Wait a minute...Pheonix squad...on second thought yeah!

Prev1
KyloJinFinnRen
284 posts Member
edited July 2017
Just from readinh on here since the release of PS i have seen some mixed reviews. Now at first i didnt care for the squad at all or the ships in the usual way they are released. Now i only have them at liw stars 3-4 *s. I wasnt exicted bout them in the least. I didnt try to farm to get Thrawn either. But now thar the team is farmable im seeing the potiential in them. Maybe you see it too or dont. They are good for gw raids and thrawn and palp. So for newbies to the game(which im not) and veterans of the game they are useful. Even though at this time not arena viable... but wait...they can get a pass also in time. I think ill be starting on them next. I missed thrawn for now. I must say i like the way cg released them and them as a general utility team. Good idea cg. I just didnt care for the show that much and was into other teams and well wasnt impressed by their kits. Too be honest. However, after taking another look ill be farming them next. They got a whole lotta potienal those guys do. Well thats just my thoughts. If you agree cool if not cool too.
Oh i also didnt wantbto go into much depth about their kits i think every knows pretty much what each one can pull off.

Replies

• Waez
    286 posts Member
    Options
    They are a new player trap, really.
    They are effective up until other in your Arena shard get a real team. Then expect a top 100 rank max.

A Wiggs team is equally as good in GW, way better in Arena and good in Raids.
  • Options
    Their mechanics are interesting and sometimes fun, Sabine and Ezra can help out pretty nicely in other areas of the game, they are *the* synergy team and so on. So if you want to run something that will be challenging in the top 100, but generate fun for you, this could be a nice investment. You can also, similar to resistance teams at the top end, take 3 core members and drop in Chaze or GK or R2 to boost resilience. Main thing is to know that if you go full PS you have a ceiling on your arena progression.

I got them all done for Thrawn because I wanted a 7* Thrawn and he is a stalwart of my arena team now, so good beans. But I keep looking at Sabine thinking there is something there in an arena sense. I've used her on P1 Tank as part of the Kenobi sink team and she does keep GG retaliating without rest.. I don't think she gets up to FOTP DPS... but for a fire and forget P1 she is fine.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    I always liked them. They are fun if nothing else. I use them in GW but I don't use Ezra with the rest of them because he is my Jedi team all star
  • Options
    I wouldnt disagree with you that they are a fun team to use, but they are definitely not arena viable. There is a reason why all of the whales across all of the shards that have them 7 star and maxed gear are not using them in arena. Hopefully newer players to the game dont fall for the trap.

I would agree also that some of the characters do have their use in and out of arena such as ezra and kanan for unlocking palpy and yoda and thrawn. Otherwise I wouldnt look to PS to carry you to #1 out payout everyday (for now until they receive zetas)
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://swgoh.gg/u/humblemaverick/

• Options
    Why are you surprised of their viability OP? It's just that in this game, the players think that
    Not Arena Viable = Totally Useless Garbage.
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    Options
    Why are you surprised of their viability OP? It's just that in this game, the players think that
    Seriously? There are non arena viable but raid viable teams
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    I think it's statements like the above "I hope newer players to the game don't fall for the trap" that are really doing a disservice to newer players.

Veterans, who already have all of the legendary characters, have Rancor and Heroic Tank licked, and have a strategy for GW always (on these forums, from what I've seen) seem to take a look at players purely from an arena perspective or possibly looking to increase their damage in heroic somewhere. There is more to the game than that.

They are not a "trap" to newer players; Phoenix Squadron is a boon to newer players.

With protection and health heal they will get you through the majority of GW and still have full health. Even at a level where I'm top 5 in arena daily, have broken nodes 11 and 12, hard nodes 6 and 9, they were still getting me through 10 nodes of the arena, usually without concern. The ONLY reason I don't use them is because I already have clones maxed and zeta'ed so they get me through faster (and my phoenix are only gear 9/8 at at that!). Most new players are looking for a strategy that lets them actually beat GW, perhaps one that makes them not have to waste their top (sometimes only) team on nodes 1 - 5.

