So can we end this pointless argument?

The whole OT vs prequels thing is about as boring as the limitless complaints over GW on these forums. We get it OT die-hards, your older than we are and would rather kill somebody, go to jail, and spend the rest of your lives there before you say that the prequel movies were even remotely good. I'm 27, seen the 6 movies (I have seen but not counting the current ongoing trilogy or rogue one), don't give a **** about the cartoons, haven't read any books or comics, and I prefer the prequels SIMPLY because the effects and choreography is cooler than older films. you guys probably did the same when you were younger when you compared movies from before you were born to the ones you saw coming out that (at the time) had awesome cutting edge special effects etc. And the kids that are being born today will probably do the same thing with my generation's "classics".

Both Star Wars trilogies had some bad plot points, poor script parts, and horrible love-to-hate characters but they are all still awesome movies and everyone has their favoured trilogy for whatever reason, it's still a great universe and more is still to come. So can we finally drop the whole childish "mine is better than yours" argument, it's getting very stale.

Replies

• Options
    Empire is the most over rated movie that I can think of
  • Options
    But mine is better than yours
  • Options
    But mine is better than yours

Nice troll ;)
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    And, you are entitled to your opinion as are people that preferred the original trilogy and disliked the prequels. I disliked the prequels, mainly for the overuse of CGI (particularly, phantom menace), very wooden acting for most characters (i heard this was due to talking in front of a green screen the whole time), horrible writing for Anakin, particularly in Attack of the Clones with his whining, and cringe inducing romance with Padme due to the script etc.

Currently enjoying Rebels though, and am thankful it moved on from the immaturity of the initial seasons, and geared for a slightly more mature audience now, although it still show signs of it. I felt the same way about the clone wars cartoon.
  • Options
    This debate will never end. I grew up in the OT era.

I think Phantom Menace is not as bad as people make it out to be.
    I thought episode 2 was awful. Horrid acting. I actually laughed out loud in the theatre when Anakins mother died. That scene was laughable.
    I really enjoyed episode 3. Very underrated movie.

I think for me that the prequels overuse of CGI really put a damper on it. The costumes in the originals made it seem more "real".

As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »
    And, you are entitled to your opinion as are people that preferred the original trilogy and disliked the prequels. I disliked the prequels, mainly for the overuse of CGI (particularly, phantom menace), very wooden acting for most characters (i heard this was due to talking in front of a green screen the whole time), horrible writing for Anakin, particularly in Attack of the Clones with his whining, and cringe inducing romance with Padme due to the script etc.

Currently enjoying Rebels though, and am thankful it moved on from the immaturity of the initial seasons, and geared for a slightly more mature audience now, although it still show signs of it. I felt the same way about the clone wars cartoon.

Yea thinking about it phantom does have a lot of cgi, but it's not something that stood out to me since it had become so commonplace in movies of my generation (at least the good genres like action, sci fi, fantasy haha) as for wooden acting you can definitely see it in the (at that time) less experienced actors, but Ewan, Samuel, Christopher Lee did great jobs IMO. Christopher was probs used to all the green-screening from LOTR though haha
  • Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    This debate will never end. I grew up in the OT era.

I think Phantom Menace is not as bad as people make it out to be.
    I thought episode 2 was awful. Horrid acting. I actually laughed out loud in the theatre when Anakins mother died. That scene was laughable.
    I really enjoyed episode 3. Very underrated movie.

I think for me that the prequels overuse of CGI really put a damper on it. The costumes in the originals made it seem more "real".

As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

Yea excessive cgi definitely seems to be one of the bigger peeves of the OT fans, like I said above its not as noticeable to me since I've more or less grown up with it in my choice of films
  • Options
    JohnTS676 wrote: »
    awesome cutting edge special effects

Hahahahaha. :lol:
    RotS wasn't half bad but oh boy the other two...
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I grew up with the prequels and thought they were boring. Now i hate them with a burning passion. And the effects are NOT better than the OT
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    If you'd like to argue that the prequels are good, pm me and i'll systematically destroy everything about them. I wont do it in the thread because most people on the forums have already seen my rants.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The whole OT vs prequels thing is about as boring as the limitless complaints over GW on these forums. We get it OT die-hards, your older than we are and would rather kill somebody, go to jail, and spend the rest of your lives there before you say that the prequel movies were even remotely good. I'm 27, seen the 6 movies (I have seen but not counting the current ongoing trilogy or rogue one), don't give a **** about the cartoons, haven't read any books or comics, and I prefer the prequels SIMPLY because the effects and choreography is cooler than older films. you guys probably did the same when you were younger when you compared movies from before you were born to the ones you saw coming out that (at the time) had awesome cutting edge special effects etc. And the kids that are being born today will probably do the same thing with my generation's "classics".

