What weaknesses does GK have?

I'm about to unlock GK in about (checks time) 5 hours. I've been saving gear for what feels like a year (but is probably more like a month and a half), so I should be able to get him to gear 8 right off the bat and gear 10 within a week (or so I hope). Of course, that is a lot of gear (and a LOT of carbanti's). Like ... wow. It feels like I could gear up Thrawn and Tarkin to G11 with the same amount of rare gear that the General needs.

Anyway, despite the fact I really (really!) want to make a great Empire team, I'm probably a good six months of farming away from that. And GK can slot in to any team out there, so yeah ... probably going all in on Kenobi.

So question ... does GK have any hard counters, or any characters that shut him down (so I know to avoid them! :)). I'm thinking Thrawn and Zariss, but anybody else? I'm likely going to try out GK in my Rogue One team, replacing R2 for Kenny beside Jyn, Cass, and Chaze. Honestly, that's my only arena viable team right now, beside all FO at G11 / 7*s, but I prefer Rogue One right now because there are still a lot of Zaul on my shard.

But yeah, I imagine Kenobi is viable at 5 stars and (hopefully) gear 10. If not, then I have a zeta with R2's name on it waiting in the wings!

It's actually kind of interesting (for me at least!). I have Jyn, Cassian, and R2 all at gear 10, so I've focused all mods on protection, and rely on expose to do all the damage. Without expose, their hits are ... underwhelming. But I'm thinking now that GK will be there and able to move in beside Baze as a second tank, I might move around my mods to make my R1 team more offensive and less tanky. And because they all start off buffed, I'm thinking GK starting off with LtC will call everybody in to assist and hopefully immediately knock off the protection from someone and make them more vulnerable to a quick expose death.

Anyway, beyond that, any advice about modding GK? Do I go for speed? All in on Protection? Something else?

Any and all advice appreciated. :)

Replies

• Options
    Well...my guild is still far from heroic, so I don't/won't have experience using him. I face him tho, and do pretty well with Zader, unless he is with ZQGJ(about 10%!of the time I see him, still a pretty young shard). My SA ensures that Vader sticks his dots and DN ups his cooldowns. Once that's over, Vader can AB him through forsight. Eventually i just annihilate him. My SA keeps my team churning out 3 to their 2 turns. As long as I can dispel Baze right before annihilate is up...gK goodbye. He hits like a wuss unless under ZQGJ. Haven't fought one of those.
  • banjo1071
    312 posts Member
    Options
    GK offers a lot. Clease, taunt, assist, retribution, foresight, crit immunity and buff. He ist really a great supporting toon. What he is not is a damagedealer. Keep him alive a long as possible, with health and protection (of course speed doesnt hurt, too!).
    Pair him with Zarris, thats some fine combo!
    His weaknesses are
    DN (but then, everyone is) and Thrawn
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Stun shuts him down pretty well.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Stun shuts him down pretty well.

Not if he's in the dreaded triple cleanse. good luck with that.

GK is a great toon, no doubt about it. Most teams have to kill him first because he just keeps retaunting. It's a no brainer to go all in on him. It's debatable whether he'**** good as shore in an empire team but he can still certainly work with empire.

When empire are no longer elite you can still be fairly sure that GK will slot into whatever team becomes elite next.

• Options
    GK is good in any team. Including DN lead. Which is where I use him. And he's viable out the box assuming you get him to g10 minimum. Weakness is shock and does no damage. He needs geared for protection/health/speed.
  • Options
    I'm not very high up in the leader board (mid 100s) but when I do see him if there is a barris, or any other significant cleanser I just avoid at all costs. Otherwise I just do my best to both ability block him and buff immunity him. One or the other isn't good enough, it has to be both.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn is the most effective counter to GK, but before I had Thrawn I would just punch through him, usually, with something like Wiggs or Chirrut.
  • Options
    I kind of have buyers remorse. Like 6 weeks of gear hording and 300+ Carbanti's and GK is now ... gear 8. Stupid stun guns holding me up. Sigh

I kind of wish I had just gone all in on my newbie Empire team, just to mix it up.