Then Phoenix will let you get not 1 but 2 legendary characters (Palp and Thrawn). I wish I had them available when I was newer. I had to collect a full 7* Jedi team, then a full 7* Rebel team, then a full 7* Phoenix team to beat some of these legendary events. Newer players need only collect a full 7* Phoenix team and three more 7* Jedi.

Phoenix, gear 9/8, on auto (with Chopper, not Sabine) got me 167k on heroic tank phase 1. On auto. I know that's chump change for the end gamers working with a 7* General Kenobi trying to maximize their damage, but that's 4% damage for newer players.

So don't tell me they are a "trap" to newer players. They are boon, giving newer players a halfway decent chance of actually being able to catch up to get farther in GW, in Cantina, in raids, in light side nodes to be able to faster collect the characters that will get them to top 20.
  • Options
    I use PS for gw. They make it a bit more interesting. I have seen a lot of zqgj squads in my arena shard use Ezra now, which I will probably do when I get him to 7* and higher gear. As a squad they are best against aoe types but aren't great against other squads. They are a nice addition but aren't going to come close to meta.
  • Options

Arena is useless, all you can do is farm more arena, then meta shifts and you farm more arena. The gems at payout are nice though, you can spend them farming more arena.
    ;)
  • HumbleMaverick
    57 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Dretzle I hope all newer players dont follow your model. I would agree that the PS does have their uses, are fun to use, and have individual synergy outside of the PS. You need to remember that in this game, crystals, gear and credits are king. The PS utilize a lot of gear which many times is understated or not discussed at all, which takes away newer players ability to gear other more useful toons. At the same time, because they are not arena viable it also will limit the newer player ability to obtain crystals. And finally, none of these characters are scoundrels which will limit a newer players ability to obtain the most valuable resource in the game aside from crystals - credits.

I think for newer players entering SWGOH there are so many options it is easy to get distracted, but scoundrels have to be the most logical choice. Most are easy to farm, all are arena viable, they are incredibly fun to play, and obviously they will get you the credits needed for future projects like... the PS...

Please use the word "boon" some more lol
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I've been saying it since Phoenix Squad became farmable--they're great. If I was a new player I'd be stoked.

My light side team when I first started was Jedi Consular, Chewbacca, Jawa, Ewok Scout, and Clone Sergeant. Now you can easily obtain Hera, Ezra, Sabine, Kanan, and Chopper (Sabine will lag behind until you join a guild, but unlocking her isn't too hard) early on which is a much stronger squad. Something fun to play with while you get the levels needed for better characters, and something that even when you have those characters will still get you further in Galactic War--maybe even complete it.

As far as Arena, I don't really get why people say things like:
    Waez wrote: »
    They are effective up until other in your Arena shard get a real team. Then expect a top 100 rank max.
    ...Top 100 is great. Top 200 is great. There are thousands of people on each leaderboard. They can't all be #1. More to the original point, at least one person has posted videos and others have posted anecdotal testimony that Phoenix Squad beats triple cleanse on offense. How much more viable do they need to be? (Don't say need to beat on defense--because 1) If AI defense were viable we would never see any movement in arena boards, so offense must always be superior to defense, and 2) Your last attack determines your defending team, so just switch to something more defensive at the end of the day.)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I will also say that there is always a chance in the future we get some more PS characters which could be game-changing as well. My opinion to all those starting this game, farm every character that you can that interests you. You never know when a rework is coming or when another character will be introduced to flip the game. I mean look, we are getting an ewok rework in a week or two...

• Options
    PS uses a lot of gear sure, what new toon doesnt? The easist toons to gear to 11 are older ones. And early in game ps need only to get up to gear 7 for protection, hardly endgame breaking. Even at player level 85 they do very well at 3* gear 8 in GW.
    Sth is near useless till he reaches gear9 7*. Magmatrooper is underwhelming at gear 8, and needs 2 sets of stuncuffs to get to gear 9, I agree though he does need to do more damage but man.
    My 6* gear8 ezra is comparable to my gear11 7* windu. They both have a dispell, but ezra also has an assist, and thet do about the same damage in most cases.
    You don't need to fully gear them to get good use from them.
    And did I mention they have ships?

• WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    Options
    Sabine can be a serious wrecking crew if you mod her well and use her with other rebels like Wiggs, Chaze, Fulcrum etc. Ezra is a great addition to any good Jedi team. Phoenix is rather fun and I try to find any excuse to use them, like in GW (though I agree, def not arena viable in the top of any shard).

If you want to have fun, try running a fast wiggs + fulcrum + sabine + Rex (or any decent 5th toon) in P1 of Heroic rancor and watch the pigs die ... real fast lol
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    The thing you need to know about this forum in general--and General Discussion in particular--is that the average poster is a little bit dumb. They're incapable of thinking about a character outside of the context of 7* omega/zeta gear 11 full investment. A couple--not many, but a couple--will occasionally realize that there are raids and you need characters for that, too, because you can't just use your arena squad 5 times (although, if they could, they would). The concept of only investing in a character part way is completely alien to them.

Oh, and as to your point about ships, they'd say "Ships suck and I haet them. Who cares?" And, again, mostly they think ships suck because it means they've got to put gear on Jedi Consular or Mace Windu and that's "a waste" because they can just get zetas from the challenges but then complain that the challenges don't drop enough...

As I said. A little bit dumb, if we're being generous.
  • Options
    Dretzle wrote: »
    I think it's statements like the above "I hope newer players to the game don't fall for the trap" that are really doing a disservice to newer players.

Veterans, who already have all of the legendary characters, have Rancor and Heroic Tank licked, and have a strategy for GW always (on these forums, from what I've seen) seem to take a look at players purely from an arena perspective or possibly looking to increase their damage in heroic somewhere. There is more to the game than that.

They are not a "trap" to newer players; Phoenix Squadron is a boon to newer players.
    With protection and health heal they will get you through the majority of GW and still have full health. Even at a level where I'm top 5 in arena daily, have broken nodes 11 and 12, hard nodes 6 and 9, they were still getting me through 10 nodes of the arena, usually without concern. The ONLY reason I don't use them is because I already have clones maxed and zeta'ed so they get me through faster (and my phoenix are only gear 9/8 at at that!). Most new players are looking for a strategy that lets them actually beat GW, perhaps one that makes them not have to waste their top (sometimes only) team on nodes 1 - 5.

Then Phoenix will let you get not 1 but 2 legendary characters (Palp and Thrawn). I wish I had them available when I was newer. I had to collect a full 7* Jedi team, then a full 7* Rebel team, then a full 7* Phoenix team to beat some of these legendary events. Newer players need only collect a full 7* Phoenix team and three more 7* Jedi.

Phoenix, gear 9/8, on auto (with Chopper, not Sabine) got me 167k on heroic tank phase 1. On auto. I know that's chump change for the end gamers working with a 7* General Kenobi trying to maximize their damage, but that's 4% damage for newer players.

So don't tell me they are a "trap" to newer players. They are boon, giving newer players a halfway decent chance of actually being able to catch up to get farther in GW, in Cantina, in raids, in light side nodes to be able to faster collect the characters that will get them to top 20.

Very well said!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • HumbleMaverick
    57 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    The thing you need to know about this forum in general--and General Discussion in particular--is that the average poster is a little bit dumb. They're incapable of thinking about a character outside of the context of 7* omega/zeta gear 11 full investment. A couple--not many, but a couple--will occasionally realize that there are raids and you need characters for that, too, because you can't just use your arena squad 5 times (although, if they could, they would). The concept of only investing in a character part way is completely alien to them.

Oh, and as to your point about ships, they'd say "Ships suck and I haet them. Who cares?" And, again, mostly they think ships suck because it means they've got to put gear on Jedi Consular or Mace Windu and that's "a waste" because they can just get zetas from the challenges but then complain that the challenges don't drop enough...

I think this is just a conceited statement and totally out of line. Yes most people in the forums consider all characters abilities maxed out, because that is the end goal of this game. Why would you want to work towards characters only being half finished? That poses even more of a gear sink for a pointless reason.