Both Star Wars trilogies had some bad plot points, poor script parts, and horrible love-to-hate characters but they are all still awesome movies and everyone has their favoured trilogy for whatever reason, it's still a great universe and more is still to come. So can we finally drop the whole childish "mine is better than yours" argument, it's getting very stale.

Wow - this is a post for troll invites if ever I saw one.

So special effects and choreography are more important to you than character development, scrip and story.

Do you stare at fireworks with your mouth open and a little drool at the side? My point is that to say you like wow factor over a compelling story etc. sounds pretty mindless and childish if you ask me - I am not trying to insult you, but you must hear how what you have said sounds to others.

Children are gripped in PT because of colour - lightsabers and lasers blue green red great effects chorepgrahy, Jar Jar and they feel they grew up with Anakin - yay! But fail to see what the PT was. A vision of excellence brought together by the amazing story of the OT, the PT which was then rushed (despite being 16 years apart), contradicted, poorly written and poorly acted for the most part.

You do realize that in 1997 the OT were re-worked with fantastic digital effects added to bring them up to date? They are essentially still the same movies that outshine the PT any day of the week without those added effects.

Yes the PT is exciting to watch - but it doesn't grip you like the OT does.

The Omen was made in 1976 - fantastic movie - do I prefer the remake released in 2006 because it is newer? No. The original movie was made long before I was born but is still the better version. In fact every "remake" Hollywood has done has flopped: Total Recall, Psycho, Dawn of the Dead, Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Piranha, King Kong, The Karate Kid - I could go on and on, but all are not half as good as the original.

• Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options

Even rots had it's terrible moments. When dooku walks in to fight Anakin flanked by b2s, it looks like a cutscene from command and conquer.

It's unfortunate that it doesn't hold up. I don't think Lucas could've known it wouldn't hold up, but it is what it is.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Snake2 wrote: »

Even rots had it's terrible moments. When dooku walks in to fight Anakin flanked by b2s, it looks like a cutscene from command and conquer.

It's unfortunate that it doesn't hold up. I don't think Lucas could've known it wouldn't hold up, but it is what it is.

How does Obi Wan destroy those B2s - if you watch he runs up the stairs towards them, doesn't swing his lightsaber at all while they are unloading a wave of laser blasts at him and then they drop? I am confused every time I watch this.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Boo wrote: »
    In fact every "remake" Hollywood has done has flopped: Total Recall, Psycho, Dawn of the Dead, Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Piranha, King Kong, The Karate Kid - I could go on and on, but all are not half as good as the original.

Hmmm ... I would argue that the 1931 version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was superior to the 1920 version. But the 1941 version was worse than both of the former.
  • Options
    In fact every "remake" Hollywood has done has flopped: Total Recall, Psycho, Dawn of the Dead, Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Piranha, King Kong, The Karate Kid - I could go on and on, but all are not half as good as the original.

Whoa... I don't know about the other ones but whoever doesn't think Piranha 3D and 3DD are instant classics is clearly delusional. B)
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • USAmazing
    1157 posts Member
    Options
    I love all the StarWars movies, even the Ewok films!

That being said, there are things I really like and things I really don't like in all of them.

I can't hardly wait for more movies, I need MORE STAR WARS!!! (Good or Bad, I will watch them all!)
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • JohnTS676
    369 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    If you'd like to argue that the prequels are good, pm me and i'll systematically destroy everything about them. I wont do it in the thread because most people on the forums have already seen my rants.

I'm not arguing that either trilogy is good/better than the other one. Much like the trolls that like to jump in the threads and make pointless non-constructive comments, as is the nature of a troll, I am just tired of the same thing from people bashing one trilogy or the other in posts not even remotely related to the credibility of the movies. Ultimately it's probably pointless as trolls will be trolls and people feel so passionately about certain movies more than others and will feel the need to say so, but it would be nice to try and remove at least one version of "trolling" that we really don't need.

So special effects and choreography are more important to you than character development, scrip and story.

