Chat banner messages and client restart

I've always been able to continue a raid when a client restart hits, and I've never had any problem participating in chat and still finishing my raid run, then doing the forced restart once I get my damage recorded. Tonight that was still going as usual, and then the raid ended, so I wanted to update the guild to say so by putting it in the banner, so they would know they had an hour to get out (the bug not updating the chat for the raid end is still unfixed, by the way; that's been that way far too long now).

But I discovered something else very disturbing. When I tried to update the chat banner, it pulled up the forced restart message, and I couldn't finish my run. I was doing far better than I have in weeks, and I wasn't able to get my damage counted at all. I had no idea putting up a banner message would trigger the forced restart. That seems very bad, because it means guild leaders can't update their guild on anything if they're in a raid and a forced restart hits, or else none of their damage counts.