Why do I fail at Squad Arena?

This has been my Squad Arena team since 6/12/17

f5k0Ms4.png

Prior to this team I ran a Zaul team that wasn't getting attacked as much, but I couldn't break the top 50. Prior to Zaul I was running a Zader team that could get to the high rank 30s or so, but everyday I was being attacked so much that I would find myself at over rank 100.

Ever since I started running this Rex team I immediately began climbing up the ladder hitting rank 14 just a few weeks ago, and even hitting as low as rank 20 late last week. Originally I was finishing in the top 50 almost everyday at payout, but within the last week or so something has changed. Everyday I win 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 of my arena battles, yet everyday I find my rank going lower and lower.

I keep track of who I beat and who I lose to in arena and how badly I lost or how easily I won. The people in the top 50 mostly haven't changed, in fact looking at my top 20 I've beaten rank 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 19, & 20 recently. In fact, I beat the rank 19 guy yesterday and the day before. So my issue is not my Offense, but something about my team makes me a Super enticing target on defense and evidently easily beaten. Yesterday I won 4 out of 5 matches and got down to rank 30, but by payout I was rank 87. Then I wake up this morning and I'm rank 130!

Today I switched out Shoretrooper for a G11 R2-Z2 I've already won 5 out of 5 matches all the teams I faced I defeated super easily with 4 to 5 toons still alive, but I would have won against these people just as easily or even easier with Shoretrooper. These people over rank 100 or even high 70s & 80s are easy wins for me, they are not close matches like the rank 20 or 30 guys. I don't even know how these people in the plus rank 100 range are even beating me they are so easy. Something is causing me to get attacked and beaten much more than my competition that are still in the top 50 daily. Maybe they are buying extra arena games, but I doubt they are all buying them.

My only thought is even though I can beat most teams running General Kenobi and/or Chaze people choose to attack me because I'm not running them, thus they consider me an easier target. Unfortunately I can't run them because I don't even have GK yet, and my Baze & Chirrut are not ready for top 100 arena yet.

This is my profile https://swgoh.gg/u/robbathehutt/ any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on why I am being attacked so much more than everyone else in the top 50 on Defense. Thanks.

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    You're rank 14, as of that photo anyway, that's not a failure.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    Shoretrooper is not needed on that team.

With no synergy to speak of on that team, it makes for an easy target. In fact any team without Chaze, GK probably get targeted more, as you have already pointed out.
  • ilNomad
    236 posts Member
    Options
    I think most people who find themselves in your position (definitely not I) will say that arena offense is easy, but defense is a different story. Especially at that level, I think most people are defeating everyone else. A lot of the top ranks in shards coordinate for the top payouts - perhaps you need to look into that.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

That was a few weeks ago. The best I've done recently was rank 20 last Friday or so. The problem is even though I win 4 or 5 of matches everyday, I'm also losing ground everyday. Like this morning I was knocked to rank 130 from rank 30 yesterday. Right now I have fought my way back up to rank 41, and could likely still break into the teens if I buy more arena games. It's the HUGE drops on defense that makes my Squad a failure.
  • Options
    im having the same problems over here, im running Rex(l) DT DN ShT Palp, i went as far as rank 12, and would be able to hold top 20 sometimes, usually have to climb back from between 30-45, last few days ive been finding myself over 50, yesterday i woke up and found myself at 110.. i have no idea whats going on, but i guess people are catching up, the main issue is probally not have GK or baze ( or chaze even ) which makes most teams target you.. so basicly the solution is getting chaze or gk in your team to stay competitive .. sad but true
  • Options
    im having the same problems over here, im running Rex(l) DT DN ShT Palp, i went as far as rank 12, and would be able to hold top 20 sometimes, usually have to climb back from between 30-45, last few days ive been finding myself over 50, yesterday i woke up and found myself at 110.. i have no idea whats going on, but i guess people are catching up, the main issue is probally not have GK or baze ( or chaze even ) which makes most teams target you.. so basicly the solution is getting chaze or gk in your team to stay competitive .. sad but true

I am only 1 raid from activating GK, but he wouldn't be ready for top 100 arena for awhile.

