Mechanics that We dont like

Prev1
bolobaby
275 posts Member
edited July 2017
This post is dedicated to GAME MECHANICS and AI CHOICES that are bull - not "I hate Ch.aze - that combo is bull," or similar "XYZ ability is OP."

Let's make a list. I'll throw some out to get us started:

* Counter attack against a multi-attacker like Boba or Ezra should generate ONE counter attack. The multi-attack is THEIR ability, NOT the counter attacker. Why should they get multiples?

* Boba reviving with Daka in the squad and taking Daka's inferior revive over his own, much better, revive

* A character who is stunned with DOTs who has revive should NOT revive when the DOTs kill them AND get a turn as if they never had stun prior to the revive

* I'm on the fence on this one, but I've always thought stunned characters should not be able to auto-taunt

* Forced death. A toon has to take its turn against another that will counter attack it and definitely kill it. All toons should be able to skip a turn instead

* Toons with buff immunity should not attempt abilities that grant them a buff. What is the point of Yoda doing Battle Medidation when he has buff immunity? Or Leia trying to stealth? Or Han taunting?

* Asajj should not attempt Strike Fear when she is not damaged and the enemy has no buffs

* Chewie should not use Wookiee Rage with Ackbar's Tactical Genius to taunt for, effectively, ZERO turns

And your own in the comments below!

Replies

• UltimateZeus
    1221 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Arena Payouts / Sniping / Clock Blocking
  • Options
    Stunned stealth characters; if a character is stunned by an attack, any stealth buff should be lost so the target can be assaulted, not so it is stunned but hidden away from attack by stealth; essentially a waste of stun
  • Options
    When R2 stealths everyone and they lose all their debuffs. Things like Deathmark and ability block should still be in effect while the characters stealthed. Even if you can't directly attack a stealthed deathmarked enemy the bonus damage should still be applicable with aoes.
  • Options
    When R2 stealths everyone and they lose all their debuffs. Things like Deathmark and ability block should still be in effect while the characters stealthed. Even if you can't directly attack a stealthed deathmarked enemy the bonus damage should still be applicable with aoes.

I didn't realise R2 cleansed with his team stealth ://// wow
  • Options
    Killing a toons with near full tm and having them revived with the same amount of tm when they return
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Jonais
    68 posts Member
    Options
    About half of the original posters stuff is all "Fix the AI" which I agree with, but sometimes there are points to doing some of the stuff that you say you shouldn't be able to do... I've often used my ShoreT's taunt when he's buff blocked or heal blocked because it provides bonuses to the rest of the party.
  • Options
    Add "nerf chaze cuz they are OP" to the list
  • Options
    Heal over time and Damage over time effects stacking repeatedly rather than just stacking duration.
  • Sentia
    280 posts Member
    Options

Deathmark is removed by Stealthing. This happens in Phase 1 of the Rancor raid and is part of why Teebo is such an effective leader for that phase. The reason for this is that Deathmark is sort of like a Taunt, if you Deathmark an enemy your characters can not attack a different target, the must attack the target with Deathmark, try it in phase 1 of the AAT when GG spawns the B2 again you cant switch targets to it till Deathmark wears off.

Ability block and other debuffs should not be removed by stealth.
  • Iyaoyas
    120 posts Member
    Options
    Jay_1997_C wrote: »
    Stunned stealth characters; if a character is stunned by an attack, any stealth buff should be lost so the target can be assaulted, not so it is stunned but hidden away from attack by stealth; essentially a waste of stun
    Always annoyed me that stealth toons get to keep their stealth thru stuns. +1
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed with most of the other comments and most of yours... but not these:
    bolobaby wrote: »
    * Counter attack against a multi-attacker like Boba or Ezra should generate ONE counter attack. The multi-attack is THEIR ability, NOT the counter attacker. Why should they get multiples? (because they were attacked twice)

* Forced death. A toon has to take its turn against another that will counter attack it and definitely kill it. All toons should be able to skip a turn instead

I've actually been annoyed the other direction for that first one. When QGJ calls an ally (or Ezra or Chaze's assist etc) against a toon with counter ability, they only get one counter for the two attacks. I get that two separate toons are attacking... they both should get countered imo.

Disagree on forced death too... It's a sacrifice play. Laying down their life so another may live. Ok, took that too far, but stand by the point.