Eh, I'm sure once I get him to g10 or 11 and six stars in 5 or so weeks, it'll be worth it. I just wish it wasn't so very, very, very painful to gear up characters.
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nihilus lead is what one needs to counter GK.
  • PiffGuru
    773 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I fight GK teams all the time, I use Zmaul/Zavage/Zylo/DN/EP(Or Vader) and I NEVER use annihilate to kill GK. I almost never see a GK team without Chaze and therefore the annihilate is generally used to kill off Baze, or the enemy DN if I get off annihilate before him, if he gets it off first I wont waste mine on him.

GK is the first I target of course and is easily killed off once you can break through all the foresights and crap he gets on him.. especially with ZGJ leads. Its very rare I lose to a team with these 2 but when it does happen its all down to speed, they have multiple 20 speed secondaries, I do not.

I stay below 20 in arena easily with this team still and my shard is from Nov 2015.

Honestly recently I have bigger issues with maxed out resistance teams or strange combinations with R2 can be a bummer.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Options
    Ability Block and B2....and chaze, cuz op
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    banjo1071 wrote: »
    GK offers a lot. Clease, taunt, assist, retribution, foresight, crit immunity and buff. He ist really a great supporting toon. What he is not is a damagedealer. Keep him alive a long as possible, with health and protection (of course speed doesnt hurt, too!).
    His weaknesses are

If u run him under zQGJ, w/ R2 in a jedi squad, the added offense from zQGJ lead and R2 as well as his damage on basic doubling if everyone is buffed...definitely make him a damage dealer. Mine pulls 12k crits using 3 health sets and a.prot triangle.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    His weaknesses are

If u run him under zQGJ, w/ R2 in a jedi squad, the added offense from zQGJ lead and R2 as well as his damage on basic doubling if everyone is buffed...definitely make him a damage dealer. Mine pulls 12k crits using 3 health sets and a.prot triangle.

GK is many things, but a damage dealer isn't one of them. 12k crits are nothing with how slow he is base. Only real damage he has is his group hug.
  • Mans_Yolo
    171 posts Member
    Options
    He actually yells GK really loud when he calls all his allies to 1 shot your squishy...sometimes it wakes up his mother from her nap. I would consider this a glaring weakness.
  • Hakalugy
    160 posts Member
    Options
    Something is up with his retribution grant. Just fought an arena battle where every toon had retribution, boba did his AOE and nobody countered.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    His weaknesses are

GK is many things, but a damage dealer isn't one of them. 12k crits are nothing with how slow he is base. Only real damage he has is his group hug.

253 speed under zQGJ w/ double damage when buffed and extra offense from zQGJ lead and R2...a real sloth.

He isn't a damage dealer for triple cleanse or Empire, but he certainly is for jedi.
  • Options
    His weaknesses are

253 speed under zQGJ w/ double damage when buffed and extra offense from zQGJ lead and R2...a real sloth.

He isn't a damage dealer for triple cleanse or Empire, but he certainly is for jedi.

He's got 127 base speed, not a sloth but he's still on the slower end. R2 isn't a Jedi, but even with him I never worry about GK as long as he stays AB'd.
  • Options
    Hakalugy wrote: »
    Something is up with his retribution grant. Just fought an arena battle where every toon had retribution, boba did his AOE and nobody countered.

I think you might be right, I've paused sometimes think there should have been some counters.
  • Options
    How do you guys get him i thought you only could get him in heroic AAT and even so you need 330 shards to get him to seven star how do you do it it seems impossible
  • Options
    How do you guys get him i thought you only could get him in heroic AAT and even so you need 330 shards to get him to seven star how do you do it it seems impossible

Be in a guild that does 3 HAATs a week, stay in that guild for 3 months.
  • Suffian
    40 posts Member
    Options
    GK is awesome. First name on my Team Arena. Fit in with any team, Taunt, Critical Hit Immunity, Cleanser, Team Assist While Buff, Retribution, very Good Synergy with clones (use that in GW)
  • Options
    I'm about to unlock GK in about (checks time) 5 hours. I've been saving gear for what feels like a year (but is probably more like a month and a half), so I should be able to get him to gear 8 right off the bat and gear 10 within a week (or so I hope). Of course, that is a lot of gear (and a LOT of carbanti's). Like ... wow. It feels like I could gear up Thrawn and Tarkin to G11 with the same amount of rare gear that the General needs.

