Is a second tank needed?

Hello,

I'm currently in top 5 on my arena shard, but am really starting to have a hard time with some Thrawn teams in my shard.

My two arena worthy teams are...

Rex lead, Chaze, DN, and Zylo
Wedge lead, Biggs, R2, and Chase

I currently have Thrawn only at 5* and am working on gearing him up. I'm not sure if he would be viable at 5*, but preparing for future comps I'm farming Death Trooper as well.

The primary question I have is I see Thrawn teams thrive behind two taunters, most commonly GK and Shoretropper. Is there another taunter that would be the "poor man's" substitute for GK?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Options
    https://swgoh.gg/u/reefraider/

Here is my profile! :)
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn is viable at 5* once he's geared. The "poor man's" substitute for GK in that team is typically zzR2. Stuns on Basic, and cleanse on crit is very good for Chaze as they counter attack.

What exactly are the Thrawn teams you're having trouble with? And how do you mods relate?
  • Options
    zChewie
  • Options
    You don't need a second taunt at all - but decent speed on your mods helps a lot with Thrawn. I run Thrawn lead with Shore, zVeers, DT, and DN and it wipes everything no problem. Does solid on D also.

If no zVeers, than DK / TP / Tarkin / TFP can all do pretty well there. Probably Tarkin is the best of that bunch generally.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Thrawn is viable at 5* once he's geared. The "poor man's" substitute for GK in that team is typically zzR2. Stuns on Basic, and cleanse on crit is very good for Chaze as they counter attack.

What exactly are the Thrawn teams you're having trouble with? And how do you mods relate?

Thrawn lead, GK, DN, Shoretrooper, R2

Between the smoke screen and taunting between GK and Shoretrooper in addition to one of my toons being fractured and rendered useless the opponent's DN goes crazy. I'm not sure either of my current arena worthy teams can either overcome the loss of toon due to fracture (usually Baze) of dispell fast enough to get to DN regardless of my mods.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Thrawn lead, GK, DN, Shoretrooper, R2

Between the smoke screen and taunting between GK and Shoretrooper in addition to one of my toons being fractured and rendered useless the opponent's DN goes crazy. I'm not sure either of my current arena worthy teams can either overcome the loss of toon due to fracture (usually Baze) of dispell fast enough to get to DN regardless of my mods.

What is the turn order of their team? Having your Nihilus go before their Thrawn could be crucial to ensuring that he doesn't get Fracture off immediately.

Faster mods could help, but if you don't think you're going to be able to get past the taunts you might want to just work on gearing up a Thrawn of your own.

Another option is Deathtrooper under a Tarkin lead or potentially a Thrawn lead. Deathtrooper will also be able to stop thrawn from using Fracture immediately.

Theres also Boba. AOE ability block, is great, just need to make him faster than their thrawn and R2. Have him target Thrawn and ability block for 2 turns to keep the fracture at bay. Thrawn lead will give TM to Thrawn and Shore when they get ability blocked so no chance of GK cleansing the ability block before Thrawn goes even if GK isn't ability blocked.
  • Reef_Raider
    77 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah; as I mentioned in the first post I'm currently gearing up my Thrawn and starting the long Catina farm on DT.

I don't think I'll be able to mod anything to match as his Thrawn is running speed of 267, R2 is at 264, and DN is 226. I just don't have that kind of speed! LOL
  • Options
    Yeah; as I mentioned in the first post I'm currently gearing up my Thrawn and starting the long Catina farm on DT.

I don't think I'll be able to mod anything to match as his Thrawn is running speed of 267, R2 is at 264, and DN is 226. I just don't have that kind of speed! LOL

Might be good to invest more in mods for your Rex / Chaze team - building Empire takes a good while. A mod upgrade from a week or so of farming can make a notable difference.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Consider this....if you do not have GK... thrawn heals almost half protection with his cleanse & gives a free turn. Thrawn/jyn/dt/dn & 5th of your choice... (probably a taunt or variation like r2) you can fastrack your nihlus's annihilate w 2 free turns from thrawn/jyn which will make your nihlus definitely go b4 enemy. Then deathmark the remaining big threat. And you still have thrawns fracture to deal with gk or whoever.

It has been workin pretty well in my shard (jan 16') but as expected on defense AI cant figure out to give the free turns to nihlus IMMEDIATELY.
  • Options
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Consider this....if you do not have GK... thrawn heals almost half protection with his cleanse & gives a free turn. Thrawn/jyn/dt/dn & 5th of your choice... (probably a taunt or variation like r2) you can fastrack your nihlus's annihilate w 2 free turns from thrawn/jyn which will make your nihlus definitely go b4 enemy. Then deathmark the remaining big threat. And you still have thrawns fracture to deal with gk or whoever.

It has been workin pretty well in my shard (jan 16') but as expected on defense AI cant figure out to give the free turns to nihlus IMMEDIATELY.

This is a really interesting idea that I hadn't thought of...the question I have would be how to mod them properly for turn order. Ideally, I would assume you want high speed on Thrawn, DN, and Jyn (and possibly R2). How would you prioritize speed with that comp?