• Options
    I would agree with the fact that you dont have GK may hurt you currently. Also in looking at your SWGOH account, I would suggest it could also be due to your mods/lack of secondary speed mods. You may want to look at retooling some of your arena characters with the best mods you have, as well as farm for some potential better mods. I think with your team you should be able to crack the top 10...
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://swgoh.gg/u/humblemaverick/

• JRS200x
    105 posts Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing your attempts well before payout which is an issue. You said you got yourself up to rank 30 but by payout were down to 87. When are you completing your attempts by and when is your payout? You ought to be doing your attempts around payout in order to maximize your rank and payout. For instance, my payout is at 6pm EST, I start my original 5 attempts around 4:30 or so and usually end up in the top 10 (though life has gotten hectic lately so I haven't been doing as well).

If your payout is at 6 and you are doing all your attempts by 2 or 3 or something... that is part of the issue.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Your baze and chirrut are closer then you think to being ready.

Reasons people might pick you:
    • your boba may not be fast enough
    • kylo sucks on defense
    • with only 1 cleanse you are an easy target for anyone with a AB or debuff then CD increase faster then you

There mat be other reasons but that's what I see right off the bat, it's hard to judge someone else's shard.

Your team is good but I would probably choose you over another team just because it's more of a guaranteed win.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    A Rex-lead team without Chaze is needing something else to hold on defense. Shoretrooper / GK combo might work well with the crit immunities and sharing taunts (drop Boba in that case, unless Kylo isn't zeta'ed).

Besides annoying Chaze, the other thing you might be looking for is mods. What is the speed of all of your characters? In my shard, I would advocate 200+ speed for Nihilus, 230+ speed for Rex, 185+ speed for Kylo, 240+ speed for Boba Fett. Rex does a lot to make up for lacking speed, but when you start to face other Rex teams or other really good comps, you still need some speed.

What other teams are you facing in the top 20?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Plus this ^^

Don't think that ending your day high is bad. Defense sucks (the AI does at least).

How you finish could also have to do with how you use your attacks, don't spread them out too much, and if you can break into an upper tier consider burning the 50 you will gain and buy a refresh. It's a wash but gives you some attacks after your payout to get a better rank before you go to bed.
  • Options
    Replace shore with r2.
  • Options
    I would agree with the fact that you dont have GK may hurt you currently. Also in looking at your SWGOH account, I would suggest it could also be due to your mods/lack of secondary speed mods. You may want to look at retooling some of your arena characters with the best mods you have, as well as farm for some potential better mods. I think with your team you should be able to crack the top 10...

Yeah these are my best secondary speed mods. I did have my fastest ones on Rex, but I gave them to R2-Z2 and gave him my next fastest ones after Zoba Fett.
  • Options
    Shore troopers crit immunity ruins the rex lead. R2 is a much better AI
  • Options
    JRS200x wrote: »
    It sounds like you are doing your attempts well before payout which is an issue. You said you got yourself up to rank 30 but by payout were down to 87. When are you completing your attempts by and when is your payout? You ought to be doing your attempts around payout in order to maximize your rank and payout. For instance, my payout is at 6pm EST, I start my original 5 attempts around 4:30 or so and usually end up in the top 10 (though life has gotten hectic lately so I haven't been doing as well).

If your payout is at 6 and you are doing all your attempts by 2 or 3 or something... that is part of the issue.

I usually do my 5 arena games in the morning. My payout is at 7pm CST. I agree this probably part of the problem, but losing 100 ranks in less than 24 hours especially to inferior slower teams seems a bit extreme.
  • Options
    This has been my Squad Arena team since 6/12/17

f5k0Ms4.png

Prior to this team I ran a Zaul team that wasn't getting attacked as much, but I couldn't break the top 50. Prior to Zaul I was running a Zader team that could get to the high rank 30s or so, but everyday I was being attacked so much that I would find myself at over rank 100.