Do you stare at fireworks with your mouth open and a little drool at the side? My point is that to say you like wow factor over a compelling story etc. sounds pretty mindless and childish if you ask me - I am not trying to insult you, but you must hear how what you have said sounds to others.

Children are gripped in PT because of colour - lightsabers and lasers blue green red great effects chorepgrahy, Jar Jar and they feel they grew up with Anakin - yay! But fail to see what the PT was. A vision of excellence brought together by the amazing story of the OT, the PT which was then rushed (despite being 16 years apart), contradicted, poorly written and poorly acted for the most part.

You do realize that in 1997 the OT were re-worked with fantastic digital effects added to bring them up to date? They are essentially still the same movies that outshine the PT any day of the week without those added effects.

The Omen was made in 1976 - fantastic movie - do I prefer the remake released in 2006 because it is newer? No. The original movie was made long before I was born but is still the better version. In fact every "remake" Hollywood has done has flopped: Total Recall, Psycho, Dawn of the Dead, Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Piranha, King Kong, The Karate Kid - I could go on and on, but all are not half as good as the original.

Again, not promoting either trilogy over the other, and as I said in my original post both have problems. This whole divide in the Star Wars community would probably be reversed if at the time the OT was made, they had chosen to go with the PT scripts and then done the OT at the time the prequels were made. Since George went to them with 9 scripts originally and they chose to go with 4,5,6 at that time. You see my point?

Ps I've read the original scripts that were proposed originally for episodes 7,8,9 and personally I think we can all be thankful that those didn't come to fruition
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Again, not promoting either trilogy over the other, and as I said in my original post both have problems. This whole divide in the Star Wars community would probably be reversed if at the time the OT was made, they had chosen to go with the PT scripts and then done the OT at the time the prequels were made. Since George went to them with 9 scripts originally and they chose to go with 4,5,6 at that time. You see my point?

I strongly disagree. People dont like the prequels because they're objectively poorly made. Yes, A New Hope and Return of the Jedi have some issues, but they're still good movies.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options
    I'm 33, OT is better in my opinion.
    I prefer "dated" acting over plain bad acting. CG is cool and all, but they essentially made an animated movie with real actors.
    Making a thread telling people to stop voicing their opinions is about as effective as telling people to stop arguing about abortion. Drastically different topics obviously, but both will go nowhere.
  • Options
    USAmazing wrote: »

That being said, there are things I really like and things I really don't like in all of them.

I can't hardly wait for more movies, I need MORE STAR WARS!!! (Good or Bad, I will watch them all!)

I gotta watch those films one day
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »

It may be weird, but I would prefer a more violent Rebels, I know it's a kids show, but it would be more entertaining.
    "There are no Jedi here anymore. Only dreamers like this fool." - Baze Malbus.

https://swgoh.gg/u/limitedu34/
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »

I'm not arguing that either trilogy is good/better than the other one. Much like the trolls that like to jump in the threads and make pointless non-constructive comments, as is the nature of a troll, I am just tired of the same thing from people bashing one trilogy or the other in posts not even remotely related to the credibility of the movies. Ultimately it's probably pointless as trolls will be trolls and people feel so passionately about certain movies more than others and will feel the need to say so, but it would be nice to try and remove at least one version of "trolling" that we really don't need.

Ps I've read the original scripts that were proposed originally for episodes 7,8,9 and personally I think we can all be thankful that those didn't come to fruition

George didn't come with scripts he came with stories.

At the time, veiwers wanted to see heroes triumph (Luke - OT trilogy) not heroes fall (Anakin - PT).

Lucas in my opinion was full of himself as to how well star wars took off, considering how difficult it was to get going in the first place. It all went to his head and with a large fan base he felt he could do no wrong with the PT - he was wrong on that account.

As for his scripts of 7, 8 and 9 - it doesn't surprise me when you say we are lucky that George's scripts were thrown out. The man went mad. Plain and simple.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    USAmazing wrote: »

I gotta watch those films one day

The Ewok movies are 1 1/2 hours each - time you will never get back if you watch them. But I would say they are worth a watch - at least once, lol
  • Options
    Which trilogy gave us better memes? enough said
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    PapiBlanco wrote: »
    Which trilogy gave us better memes? enough said

that's an opinion as to what memes you may be referring to. But then again which trilogy is better is also opinion, but if you say the PT, then you are wrong, lol