• Options

I think this is just a conceited statement and totally out of line. Yes most people in the forums consider all characters abilities maxed out, because that is the end goal of this game. Why would you want to work towards characters only being half finished? That poses even more of a gear sink for a pointless reason.
    You get hundreds or thousands of low level gear, where's the gear sink?
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options
    @Dretzle I hope all newer players dont follow your model. I would agree that the PS does have their uses, are fun to use, and have individual synergy outside of the PS. You need to remember that in this game, crystals, gear and credits are king. The PS utilize a lot of gear which many times is understated or not discussed at all, which takes away newer players ability to gear other more useful toons. At the same time, because they are not arena viable it also will limit the newer player ability to obtain crystals. And finally, none of these characters are scoundrels which will limit a newer players ability to obtain the most valuable resource in the game aside from crystals - credits.

I think for newer players entering SWGOH there are so many options it is easy to get distracted, but scoundrels have to be the most logical choice. Most are easy to farm, all are arena viable, they are incredibly fun to play, and obviously they will get you the credits needed for future projects like... the PS...

Please use the word "boon" some more lol

Yes gear is a bottleneck (as are credits) but did you actually read all of what he said though? They do everything he's talking about at gear 8. Easy GW for newbies to get them through the hump in the late 70's (which can stagnate your credit income big time), extra team for phase 1 to get solid intro score with literally no effort, and 2 1/2 squads for the legendary events. @Dretzle is totally right.

The haat p1 is just a bonus they're a great farm just for GW and events alone.
  • Options
    I am by no means saying not to farm the PS, my point is that I wouldn't expect them to carry you through this game, especially in arena. Most posting here are making them seem like the end all be all of greatness...

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

BECAUSE WHEN YOU'RE LEVEL 40 THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE.

The dumb people of this forum don't ever think about back when they were excited to have Talia because that meant they could actually DO dark side battles. They forget that there was a time they farmed Old Daka because they needed a real healer for dark side progression and she's literally the only one. They say that all tanks suck because they're not Baze or Shoretrooper.

When you first log into this game they don't present you a list of 110 characters and say "Pick 5 from light and dark and you get those right now." You have to earn--or buy, which is totally legitimate--every character on your roster and it's an iterative process at that. Sometimes you get a character just because, in so doing, you will be able to get a better character later. What's your Jedi Knight Guardian at? You know how many people have a level 70, 7*, g7 JKG lying around without mods because that was a warm body they could easily obtain and throw at Grandmaster Yoda?

Chewbacca's worthless and dumb, folks say. He's a scoundrel that you get for free, meaning you only have to farm 4 more scoundrels and you can start doing Credit heists.

Jedi Consular is weak, folks say. He has one of the strongest ships in the game later on. But people hate fleet because it doesn't give you crystals (it just gives you currency that you can use to buy gear that you would instead buy with crystals) and most of the pilots in it aren't e-peen show-off characters, so you can't gloat on a forum about how great the stats on your Mace Windu are.
  • Options
    Do I need to re-quote what I just said, and have been saying since the beginning of the post... the PS are not a bad team at all and have great synergy. Yes for the beginners it will work in multiple phases of SWGOH, but they currently are not an end-game team for those currently at level 85 (most people that utilize the forums) and those looking toward the current future of the game...

• Options
    Dretzle wrote: »

+1 We'll said @Dretzle!
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    The concept of only investing in a character part way is completely alien to them.

Oh, and as to your point about ships, they'd say "Ships suck and I haet them. Who cares?"

Can't still make a point without trying to put down other people, can you?

1) Sure, in some stage of the game the Phoenix toons can be useful, however at the later stages of the game they must be fully geared. When only Ezra and maybe Sabine have shown to be useful investing in the others is a mistake a new player should not make. They are horribly expensive to gear up and new players have equal chance of getting Chaze than e.g. Sabine.

But hey, don't trust experience, go ahead and waste resources. Gear level 8 is useless today, gear level 9 nearly so, and getting them to gear level 10 is a huge task.

