Arena parity has finally been achieved

Prev1
Yesterday I made the climb and hit number one for the first time. I found my shard chat and we all do our best to respect payout times. But I fell all the way back to 26 today. Truly any team can beat any other team. I see rex leads nihlius leads zeta maul thrawn and resistance. We even have a couple of wedge leads left over. The point is that we can now run different types of teams and compete with anyone else. I don't have chaze but I can beat chaze. I think this is what everyone was looking for and we have it.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    +1

It's great.

Unfortunately it will end sooner than later (my bet), as we will see more zetas,
    New content, lvl and gear cap increase and possibly 6 and even 7 dot mods. I bet we see almost all of these this year(maybe not 7 dot mods)
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    +1

It's great.

Unfortunately it will end sooner than later (my bet), as we will see more zetas,
    New content, lvl and gear cap increase and possibly 6 and even 7 dot mods. I bet we see almost all of these this year(maybe not 7 dot mods)

jmho but I think 6 & 7 dot mods would break the game & ppl would quit in droves. And I think CG knows that.
    ~ There is a great disturbance in the forum. ~
  • Options
    I'd argue any team can beat any team ... or offense always wins ... is more a sign things have never been so unbalanced
  • Options
    Still chaze and DN on almost all teams is not parody. My shard an old one from dec 15 is all rex triple cleanse teams. I run a full thrawn team and have no luck vs them. My only chance to make it high is through beating jedi and and sith teams
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Bon_El wrote: »
    +1

It's great.

jmho but I think 6 & 7 dot mods would break the game & ppl would quit in droves. And I think CG knows that.

I 100% agree on that, me included, lol
  • Options
    Still chaze and DN on almost all teams is not parody. My shard an old one from dec 15 is all rex triple cleanse teams. I run a full thrawn team and have no luck vs them. My only chance to make it high is through beating jedi and and sith teams

There are lots of people running Thrawn teams that can easily beat all possible triple cleanse teams with ease. That suggests the problem is with your Thrawn team rather than your opponents triple cleanse teams. It is actually Zaul lead Sith teams that do best against the better empire teams now.
  • Options
    I've definitely noticed a wider variety of teams in my shard over the last few weeks - I have to say it's refreshing to not face a triple cleanse team every fight. It seems now that most teams in my top 20 can beat each other.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

The rex or wedge leads with chaze, and frequently r2, and Kenobi is kind of ruining arena right now. Even a wedge lead in my shard chat today with Chirut, Baze, R2, and Kenobi was ranting about how ridiculously overpowered the set up is.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    +1

It's great.

I can agree, but they will come. When I say this year I don't mean soon, but they were released as a raid reward originally. So they will release them at some point.
  • Options
    It's because this meta has been around for so long that everyone has caught up. The newly-released toons have not managed to change the meta in any dramatic fashion. This game has always been about trying to catch up to the top whales and people are finally achieving that. Eventually, EA will release a P2P-friendly toon that destroys the current meta and whales will jump up again.
  • Options
    +1

It's great.

No more than mods did originally. About the same number of people would probably quit as did then. 6 & 7 dot mods would just reset the playing field as people rush to acquire them.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Lol. :D No. Not at all. 80% of the top 20 teams on my November 2015 shard are running what they've been running for almost 6 months - Rex lead Chaze, triple cleanse. Some switched for a day or two to try Thrawn or Empire - but have long since gone back to what actually works.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    I would agree with the OP. There's loads of viable options at the moment. payout in my shard is always between 3. I run the classic rex lead. one guy is zQGJ and the other is a whale that runs various teams, everything other than the usual suspects. his current thrawn, DN and 3 tanks is a really good team. we still have zmauls that can take #1 but they aren't on our payout.

Here's just a few than can take #1:

Rex lead
    Wiggs/chaze/GK (or even R2)
    Thrawn, DN + 3 tanks
    zVader + SA
    zMaul
    zQGJ
    Full empire (thrawn, tarkin or possibly krennic lead)
    Resistance? (we don't have any in our shard being run currently, although I know some guys have them).

That's pretty much every big faction in the game. How can you get more parity than that?
  • Options
    The level cap hasn't been raised in well over six months. At this point, most players (especially on older shards) have acquired enough characters and people feel like they have more room to experiment because they don't have constantly have to work towards keeping their main 5 arena team at the max gear level.

I think the grind itself has always been the biggest contributing factor in the lack of diversity in arena. When it takes weeks to max out a toon, people go build teams that they see others building at the top. You don't want to throw a lot of resources into an experiment that might not work.

That being said, there's a lot of work to do before we achieve anything remotely close to parity. The vast majority of characters in this game are completely useless in arena because they're overshadowed in both utility and raw stats by the newer characters like chaze, thrawn, R2, and kenobi. In the past, most characters could have been useable with strong teams built around them because the power differential because the strongest and the weakest characters wasn't nearly what it is now
  • Ciel_6
    178 posts Member
    Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha what's currently happening on your shard?
  • Byakuya
    392 posts Member
    Options
    Of course they can all beat each othet they are all just 2 rex leads variations! 85% triple cleanse
  • Options
    Ciel_6 wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha what's currently happening on your shard?

