What I Love about SWGOH

thelebk
38 posts Member
A friend of mine, who is a pillar of the community and I have great respect for, recently expressed the opinion that the majority of comments here in the official forums are negative. This is turn adversely affects the morale of the developers. While this has not been my personal observation on these forums, I wanted to take a moment to create an exclusively positive thread and remind the developers how much we love SWGOH and why. I have spent $14,000.00 USD on SWGOH, an order of magnitude more than I have ever spent on any other video game in history, and here's why:

1) Star Wars is a great license. They captured the hearts of my generation and changed movie making forever. It was one of the first real franchises we saw build off of a wildly popular movie. Its exciting, and visionary in so many ways. Through SWGOH we get to experience a piece of that magic.

2) SWGOH is synchronized with Disney and we get to experience additional content every time there is a new development in the Star Wars Universe. The integration is beautiful!

3) The graphics and sound are great. Lets face it this is a visual medium, and while smart phones do not have the computing power of an actual PC, as gamers we have come to expect great graphics and sound. SWGOH delivers beautifully rendered models and high quality sound. Even the cut scenes from the recent Thrawn event were a delight to behold.

4) The game is fun. Too many games look great at the storyboard stage but once deployed we find ourselves constantly searching for the fun. SWGOH was implemented in such a way that there is deep play for the serious gamer, yet it is still approachable for the casual gamer. The balance is fantastic.

5) The game is actually playable Free to Play (FTP). Many games lure folks in with the tag line of free but hide almost all of the content behind pay walls. in SWGOH FTP players can still be top players and enjoy almost every aspect of the game.

6) The leveling system which progressively adds new challenges and play modes is wonderful. its like a long tutorial that constantly tantalizes the user with awesome new opportunities every few levels.

7) The diversity of the powers and abilities in SWGOH is amazing. The developers have done a masterful job in building variety into the game while still capturing the essence of each personae they bring into the universe. Well done!

8) There is something for everyone in SWGOH. For those who like mano y mano Player vs, Player (PVP) there is Arena. For those who like group activity there are guild raids, for those who enjoy grand campaigns of strategy there is Galactic War.

9) The collectible aspect lends itself to variety in what teams people field, and encourages the user to find novel ways to solve problems, with the characters they have.

10) SWGOH has an amazing community. From live streaming You Tube channels, to various forums, and a myriad of social networking applications-- SWGOH is a great way to get connected to people, which is one of the fundamental capabilities of a mobile platform.

11) SWGOH is international. Just like the diversity of species in the Star Wars Universe, SWGOH brings together people from all over the world with different languages and cultures. Its a fantastic educational and social experience!

12) SWGOH lets you give gear to your guild mates allowing you to help your friends along, while encouraging generosity and cooperation.

13) SWGOH is a living universe. New content is constantly being added keeping the game fresh for seasoned players. The constantly changing metaverse allows newer players a shot to have their day on top as well.

14) SWGOH does not cap the number of characters you can have like other games do. You can collect as many characters as you like and develop them as you see fit.

15) There is plenty to do in SWGOH. One can easily spend several hours a day actually playing the game. So many mobile games limit the play experience severely-- once you run out of time units there is nothing to do. Not so in SWGOH!

16) SWGOH allows you to customize your characters though mods etc. Soon we will even be able to customize our ships!

17) Capital Games employs gamers. These are folks who truly enjoy the gaming business and it shows in the long hard hours they put in to create elegant design.

18) SWGOH is profitable. This means that the game will be around for a long time and provides the resources required to make substantial upgrades and ensures a steady stream of new content.

19) And finally... The Capital Games Development studio is not far from where I live so if they ever have an open house, or sponsor a local focus group, I will be able to attend. Yeah!

Replies

• Options
    I agree with most everything except for 15.

I wish there was more to do in the game. I often find myself spending energy, simming battles, checking stores, and then putting the game away for 3-6 hours.

