Ewoks or Old Ben/Yoda for Commander Luke Skywalker?

Prev134
Hey guys, I was farming old ben until the faction pass for ewoks, after which I became conflicted about what we would probably need to get luke (my favorite character in Star Wars besides maybe obi-wan, depends on the day honestly). What is everyone else doing? I'm just really frustrated because I want to get luke asap and I don't want to prepare the wrong toons.

Replies

• Antares
    686 posts Member
    Options
    I would say it's weird if we needed ewoks. Luke only met them in the last movie where he already was a Jedi.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Commander Luke is from Hoth. That's long, long before the entrance of Ewoks into Luke's story. They hinted that we'll need characters involved in his story between the beginning of ANH and the escape from the Death Star before the end of ANH; that would be Luke, Obi Wan, STH, Leia, and perhaps R2 or Han Solo, depending on whether they want to gate Commander Luke behind a legendary or raid character, which many people may not have. It's even possible that you might need Jawas, Tuskens, and maybe even Vader/Stormtrooper, but I find that much less likely.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    I'm thinking we will need these new Hoth toons to unlock him. I could be wrong though.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    So we have this series of Luke events going on.

The first was more or less the first part of A New Hope. Jawa, Tuskens, and Luke.

What is likely to be the next one?
    Well, it's either going to be the space portion of EP IV, or it will be EP V.

Now Jawa weren't exactly Luke's allies at any point in A New Hope so whoever is required could merely be standers by rather than Luke's companions. The only assumption I would make is who it wouldn't be: his enemies.

Now Luke was actually rescued in EP V by Lando, Leia, R2, and C3P0,

At the end of EP IV he was fighting in ships with Han, Biggs, Wedge, and R2.

Old Ben died before Luke got rid of his rifle, so I don't see it requiring him.
    Ewoks didn't appear until Return of the Jedi (Jedi Luke, not Rebel Luke), so I don't see it being them.

TLDR; It's not Old Ben or Ewoks, it's some form of Rebels. This is (Rebel) Commander Luke we are going for here. The event to unlock will be an homage to him becoming such.
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    Commander Luke is from Hoth. That's long, long before the entrance of Ewoks into Luke's story. They hinted that we'll need characters involved in his story between the beginning of ANH and the escape from the Death Star before the end of ANH; that would be Luke, Obi Wan, STH, Leia, and perhaps R2 or Han Solo, depending on whether they want to gate Commander Luke behind a legendary or raid character, which many people may not have. It's even possible that you might need Jawas, Tuskens, and maybe even Vader/Stormtrooper, but I find that much less likely.

+1 , I was finding it odd that you would need Ewoks for "Hoth Luke". Hoth Rebel Scout, and Wedge were also both on Hoth.

Perhapes 5star "new luke" is commander luke... 7star is "Jedi Knight Luke" which you would need Ewoks for. It is somewhat Ironic however as Luke never actually fought with the Ewoks.
  • Options
    I have a funny feeling you will need Old Ben. Luke doesn't become a Rebel or a Jedi without him.
  • 7_GSTF
    203 posts Member
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »

The first was more or less the first part of A New Hope. Jawa, Tuskens, and Luke.

Now Jawa weren't exactly Luke's allies at any point in A New Hope so whoever is required could merely be standers by rather than Luke's companions. The only assumption I would make is who it wouldn't be: his enemies.

Ewoks didn't appear until Return of the Jedi (Jedi Luke, not Rebel Luke), so I don't see it being them.

TLDR; It's not Old Ben or Ewoks, it's some form of Rebels. This is (Rebel) Commander Luke we are going for here. The event to unlock will be an homage to him becoming such.

