SWGOH account integrated with Forum

Prev1
Perhaps this has been discussed before or there is a reason for not doing it, but wouldn't it be better to have your game account connected to your forum name?

I'd be interested in seeing people's guild names, level, and arena rank. This would provide a lot of context to posts and would even provide CG a lot of good data based on trends of who is saying what.

We could take it a step further and integrate at minimum a link from SWGOH.gg (or an official equivalent), but given that's an independent site I can see why not.

Replies

• ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A nice idea, but I don't believe in-game names have a limitation. I think there can be any number of Joe Solos or Bob Skywalkers. They would have to implement new guidelines and it could get messy forcing people to change tags.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    If i'm being honest, i would probably use that info in a less than nice way (as in dismissing people's opinions due to their collection, rank, mods or w/e.) I can only assume i wouldn't be the only one, not sure if that's a good thing.
    Other than that, it could be helpfull for sure. Advice could be more tailored to the situation a player is in so that you don't advice someone to farm baze if he's lvl 76 for example.
    also, no more undercover trolling, not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing. xD
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    If i'm being honest, i would probably use that info in a less than nice way (as in dismissing people's opinions due to their collection, rank, mods or w/e.) I can only assume i wouldn't be the only one, not sure if that's a good thing.
    Other than that, it could be helpfull for sure. Advice could be more tailored to the situation a player is in so that you don't advice someone to farm baze if he's lvl 76 for example.
    also, no more undercover trolling, not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing. xD

Definitely a bad thing haha ;)
  • Options
    As long as they have a unique identifier (player ID), I would just implement an IGN field and allow the forum name to still exist.

Haha, at least you're honest. I would definitely add credibility to posts (or take it away too), but I think it's a good thing.

When you see someone complaining that content is too hard and then you see a level 82 player, rank 300+, you take the comment with a grain of salt or provide constructive advice on how to improve.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One thing that would be nice, is how simple it would be to reach out to a player on your shard.

I have been trying to get in contact with my top 10 for weeks. Only found one so far. Their loss though, I was trying to share payouts, but until I hear back I'm just going to keep taking 1st every day.
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    Just the basics - Player level, Arena Rank, Ship Rank would be sufficient. Doubt this would ever happen though.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »
    One thing that would be nice, is how simple it would be to reach out to a player on your shard.

I have been trying to get in contact with my top 10 for weeks. Only found one so far. Their loss though, I was trying to share payouts, but until I hear back I'm just going to keep taking 1st every day.

tried searching your own IGN?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    Options
    When you see someone complaining that content is too hard and then you see a level 82 player, rank 300+, you take the comment with a grain of salt or provide constructive advice on how to improve.

Why wouldn't a level 82 player that is rank 300+ be allowed to expose his point of view?

People here tend to forget that most of the playerbase isn't in the top 100 of their shard.

They also dismiss people who aren't 85 when in reality, the path to 85 is THE most important experience when it comes to players retention, which is a major aspect of the game.
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Waez wrote: »

Why wouldn't a level 82 player that is rank 300+ be allowed to expose his point of view?

People here tend to forget that most of the playerbase isn't in the top 100 of their shard.

They also dismiss people who aren't 85 when in reality, the path to 85 is THE most important experience when it comes to players retention, which is a major aspect of the game.

I assume this describes you?

They still would have a point of view, but saying content is too hard when they aren't even a max level player doesn't make a lot of sense. There is a lot more credence coming from someone who is level 85 and ranks higher in arena.

Content should be targeted for those at the top and that ultimately lower level players work too.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options

I'm not even going to lie. I may have googled a few players .gg accounts. I have found at least one player who was having trouble with gw who shouldn't have. So my evil machinations have turned out to be positive things in some instances.
    Waez wrote: »

Did you miss the "or provide constructive advice on how to improve" part?

It's one thing for someone to come here and seek guidance. It's another thing for someone to come here and act like an end game player complaining about this and that when they're not even close to the level they claim they are.

This game is hard for up and coming players. It contains a lot of roadblocks, all of which many of us got through with little to no complaint AND with little to no help because we were going through it the same time as our peers.

To come on the forum and pass yourself off as someone on the same level as a lot of others is not cool at all.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

tried searching your own IGN?

Yeah. No luck. Even changed my ingame name to my Discord ID. No luck there either.
  • Options
    People can post their swgoh.gg link if they need credibility.

You won't see a linked game/forum account because if someone complained and then something happened to their account they would infer causality.
  • Rlex
    160 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly you can find players if you really wanted to. But I'd say no to the general idea because of the troll factor that goes on in this forum and how situations are handled by staff. I've also seen things. This just creates more opportunities for "convenient" things to happen. If there's a way to just link level etc and leave out findable personable things then fine.
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't want our IGN to be linked to the forums because I use a game generated IGN and I've already seen someone on here with that name and I wouldn't want to be confused for them. I know I could change my IGN but I like it too much to change it. xD
  • Options
    Id like the forum and account linked as well. Same name.
    I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind, but then again I use this game name everywhere occasionally when some ##%###%#}}! has taken my name I ad -dk in the end
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would like this.

Btw what is your ign @Austin09370
  • Options
    @Mullato I keep mine pretty simple..."Austin"
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    Its why I always have my swgoh.gg profile in my signature. If you want to know what my arena rank is, what team I use, how many 7 star toons or whatever, its all fully available.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options

Oh ok, thought you were a guy on my shard named "TB12" because of your pic.
  • Options
    Mullato wrote: »

Tom Brady is the man so I can't fault them. I have considered incorporating that into a IGN though, lol.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Bhaalor wrote: »
    Its why I always have my swgoh.gg profile in my signature. If you want to know what my arena rank is, what team I use, how many 7 star toons or whatever, its all fully available.

Unfortunately signature doesn't show on mobile.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in seeing people's guild names, level, and arena rank. This would provide a lot of context to posts
    It would just lead to even more trash-tier posting, elitism and general ignorance.

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Bhaalor wrote: »
    Yep, and that option is available to everyone. No need to enforce it on players who don't want it.
  • Osh
    126 posts Member
    Options
    There is also another assumption that is made quite widely on these forums.

Low post count = Inexperienced player.

This also is not always the case.

However, It wouldn't bother me if they changed it to this or not. I've received some great advice on these forums, shared some pretty terrible ideas too with hindsight and have been told as much as well.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Surfing thru 1k+ Mol Eliza would frustrate some ppl.
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Options
    This is a great idea. You'd see what a person's account looks like and that would tell a lot in itself.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I did say that people should not pass themselves off as something they are not. I'll use an example. Let's say there is a a player who has a 45% collection score with so so mods, and only one viable team tries to say GW is impossible and it's impossible for everyone. They refuse to show their roster and they say they've been playing since forever. This player should not be making those claims. This person is still trying to build a roster. This player is at the appropriate level and should not pass themselves off as someone at a much higher level.

Understand?
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Olga wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing people's guild names, level, and arena rank. This would provide a lot of context to posts
    It would just lead to even more trash-tier posting, elitism and general ignorance.

I will admit I tend to be an elitist at times. It shows in my more condescending tone than trash talking or whatnot. I would rather see their .gg account to know who I'm talking to and adjust accordingly than I would to say "git gud". But that's just me.
  • aclbosox
    132 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »

Probably looking for me @Mullato
    ΔCŁBØSØX | Discord: aclbosox#8982