I'll add one as well...
    Thinking R2 and Zaul teams here.... It bugs me when there are stealthed toons that attack a toon with counter, and then there is no counter to the unstealthed toon. Especially when that toon has taunt. That unstealthed toon (especially when taunting) should get the counter.
  • Options
    Why does tenacity down mean the effect can still be resisted (15% base chance) yet tenacity up means all effects are resisted.

Either make tenacity down mean nothing is resisted (please no) or make tenacity up have a base 15% chance effects are still applied (yes please)

I'd also like to see a "cancelling out" of abilities. Say for example Rex hits his cleanse/tenacity up ability (with 15% chance still hit with negative effect) and I use TFP and the tenacity down basic and tenacity down lands. Rather than both being there all that happens is the tenacity up is negated and therefore just dispelled.

Or to go even deeper into it. Say tenacity up is up for 3 turns and the tenacity down is applied for 2 turns then tenacity up remains for just 1 turn rather than the 3

If tenacity up has 1 turn left on your opponent and you hit tenacity down for 2 turns. The tenacity up is dispelled and tenacity down is applied for 1turn.

Those ideas would make arena far more diverse. Then when cg/ea get this up and running they can release op pay only toons who have an ability to stop it happening. When release to ftp it will be on a new special 75 cantina energy per battle node only. Oh with a 0.25% drop rate.
  • Rogee
    178 posts Member
    Options
    Muaddib wrote: »

I'll add one as well...
    Thinking R2 and Zaul teams here.... It bugs me when there are stealthed toons that attack a toon with counter, and then there is no counter to the unstealthed toon. Especially when that toon has taunt. That unstealthed toon (especially when taunting) should get the counter.

Are you referring to Squad1: Stealth Team vs Squad2: No Stealth Tanks?

Squad1 R2 stealths all but the tank
    Squad1 now stealthed attacker attacks Savage on Squad2
    Squad2 Savage, "Hey! Who hit me?!" then shrugs it off, because he didn't 'see' the attacker
    or
    Squad2 Savage,"Hey! Someone in Squad1 hit me! But I can only see STHan over there, I'll hit him even though I didn't see him hit me... I just need to hit something, because I'm a **** Sith. And I smash things!"
    or
    Squad2 Savage exclaims, "Hey! Someone hit me!" He then purses his lips, squints and looks around slowly... listening intently for movement from his unseen attacker. Then is startled when Maul bursts into laughter.
    Squad2 Maul, "It was ME you dumb nerf!"

• Options
    Muaddib wrote: »
    Agreed with most of the other comments and most of yours... but not these:
    * Counter attack against a multi-attacker like Boba or Ezra should generate ONE counter attack. The multi-attack is THEIR ability, NOT the counter attacker. Why should they get multiples? (because they were attacked twice)

I've actually been annoyed the other direction for that first one. When QGJ calls an ally (or Ezra or Chaze's assist etc) against a toon with counter ability, they only get one counter for the two attacks. I get that two separate toons are attacking... they both should get countered imo.

Disagree on forced death too... It's a sacrifice play. Laying down their life so another may live. Ok, took that too far, but stand by the point.

I'll add one as well...

Well the counter mechanic was like that previously.
    And it wasnt fun going against Dookou with geonosian solider.
    Dookou countered 3-4 times (killed geo solider) then he had full tm and preformed another attack.
    I didnt like it.
    And i bet you wouldnt like it either
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Vader throwing Culling blade against a toon with no debuffs (side note: this should have a do not revive on it)
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    This post is dedicated to GAME MECHANICS and AI CHOICES that are bull - not "I hate Ch.aze - that combo is bull," or similar "XYZ ability is OP."

* Counter attack against a multi-attacker like Boba or Ezra should generate ONE counter attack. The multi-attack is THEIR ability, NOT the counter attacker. Why should they get multiples?

* Boba reviving with Daka in the squad and taking Daka's inferior revive over his own, much better, revive

* A character who is stunned with DOTs who has revive should NOT revive when the DOTs kill them AND get a turn as if they never had stun prior to the revive

* I'm on the fence on this one, but I've always thought stunned characters should not be able to auto-taunt

* Toons with buff immunity should not attempt abilities that grant them a buff. What is the point of Yoda doing Battle Medidation when he has buff immunity? Or Leia trying to stealth? Or Han taunting?

* Asajj should not attempt Strike Fear when she is not damaged and the enemy has no buffs

* Chewie should not use Wookiee Rage with Ackbar's Tactical Genius to taunt for, effectively, ZERO turns

Counter attacks would be useless if they didn't retaliate every time they got hit..