2) Ships at low stars are garbage. Toons without maxed gear make for pretty easy targets in the fleet battles. I say again bring it in, you'll waste resources for no gain.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Naw wrote: »
    The concept of only investing in a character part way is completely alien to them.

Oh, and as to your point about ships, they'd say "Ships suck and I haet them. Who cares?"

Can't still make a point without trying to put down other people, can you?

1) Sure, in some stage of the game the Phoenix toons can be useful, however at the later stages of the game they must be fully geared. When only Ezra and maybe Sabine have shown to be useful investing in the others is a mistake a new player should not make. They are horribly expensive to gear up and new players have equal chance of getting Chaze than e.g. Sabine.

But hey, don't trust experience, go ahead and waste resources. Gear level 8 is useless today, gear level 9 nearly so, and getting them to gear level 10 is a huge task.

2) Ships at low stars are garbage. Toons without maxed gear make for pretty easy targets in the fleet battles. I say again bring it in, you'll waste resources for no gain.
    Thank you for illustrating my point.
    I'll quote myself for a second and highlight the part that sailed over your head in your haste to prove that you know less than you think you do:
    They don't all six have to be 7*, gear 11. You should get Ezra to 7, for sure, and eventually Sabine, but when you're level 35 and you're getting 500 Arena Tokens a day because you can't get Wedge yet, Hera starts looking pretty good.

Invest in characters when they're useful, stop investing when they're not useful. But don't talk to me like getting a Phoenix Squad character to gear 7 when you're the tender level of 53 is going to be so onerous that you've gimped yourself for the end of time. Use them to get the things that you need for later, then stop using them. Just as you and I and everyone else used Luminara to get through our first Galactic Wars, then stopped using her once we had better teams available.

Phoenix Squad are the new basic starter characters. Just as with the old basic starting characters, once they've served their purpose you put them away until you have nothing better to do with your credits or droids or gear.
  • Ruivussan
    310 posts Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What's your Jedi Knight Guardian at? You know how many people have a level 70, 7*, g7 JKG lying around without mods because that was a warm body they could easily obtain and throw at Grandmaster Yoda?

[/quote]

I wish I could post a screenshot of my level 70, 7* g6 Guardian. She needs one more for g7. But I don't feel like it.

PS sounds like a fun project. They need their own mod challenge. Or something else to capture some attention.

• Options
    There is an idea @Ruivussan about having a mod challenge or something for the PS, that could be interesting. I feel like it would be good to have something else along these lines for them just because it is a task to 7 star them all just for Thrawn. At least for Yoda, Palpy, and R2D2 the choices are vast and serve many facets of the game.

• Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    Thank you for illustrating my point.
    I'll quote myself for a second and highlight the part that sailed over your head in your haste to prove that you know less than you think you do:
    They don't all six have to be 7*, gear 11. You should get Ezra to 7, for sure, and eventually Sabine, but when you're level 35 and you're getting 500 Arena Tokens a day because you can't get Wedge yet, Hera starts looking pretty good.

You keep ignoring the fact that you are equally likely to get Chirrut and pick up Baze from shipments, both of whom are usable at 3* than get a working team around Phoenix? Complement them with Lando, Biggs and StHan and you are set.

Do Phoenix to get a 7* Thrawn, but forget arena with them. GW? Sure, why not, the more toons you have the better. However, I would not invest to them until much later.
    Invest in characters when they're useful, stop investing when they're not useful. But don't talk to me like getting a Phoenix Squad character to gear 7 when you're the tender level of 53 is going to be so onerous that you've gimped yourself for the end of time.

All that time others have been building toons that can be used also at later stages of the game. You don't think that is an issue?

• Options
    I want to like them and finish their building but Jesus they are boring to use... there is now POW in their hits and they take forever to use if you use them effectively.. I would die using them in GW... I use DN team and FO team.. it's pretty quick.. but this team would take an eternity
  • Hydracarbon
    665 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Waez wrote: »
    They are a new player trap, really.

A Wiggs team is equally as good in GW, way better in Arena and good in Raids.

well, i'm no fan of them, but in ships, the phoenix are the new chase and you'll need them if you want zetas fast.