Your assessment is ok... but an important point to be noticed is that whenever the pushed up a faction pass.. that faction was needed for a character next .. empire for r2, phoenix for thrawn .... Why should they depart from this strategy that got them plenty of money by desperate players who were unprepared? I feel that Ewoks will be required for Luke in some form or the other. Also I feel they will ask you to use farm boy luke too.. since the new ewoks aren't going to be free to play for a while...
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    Options
    We will need whatever they announce the day before the event to unlock him, not to worry though they will sell packs for you to pick up those characters...
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »

+1 , I was finding it odd that you would need Ewoks for "Hoth Luke". Hoth Rebel Scout, and Wedge were also both on Hoth.

Perhapes 5star "new luke" is commander luke... 7star is "Jedi Knight Luke" which you would need Ewoks for. It is somewhat Ironic however as Luke never actually fought with the Ewoks.

Meh, I don't really find it ironic. He is basically the one that forced the Ewoks to Ally with them (though the Ewoks would see it as C-3P0 doing so).
  • 7_GSTF
    203 posts Member
    Options
    I may be right or wrong but this is the strategy which CG have been using and I don't expect them to change it.
  • Options
    I don't have r2 or han yet, and my empire squad is a long way away from getting r2 as I haven't been focusing on them at all. Idk this is so freaking frustrating trying to figure out what they're planning on doing. I've wasted 3 cantina refreshes on chirpa then
  • Options
    7_GSTF wrote: »

Your assessment is ok... but an important point to be noticed is that whenever the pushed up a faction pass.. that faction was needed for a character next .. empire for r2, phoenix for thrawn .... Why should they depart from this strategy that got them plenty of money by desperate players who were unprepared? I feel that Ewoks will be required for Luke in some form or the other. Also I feel they will ask you to use farm boy luke too.. since the new ewoks aren't going to be free to play for a while...

There are only 4 ewoks atm, luke completes the squad...something to think about
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    7_GSTF wrote: »

Well, I would disagree with 2 of your points:
    First is that Phoenix got a faction pass before the Thrawn event. They were released onto the board, not reworked.

Second is that this event will be a legendary event. We are going to unlock Luke through Flash Event style events. They said they would release New Lukes only "through something special". Legendary events are nice and all, but there's a lot of those now. Luke will get something different.

The first Luke event was a flash event and they said it was the first in a "series of events" to unlock new iterations of him. It's going to be a flash event style thing. The way to 7 star him is going to be by logging in often enough to get all the shards you can. Then there will be packs before he ends up getting added to territory battles.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For the record: I do think Ewoks will be required for Return of the Jedi Luke, but we won't see him this month. They're redoing the Ewoks this month to give them plenty of time to forge that event around the new ewok models.

They redid the Ewoks right now because the R2D2 and Wicket character screens got leaked at the same time so they needed to come out relatively close together.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »
    I'm thinking we will need these new Hoth toons to unlock him. I could be wrong though.
    Again, the hint they gave us was that this hero's journey encompassed the time from "Tatooine through his daring escape from the Galactic Empire’s ultimate weapon." So unless their hint is way off the mark, that about 3/4 of ANH only. It shouldn't include the actual Death Star space battle, let alone anything at all from ESB.
    Now, it's entirely possible that their hint is wrong, but in the absence of that, you're talking Luke, Jawas, R2, Tuskens, Obi-Wan, Stormtroopers, Han Solo, Greedo, TFP, Vader, Tarkin, STH, and Leia as characters that were involved in that timeframe.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Again, the hint they gave us was that this hero's journey encompassed the time from "Tatooine through his daring escape from the Galactic Empire’s ultimate weapon." So unless their hint is way off the mark, that about 3/4 of ANH only. It shouldn't include the actual Death Star space battle, let alone anything at all from ESB.
    Now, it's entirely possible that their hint is wrong, but in the absence of that, you're talking Luke, Jawas, R2, Tuskens, Obi-Wan, Stormtroopers, Han Solo, Greedo, TFP, Vader, Tarkin, STH, and Leia as characters that were involved in that timeframe.

I thought that time frame was for the first flash event not all of them. Like that event covered the whole time frame you are talking about.