I truly hope this new "game" mode allows for more immersive, time consuming, game play.
  • thelebk
    38 posts Member
    Options
    GW, all the arena matches, all the fleet combats, the various cantina and normal energy counters, managing mods, trying new combinations... There a lot here to do! :)
  • USAmazing
    1157 posts Member
    Options
    I love this game!

No other mobile StarWars game out there like it, I will keep playing for sure.

I do not like all the whining and complaining on these forums, because I don't feel those people accurately represent the majority of game players.
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • thelebk
    38 posts Member
    Options
    I think your right USAmazing! We all know that folks who are upset are far more likely to do something about (such as post) than the folks who are satisfied. This is simply a great game, and its sales prove it!
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I enjoy the game a lot even if many of my comments express frustration. I have strong convictions and am passionate about the game. It all means I enjoy this game immensely and want to continue playing for months to come. I have spent more money than I have on a game before, although I wouldn't consider myself even close to a whale. Maybe, a pretty small dolphin.

Perhaps a freemium game does not suit me as well since balance is important to me. I recognize that there needs to be some level of imbalance to keep an incentive to chase different characters and teams, just sometimes I feel that the strength gap is a bit too much, and some factions getting a little too much emphasis over others.

I really enjoy how this game is like a mix of the card collecting games, and also to actually be able to control the battles. The developers did a masterful job in intertwining this. It helps the game feel fresh and unique to me. Plus, I love Star Wars so I got hooked. I am always excited about what is to come next, particularly with QoL, and new events. Reworks are great too)

It is expected that in video games the forums will have a lot of negativity. It's just human nature for people to be more likely to come here to express frustration than when they are happy so the forum really shouldn't be considered an accurate measure of how happy the playerbase is since it will be skewed negative. Developers also can't please everyone, but I'm sure they take a lot of care and pride into what they do.
  • Easybee
    140 posts Member
    Options
    Go complain in your own thread, Brek.

I love this game. I've been playing for over a year and a half, and this is the first FTP game I have ever spent money on. Why? Because it has already given me so much!

Big thanks to the devs! You have designed a game that always keeps m coming back for more. My wife plays it, my brother in law plays it, my friends play it. I have made friends I have never met because I play it.

I can't get enough of it. Most of the negative comments are made BECAUSE people love this game and are passionate about it. Otherwise they would silently quit. Keep going!
  • 3mper0r
    33 posts Member
    Options
    one thing i learned at a previous place of employment was that people are very quick to voice their complaints and rarely voice their praise.

this is so true in life in general.

if you go out to eat and have an amazing steak and outstanding service how quick are you to tell people about that?

how quick do you tel people if your eggs weren't cooked he way you ordered them and the bacon was burnt?

we are all guilty of it including myself. i personally currently have a love/hate for this game. the love part is what keeps me playing it and trying my best to ignore the hate parts.
  • Options
    I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread @CUNOMOR!

I love SW:GoH! I have been playing for almost a year and a half, and it has always kept me picking up my phone. New content is frequent, and that keeps everything lively. There's always something to do. Collect this character, get to #1 in the shard, finish the raid. It really develops strategy and promotes cooperation. I've alwayd been practically the number one fan of Star Wars, so when I saw this game, I had to get it. The devs are great, the content is great, the game is awesome!
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    3mper0r wrote: »
    one thing i learned at a previous place of employment was that people are very quick to voice their complaints and rarely voice their praise.

if you go out to eat and have an amazing steak and outstanding service how quick are you to tell people about that?

how quick do you tel people if your eggs weren't cooked he way you ordered them and the bacon was burnt?

we are all guilty of it including myself. i personally currently have a love/hate for this game. the love part is what keeps me playing it and trying my best to ignore the hate parts.