I like the bit about the buff immunity though. I know you saw that debuff you (insert lizard brain insult here) STHan!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

Counter attacks would be useless if they didn't retaliate every time they got hit..

I like the bit about the buff immunity though. I know you saw that debuff you (insert lizard brain insult here) STHan!

But he is pointing out "single action" multi attacks. double attacks like 5s with speed down or dooku doubles would be different.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

But he is pointing out "single action" multi attacks. double attacks like 5s with speed down or dooku doubles would be different.

I see. I would be okay with changing the animation to include all attacks in closer proximity. For instance, Dooku just runs up and jabs you five times instead of running laps. But their utility is in their kit. No need to nerf Ezra, Fives or Dooku at the moment.
  • bolobaby
    275 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I see. I would be okay with changing the animation to include all attacks in closer proximity. For instance, Dooku just runs up and jabs you five times instead of running laps. But their utility is in their kit. No need to nerf Ezra, Fives or Dooku at the moment.

I think you miss the point on this one...

Counter is a nice ability. If someone attacks you, you get to counter with your basic. If your basic allows you to attack twice, then you should counter twice - that's YOUR special ability.

What I find noisome is that toons who do not have the ability to attack twice are granted it because another toon has a basic that attacks twice. Multi-hit should be a benefit to the toon who has it. It should not carry over and be a benefit to a toon that does NOT have it.

Look at it this way: multi-hit is a function of speed, agility, and skill in battle, conceptually. So if Cad Bane is a "fast gunslinger" who can take two shots in the time it normally takes another person to take one, why does someone get to counter with two shots? They should counter at their normal rate. Getting attacked should not suddenly grant them an ability (multi-attack) that they don't have via their *already potent* counter ability.
  • bolobaby
    275 posts Member
    Options
    BTW - mods, the title of the thread was not "We don't like." It was "bull."

Get out your dictionary. Bull means "nonsense." It is not a vulgar term. So, changing the title is complete bull.

200.gif
  • bolobaby
    275 posts Member
    Options
    Here's another:

I don't think Barriss's Invigorating Strike should heal on a miss. It's Invigorating *Strike* not Invigorating *Whiff*.
  • Nesh
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Here's another:

I don't think Barriss's Invigorating Strike should heal on a miss. It's Invigorating *Strike* not Invigorating *Whiff*.

Agreed, ahsoka does the same thing and often saves my jedi when it shouldn't.

As for counter chance it's not very clear in description as to what it should mean. It doesn't state when hit or when attacked but instead acts as one or the other, this inconsistency should be rectified.

But IMO if you counter both hits of a double tap you should counter all attackers in assists. That would be extremely OP though, imagine sending all your ewoks against dooku and ALL getting double tapped back. Would run the clock down for ages if nothing else.

As it is we have a mix of countering on hit (double tappers attacking. ie boba/cad bane) and counter on attack( assists. ie QGJ GS etc.)

Counter chance should be against enemy attack double tap should not be penalised and should fall under the same rules as assist as a valid means to do more damage for less counter.
  • Osh
    126 posts Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is again, regarding stuns. Toons that are stunned should have their dodge chance removed. Nothing more frustrating than missing a stunned target cause while they were frozen they somehow managed to move out the way...
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Options
    Refreshing arena matches RNG is stupid.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Osh wrote: »
    The only thing that bugs me is again, regarding stuns. Toons that are stunned should have their dodge chance removed. Nothing more frustrating than missing a stunned target cause while they were frozen they somehow managed to move out the way...

Never seen that. When one of my Jedi is stunned and gain foresight, this toon is hit even with foresight. So it should be the same with dodge.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Options
    There's other inconsistent interactions:
    Crit immunity trumps advantage: this is fine.
    Foresight trumps burning: why? Shouldn't this work in the same way? Crit immunity prevents you from being crit. Advantage forces a crit and is consumed. Burning prevents evasion. Foresight forces evasion and is consumed. Burning should nullify foresight (in the same way that stun does).
  • Matke
    56 posts Member
    Options
    One of the best threads for some time now.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    The most horrible and OP mechanic in this game is RNG.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    Options
    When you don't use an ability because you think Rex will cleanse and Tenacity up on his first turn but then when it comes to his turn he just uses basic attack.....

When you are using Rex and you Tenacity up first turn expecting Vader, Maul etc... to use abilities/specials but then they just use there basics....
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    Options
    Health regain on every turn.
    Like, not even the character's turn, not even allies' turn.

Every. Single. Turn.

Why?