He became a commander after destroying the Death Star... which just so happens to be the very first thing after the time frame you mentioned that was alll covered by the last flash event.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

I thought that time frame was for the first flash event not all of them. Like that event covered the whole time frame you are talking about.

He became a commander after destroying the Death Star... which just so happens to be the very first thing after the time frame you mentioned that was alll covered by the last flash event.
    Sure, if it weren't for the hint I would suggest everything up to and including the Hoth Battle. But here's the text of the hint, you tell me what you think it means:

"HERO’S JOURNEY - LUKE SKYWALKER
    Step into Luke Skywalker’s shoes and experience his journey from Farm Boy to Rebel Hero!
    This is the first event of a new series where you’ll retrace the steps of the iconic hero LUKE SKYWALKER from his humble beginnings on Tatooine through his daring escape from the Galactic Empire’s ultimate weapon.
    Completing this event will unlock the next iteration of Luke Skywalker: COMMANDER LUKE SKYWALKER."
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Regardless, Luke, Obi-Wan, STH, and Leia are the most obvious first targets to farm. If you include the end of ANH and the beginning of ESB, in addition to all the secondary and enemy characters I've previously mentioned, you'd have to include Wedge and Biggs, HRSo and HRSc, Snowtrooper, Veers... even theoretically the new Hoth Han and Hoth Leia.
    That lengthened list of characters to farm is a bit untenable.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sure, if it weren't for the hint I would suggest everything up to and including the Hoth Battle. But here's the text of the hint, you tell me what you think it means:

Step into Luke Skywalker’s shoes and experience his journey from Farm Boy to Rebel Hero!
    This is the first event of a new series where you’ll retrace the steps of the iconic hero LUKE SKYWALKER from his humble beginnings on Tatooine through his daring escape from the Galactic Empire’s ultimate weapon.
    Completing this event will unlock the next iteration of Luke Skywalker: COMMANDER LUKE SKYWALKER."

The majority of that was copy/pasted from the first Luke flash event. The only thing that is new is the part I bolded.

That's actually kind of obvious if you think about it. This isn't the first event... it's the second.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

The majority of that was copy/pasted from the first Luke flash event. The only thing that is new is the part I bolded.

That's actually kind of obvious if you think about it. This isn't the first event... it's the second.
    I think you're seeing what you want to see. I think that their intent was to say that "completing this series of events will unlock" CLS.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Regardless, Luke, Obi-Wan, STH, and Leia are the most obvious first targets to farm. If you include the end of ANH and the beginning of ESB, in addition to all the secondary and enemy characters I've previously mentioned, you'd have to include Wedge and Biggs, HRSo and HRSc, Snowtrooper, Veers... even theoretically the new Hoth Han and Hoth Leia.
    It's not too bad. Just realize you can pretty much ignore anybody from before the Death Star battle and it should be good.

They really should have written a whole new description for this event so it wasn't misleading people like this.
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options
    GL with the Hoth Rebel Soldier Grind...I need 1 more shard!
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

Actually, that was copy/pasted from the most recent announcement a few days ago. The initial announcement for the very first Luke flash event was:
    "You’ve all been waiting and it’s finally begun. It’s time to prepare for the Hero's Journey! Use these gifts to help Luke prepare for his Hero's Journey as he embarks on the path to become a member of the forgotten Jedi Order.
    Where is this journey leading? And what’s in store? We’ll find out more in August."
    You can see that the Tatooine -> escape from Death Star is only stated right at the time that they talk about unlocking CLS.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    It's not too bad. Just realize you can pretty much ignore anybody from before the Death Star battle and it should be good.
    Wait, what? How on earth do you think that his hero's journey ignores 3/4 of the time before he becomes CLS?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options

Actually, that was copy/pasted from the most recent announcement a few days ago. The initial announcement for the very first Luke flash event was:
    "You’ve all been waiting and it’s finally begun. It’s time to prepare for the Hero's Journey! Use these gifts to help Luke prepare for his Hero's Journey as he embarks on the path to become a member of the forgotten Jedi Order.
    Where is this journey leading? And what’s in store? We’ll find out more in August."
    You can see that the Tatooine -> escape from Death Star is only stated right at the time that they talk about unlocking CLS.

