster than Poe, as are Chirrut, Jyn, or R2D2 for rebels, and if you are lacking equally good mods to the resistance team you can always throw on a speed boosting leader like Tarkin or Lando. Or you can just put in a Rex lead and neuter resistance completely the first time someone crits. I'm pretty sure even droids should be able to handle resistance easily enough with stun, and/or ability block coming in at effective speeds of over 300.

Resistance are amazing in raids and are good on offence in arena, but I don't think they can possibly hold against an intelligent opponent on defence any better than Veers/Troopers can.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    Options
    It's not fun, when all the f2p can be competitive. Top20 is something, where they shouldn't be
  • Options
    No arena is in it worst state yet.
  • Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »

What are you seeing in your shard? Rex/GK leads with the occasionally Wedge, zQGJ, and zMaul leads?
  • Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »

Yeah hopefully if you give it time it'll become better? I'm on an old shard and people are experimenting with all kind of teams now, it's much better than it was