Incredible parity. More than any other time, there's no clear #1 team - what I see is the best "meta" is a +2 CD team with DT and DN in it and I've seen that accomplished effectively a few different ways. My top 10 at this moment is:

2x Tarkin
    3x Thrawn
    1 DN
    1 DM (Chaze with DN)
    1 QGJ
    1 Rex
    1 DV

After that, still quite a few Rex, then we have a few DV.

Toughest comp on the shard generally seems to be either a Tarkin lead with a nearly 280 DT that has a +1 CD right away with DT / DK Thrawn and DN OR Thrawn lead + DK / DT GK and DN - the Thrawn may be most complete though as it punishes DS debuff teams heavily and also with +2 CD ability and TM removal skills can also be a tough out for cleanse based teams.

I've seen on other shards and info from other DS users that Shore in the place of DK is also very effective.

DS teams seem to have a slight edge, Chaze has been minimized to a degree, but can still climb though not as efficient and tend to occupy 10-20 range vs. top 5 / 10. Most diverse meta I've ever seen though. Jedi are great. Chaze is still great. DV leads with SA can be potent. Tarkin leads. Thrawn leads are ridiculous against the DS debuff teams. Rex leads still viable.
  • Osh
    126 posts Member
    Options
    NicolBolas wrote: »
    It's because this meta has been around for so long that everyone has caught up. The newly-released toons have not managed to change the meta in any dramatic fashion. This game has always been about trying to catch up to the top whales and people are finally achieving that. Eventually, EA will release a P2P-friendly toon that destroys the current meta and whales will jump up again.

Lets hope it isn't Luke

• Options
    Osh wrote: »
    NicolBolas wrote: »

Lets hope it isn't Luke
    Luke will be f2p but most likely require an extensive and well modded roster.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Current meta for rank 1 squads
    JGKPRox

Please tell me how that is variety.

:edit: doesn't want to link for some reason
    http://imgur.com/JGKPRox
  • Gebuttersnaps
    478 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mzee wrote: »
    Current meta for rank 1 squads

Please tell me how that is variety.

:edit: doesn't want to link for some reason
    JGKPRox.png?s=sms

FIFY
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    This parity is a willful delusion or exaggeration of reality. Barely anything has changed. Emphasis on 'barely', because while there has been change, it's not dramatic to the levels that is being discussed here. Why exaggerate?
  • Options
    The people saying that Triple cleanse is still the best because it is the most used team sound exactly like the people who said that Zaul was still best when he was the most used, even as triple cleanse numbers kept climbing. Thrawn will take time for most to gear up, and with so many possible teams that use him there could easily be a hundred Empire/DS teams using him even now on that report without any of them climbing high enough to actually show.
  • Talin
    20 posts Member
    Options
    The fact that there is diversity in the arena ranks shows balance in the game. There is not just 1 meta team that beats all others has added fun back into the game for me because I can play teams I like, rather then being forced to use the current meta just because it can not be beat.
    More diverse teams means better game balance.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    Talin wrote: »
    The fact that there is diversity in the arena ranks shows balance in the game. There is not just 1 meta team that beats all others has added fun back into the game for me because I can play teams I like, rather then being forced to use the current meta just because it can not be beat.

Just because something is diverse doesn't mean it's balanced
  • Options
    Your parity is an illusion caused by poor ai.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options
    Your parity is an illusion caused by poor ai.

Of course it is caused by poor AI. That is he only thing that could allow for parity. As for most of the other people here who need a definition of parity I am not saying everything is perfect. What I am saying is that there are several options to make a push to top spot. I'm not even close to p2p but I can push there. Parity allows that. Chaze is not a necessity I don't use them and anyone who is nexessary. "Rex Gk or DN" are all obtainable for f2p.
  • Options
    xReDeMpx wrote: »

How would you judge balance than? You have 25-30+ hereos in the game that can be used in #1 rank capable squads...

Sith team, Empire teams,Jedi teams, Rebel teams, Rex mixed meta teams...tons.
  • Options
    Thrawn lead says hi to triple cleanse
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    xReDeMpx wrote: »

How would you judge balance than? You have 25-30+ hereos in the game that can be used in #1 rank capable squads...

Sith team, Empire teams,Jedi teams, Rebel teams, Rex mixed meta teams...tons.

I remember when 8-10 toons were viable in arena. Now we're looking at 3 to 4 times that. And the two large factions (Sith and Empire) that had passes are mostly solid. They have many combinations of toons under multiple leads that can compete in arena, but didn't become the instant top of the meta. And there are more faction passes to come.

Because of the horrible, miserable, glacially paced nightmare that is farming gear nobody will jump ship overnight. If they can win with what they have, they'll stay put. But Chaze has many equals, and more to come. I had my best competition in my arena (who runs Rex, Chaze, Kenobi, Nihilus) tell me he's going to have to retool his arena squad because I can beat him with my Tarkin lead Thrawn team faster than he can beat me.

As long as we don't get a level cap increase, and as long as future faction passes are as great as Sith/Empire, then the arena will keep slowly diversifying. If it shifts overnight, and Chaze disappears that means they screwed up, and made something OP.

P.S. Chaze is not OP. They are a fun power level to play, and have many equals now. Get over it already. If you don't have a team that can beat them on auto yet, then YouTube it. It's easy.