No, the current description was copy/pasted from the first Luke flash event. What you just showed there was the letter that came with our free gift of Luke Shards, gear, etc.

Again, this should be obvious since this is the 2nd event, and the description says the 1st event covers from the start of a new hope until the escape from the death star...

Okay, well that event is already over. So this second event must come from afterwards. The time frame we are looking at is the tail end of A New Hope, and some/all of ESB. Maybe they'll even skip ahead to use Ewoks for RoTJ. but I hope that ESB and RotJ each have their own iteration of Luke.
  • Options
    I wonder will his X-Wing be involved?
  • Options
    We need to stop assuming that this version is coming from Hoth for two reasons

1. In the comics (set between ANH and ESB) Luke is referred to as commander Luke Skywalker, whilst wearing his yellow jacket costume from the end of ANH
    2. Why are they called 'Hoth Han' and 'Hoth Leia' but not 'Hoth Luke'?

If this is really being dragged out, which I think it is, there is a log period of time before ESB which is unaccounted for in the films, so expect the unexpected.

In regard to farming, I've got Luke level 85 7 stars and enough gear sitting around to get him to 10 if needed. From the original heroes journey post, it seems pretty clear that he will be needed, but as for who with? I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Luke required, but farming those relevant to him in the films would probably be the best idea. That being said, the timing of the ewoks is very suspicious...
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    No, the current description was copy/pasted from the first Luke flash event.
    No, actually, it wasn't. Here's the announcement of the first flash event:
    "NEW! Trouble on Tatooine Flash Event
    Our first Flash Event Begins MAY 25th and takes you to the harsh desert planet of Tatooine. This lawless world holds many dangers and mysteries, especially for moisture farmers. To participate in this multi-tiered event, task Luke Skywalker with inspecting the perimeter of the farm as you join forces with Jawas to square off against marauding Tusken Raiders."
    And the actual text of the event was:
    "Tatooine holds many dangers and mysteries. Check the perimeter of the farm and surrounding regions with LUKE SKYWALKER and ensure everything is safe."
    Again, this should be obvious since this is the 2nd event, and the description says the 1st event covers from the start of a new hope until the escape from the death star...
    Lol, no. The first event is basically a prequel to the events of ANH, it didn't even get us to Obi-Wan, let alone off Tatooine and onto the Death Star. It's more than obvious that the Trouble on Tatooine event was basically a test of the flash event system, and that the real hero's journey has yet to begin. In that sense, we still haven't had the real first event of the series.
    Okay, well that event is already over. So this second event must come from afterwards. The time frame we are looking at is the tail end of A New Hope, and some/all of ESB. Maybe they'll even skip ahead to use Ewoks for RoTJ. but I hope that ESB and RotJ each have their own iteration of Luke.
    And now you're just being ridiculous. Commander Luke is ESB Luke. There's no way that they'd use Ewoks from RotJ to unlock ESB Luke.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    2. Why are they called 'Hoth Han' and 'Hoth Leia' but not 'Hoth Luke'?
    I wouldn't necessarily expect the names to stay as "Hoth Han" and "Hoth Leia" when they're finally released. Han, for example, is Captain Solo at that point, though Leia is theoretically just an ex-Senator with no particular military rank, but operating as a political leader of the Rebellion.
  • Options
    If it's characters from Episode 4 I would go Farmboy Luke, Stormtrooper Han, Princess Leia, Wedge and Biggs as they are all characters a lot of the player base will have. If a 6th character is required as we are given a Luke to use during the event I would go Old Ben.

This discussion has been closed.