I've gotten no less than 25 people hopelessly addicted to this game (yeah, I know big whoop 25 people, but I am sure many of you have done the same thing, get your friends addicted). I tell people about it all the time; does that mean I dont complain? Heck no. We'll use your example of a restaurant; I have my favorites that I go to all the time, I tell people (people here make youtube videos etc).

However; when something happens that we are not happy with (overcharged for steak, getting it well done when you asked for medium etc); then you do complain. When the waiter just walks off and doesnt even acknowledge the complaint then the voices get louder; ask to see a manager, something.
  • Osh
    126 posts Member
    Options
    Essentially this post is about the OP justifying why he spent 14k on it. He has to love it as it's now a significant investment.

There may also be a little... "Please leave the Dev's alone or they might quit and I would have wasted my time/money"

Everyone who plays this game, knows its great. They just want to see more and are not afraid to ask for it.
  • 3mper0r
    33 posts Member
    Options
    Bhaalor wrote: »
    3mper0r wrote: »

I've gotten no less than 25 people hopelessly addicted to this game (yeah, I know big whoop 25 people, but I am sure many of you have done the same thing, get your friends addicted). I tell people about it all the time; does that mean I dont complain? Heck no. We'll use your example of a restaurant; I have my favorites that I go to all the time, I tell people (people here make youtube videos etc).

However; when something happens that we are not happy with (overcharged for steak, getting it well done when you asked for medium etc); then you do complain. When the waiter just walks off and doesnt even acknowledge the complaint then the voices get louder; ask to see a manager, something.

oh i wasn't trying to say people shouldn't complain. i was actually agreeing with the op about not enough praise.

the problem with complaints any time for anything is they are best heard when done constructively. just like with arguments. there is no need to get nasty and loud. you can complain and argue in a polite constructive manner.
  • Options
    USAmazing wrote: »
    I love this game!

No other mobile StarWars game out there like it, I will keep playing for sure.

I do not like all the whining and complaining on these forums, because I don't feel those people accurately represent the majority of game players.

I agree completely, one of if not, the best mobile game in the app store, people should appreciate the many great things about this game than focus on the negative
  • Options
    SWGOH is basically the only mobile game I play, also because I love it. I dabble in a few others that my friends play also to have something to talk about, but my heart lies here. Are there updates/fixes/additions that could be made? Yeah, of course. Do I expect them NOW? Nope, not one bit. I'm a software engineer by trade and I totally get that things take a lot of time and effort. Just like everything else I'm waiting for (books, tv shows, other video games etc.), I'll wait until they deem it good enough for release. I'd rather have well thought out and executed content than rushed and poorly put together content.

I get that things can be stagnant for the whales who have every character geared and leveled to the max, but as a guppy I still have a ton left to do in this game. My guild should be able to finally get HAAT completed this month, which has a lot of benefits that we'll be reaping other than just the rewards. I need to complete my Empire and Phoenix teams for the legendary events, as well as a Resistance team that I want because they should be getting a boost with Episode 8 coming out soon. I also have a baby Sith team that could use some loving. My Rancor teams are fine but I always have a new fun one I want to try eventually, then I have a ton more HAAT teams to do.

I get the negativity, but I really only see it from the top players who have spent tons of money and have nothing left to work on being the negative ones. All my friends/guildmates certainly don't share the same concerns and are excited to see what we get next. Keep up the good work devs, and have a great holiday weekend!
  • SolariJedi
    138 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This game is much more than a mobile game, and that is huge nod to the developers. Being in a constant state of "I need something new" that most of the technological world is in, to keep those initially interested, sated for an extended amount of time, and continue to draw new players, that's awesome. Adapting the game, creating new content, even giving customization options, this game is truly unique, for it being a mobile based game.
  • thelebk
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who posted. You have shared with me even more reasons why I love this game and plan to keep playing! I can't wait to try out the new guild campaign mode. Great job Developers! @Advocate it sounds like you are part of an amazing, positive, guild. Please post if you have any openings! :)
  • thelebk
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Heroic Battles event INC. Neat!