Anyway, despite the fact I really (really!) want to make a great Empire team, I'm probably a good six months of farming away from that. And GK can slot in to any team out there, so yeah ... probably going all in on Kenobi.

So question ... does GK have any hard counters, or any characters that shut him down (so I know to avoid them! :)). I'm thinking Thrawn and Zariss, but anybody else? I'm likely going to try out GK in my Rogue One team, replacing R2 for Kenny beside Jyn, Cass, and Chaze. Honestly, that's my only arena viable team right now, beside all FO at G11 / 7*s, but I prefer Rogue One right now because there are still a lot of Zaul on my shard.

But yeah, I imagine Kenobi is viable at 5 stars and (hopefully) gear 10. If not, then I have a zeta with R2's name on it waiting in the wings!

It's actually kind of interesting (for me at least!). I have Jyn, Cassian, and R2 all at gear 10, so I've focused all mods on protection, and rely on expose to do all the damage. Without expose, their hits are ... underwhelming. But I'm thinking now that GK will be there and able to move in beside Baze as a second tank, I might move around my mods to make my R1 team more offensive and less tanky. And because they all start off buffed, I'm thinking GK starting off with LtC will call everybody in to assist and hopefully immediately knock off the protection from someone and make them more vulnerable to a quick expose death.

Anyway, beyond that, any advice about modding GK? Do I go for speed? All in on Protection? Something else?

Any and all advice appreciated. :)

You want a ton of speed mods, and yes, he is very viable at 5* G10, but if you have zR2, then you are pretty much set!
    "There are no Jedi here anymore. Only dreamers like this fool." - Baze Malbus.

https://swgoh.gg/u/limitedu34/
  • Options

Be in a guild that does 3 HAATs a week, stay in that guild for 3 months.

Do you know where I could find one that does this plus I only have 8 7* people so it would be hard to rank top ten to even get any shards much less 145 of them
  • Tarugo91
    294 posts Member
    Options
    if you participate in a haat raid, you get a minimum of 6 shards. 25 raids to unlock.
  • Options
    @Shadeslayer7 Do you earn 600 raid tickets a day/every day? Are you willing to use a 3rd party communication App such as Line or Discord?

If you yes to both of these you can pretty much pick your choice between dozens of HAAT guilds that are constantly recruiting. Check out the "Player Guilds" subforum and contact a few to find a guild with raid times & rules that work for you(I highly recommend making sure the guild has a 0 hit period on Pit, at the very least).

You don't need a full roster of 7*s. You WON'T place top 10, but regardless last place still pays 6 GK shards and better gear drops then you'd get in a non-heroic. Plus you'll raid far more often.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options
    GK has no weaknesses.
  • Options
    @Shadeslayer7 Do you earn 600 raid tickets a day/every day? Are you willing to use a 3rd party communication App such as Line or Discord?

If you yes to both of these you can pretty much pick your choice between dozens of HAAT guilds that are constantly recruiting. Check out the "Player Guilds" subforum and contact a few to find a guild with raid times & rules that work for you(I highly recommend making sure the guild has a 0 hit period on Pit, at the very least).

You don't need a full roster of 7*s. You WON'T place top 10, but regardless last place still pays 6 GK shards and better gear drops then you'd get in a non-heroic. Plus you'll raid far more often.

Thank I'll look in to that but what to you mean by has a 0 hit period on Pit
  • Options
    Like someone else said, only DN and Thrawn. I know a lot of people will argue for stacking speed on him, but that's always a godsend for me. A kenobi with 20k life and 40k protection because he's stacked with speed isn't an issue for my FO team.