Ever since I started running this Rex team I immediately began climbing up the ladder hitting rank 14 just a few weeks ago, and even hitting as low as rank 20 late last week. Originally I was finishing in the top 50 almost everyday at payout, but within the last week or so something has changed. Everyday I win 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 of my arena battles, yet everyday I find my rank going lower and lower.

I keep track of who I beat and who I lose to in arena and how badly I lost or how easily I won. The people in the top 50 mostly haven't changed, in fact looking at my top 20 I've beaten rank 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 19, & 20 recently. In fact, I beat the rank 19 guy yesterday and the day before. So my issue is not my Offense, but something about my team makes me a Super enticing target on defense and evidently easily beaten. Yesterday I won 4 out of 5 matches and got down to rank 30, but by payout I was rank 87. Then I wake up this morning and I'm rank 130!

Today I switched out Shoretrooper for a G11 R2-Z2 I've already won 5 out of 5 matches all the teams I faced I defeated super easily with 4 to 5 toons still alive, but I would have won against these people just as easily or even easier with Shoretrooper. These people over rank 100 or even high 70s & 80s are easy wins for me, they are not close matches like the rank 20 or 30 guys. I don't even know how these people in the plus rank 100 range are even beating me they are so easy. Something is causing me to get attacked and beaten much more than my competition that are still in the top 50 daily. Maybe they are buying extra arena games, but I doubt they are all buying them.

My only thought is even though I can beat most teams running General Kenobi and/or Chaze people choose to attack me because I'm not running them, thus they consider me an easier target. Unfortunately I can't run them because I don't even have GK yet, and my Baze & Chirrut are not ready for top 100 arena yet.

This is my profile https://swgoh.gg/u/robbathehutt/ any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on why I am being attacked so much more than everyone else in the top 50 on Defense. Thanks.

This called a noob rex team. Very easy to beat because not strong at all. Replace shore and boba with chaze and the setup will be a lot better.

• BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    Not a good idea to run Shore with Rex... that crit immunity is slowing down your team.
  • Options
    Instead of ShoreTrooper, you may be better off running B2
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://swgoh.gg/u/humblemaverick/

• Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Not a good idea to run Shore with Rex... that crit immunity is slowing down your team.

Interesting...thank you.
  • Options
    Have you a lot of rex lead in your shard? If your answer is yes, maybe a zader lead will be more efficient. Your Vader are strong, even without zeta.
    Zader, Shore (or sith trooper, if you work on it), Zylo, Palpa and one more, maybe b2... You can improve your results with sinergy.
    What do you think about it guys?

• Options
    Have you a lot of rex lead in your shard? If your answer is yes, maybe a zader lead will be more efficient. Your Vader are strong, even without zeta.
    Zader, Shore (or sith trooper, if you work on it), Zylo, Palpa and one more, maybe b2... You can improve your results with sinergy.
    What do you think about it guys?

Most of my top 20 are either Rex or Wedge leads these days though I think there is 1 Tarkin lead and 1 Nihilus lead as well.

• Platzman
    284 posts Member
    Options
    I would target you too (if I could not just go fastest way up). Simply because you do not have any tank.Stun/AB R2 and I can just pick and kill anyone you want... If you do not add any tank, you can only make R2 lightning fast, faster than anything you face and make Zylo target of that R2 (if R2 targets DN, its bad). But adding GK or chaze would work better..
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Shore troopers crit immunity ruins the rex lead. R2 is a much better AI

Exactly. Especialy with a second zeta on R2 for an extra chance to cleanse.
  • WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    Options
    Chaze will improve your odds of success. Also shore I don't find useful outside of Empire squads.

Also build up your speed secondaries as well. Adding a R2 instead of Boba will help too. Ideally if you ran Rex, DN, R2 and Chaze that will greatly improve your odds of success.