Forrest Moon Assault Battles Difficulty

Prev13
Is anyone else having a hard time completing tier 1?

The recommended levels for completion are level 75+, gear level 8+, and Empire or droid characters.

My team consists of GMT, EP, DV, IG88, and RG. All omeged abilities, level 85, and gear level 8-9.

I can make it to stage 4, where the ewok elders just continually revive deathmarked scouts.

I'm not making any progress, and I feel like the event isn't advertised correctly for what you actually need to complete the "basic" (tier 1) challenge.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I'm excited for the new Ewoks, just wish I could complete this challenge...

Replies

• Options
    It's hard to give any tips when we don't know what you have on your roster available. Snowtrooper is a maniac in this event with AOE reset and TM gain on deaths.
  • Options
    I agree. My squad is nearly identic, except I have k2so instead gmt. My droids don't have enough HP to survive more than 2 hits, and my Empire toons can't output enough damage. Vader, especially.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You need insane speed to prevent them from taking turns. To that end, use HK as your leader and throw in anyone that's a droid. One AoE should be sufficient to kill all the powered up Ewoks. Save any Elders for last, except in round 4.

Round 4, AoE everyone, focus on one Elder. If you can stun or ability block the Elder you aren't focusing, awesome. If not, just keep focusing and play Whack-an-Ewok as they start ressing. The most frustrating part will be if an Elder resses another Elder...

I finished all three tiers with HK, IG-88, IG-86, General Greivous, and Darth Vader. Vader was in there more for Culling Blade and his ability block than for his AoE (though it can be useful for clearing out ressed Ewoks).

EDIT: Round 8, clear the powered-up Ewoks with an AoE, focus on the Elder, Whack-an-Ewok anything that gets ressed, take out Chirpa once the Elder is dead. On Tiers 2 and 3 make sure to have an AoE available for when you kill the Elder, as that will res all the other Ewoks. If the last fight is close, use the Event Ability when Chirpa has Retribution up so you don't have to put up with any of that noise.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the only droids I have leveled up enough are ig88 and k2so.
  • tower72
    28 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Same...I cant even complete tier 1 or 2 yet before I have them 3 starred. What I cant get is, if I have a squad in any battle, if I have no turn meter, I cant do much but sit there and get hit until my meter builds up. I have noticed that these furry **** can revive and attack, with no turn meter

From a business standpoint it makes sense. Why give away free shards to the ewoks , when they can make people buy them from the store. Throw the player base a bone and at least make it available to try, but kick up the difficulty to the point where a large portion of people will have problems. Guess its a way to weed out the f2p and the whales lol
  • Phil242
    23 posts Member
    Options
    Zader sht tfp Snow rg, gg ez all tiers
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    imo EP is a better lead than zVader for this event.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Use imperial troopers... I made tier 3 with level 8/9 characters and veers (gear 10)
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Darek
    38 posts Member
    Options
    I have 3*ed bonus tier with team : EP leader, Thrawn, Krennic, Death Trooper, Tie Pilot. The key for this battle is AOE and neutralize Ewok Elders. Shoretrooper is not good if you want get 3* always dies at some point. My toons arent maxed mix of 9-10 gear and Thrawn only 5*
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    tower72 wrote: »
    Same...I cant even complete tier 1 or 2 yet before I have them 3 starred. What I cant get is, if I have a squad in any battle, if I have no turn meter, I cant do much but sit there and get hit until my meter builds up. I have noticed that these furry **** can revive and attack, with no turn meter
    Ewok Elder exists in the game now, go read the description on one of its two resses (I forget which). It causes the ressed Ewok to attack.
    From a business standpoint it makes sense. Why give away free shards to the ewoks , when they can make people buy them from the store. Throw the player base a bone and at least make it available to try, but kick up the difficulty to the point where a large portion of people will have problems. Guess its a way to weed out the f2p and the whales lol
    This event has been in the game for a year now (First run was 4 July--which is coincidentally when my car broke down in the middle of bumblefudge nowhere and I spent the night at a Best Western using their wifi to beat it, so I'll always remember :P ) and it's been run multiple times in that period, so there are tons of threads about it already. All of them saying "This is so hard!" then full of people saying "Only if you don't have so-and-so, use them instead" then FURTHER full of people saying "Yeah, but I don't have them, they should really tailor these events to characters already on my roster, which, incidentally, are always only the characters that the forums say are the meta characters because I'm incapable of making decisions for myself." I'm paraphrasing, but that's the substance of it.

Look, when it first came out I was free to play and could beat the first tier after several tries to get the right team composition. I couldn't do the 2nd tier because my HK wasn't anywhere near strong enough--but, not the leastbit co-incidentally, that was the day I realized how good it was and invested heavily in it. When it came around a second time I was able to steamroll through both tiers. Third time around they added that third tier (it's now the 4th time, I believe) and I was able to do that.

Long story short: It's totally possible for a freeplayer to beat this event.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Gotta be reading people complaining about Forest Moon Assault being too hard. For sure it's that.

This is either the fourth or fifth time the event has been run and it never fails that there will be a half-dozen threads about its difficulty. Just do a google search for event strategy and find all the replies that tell you what to do:
    --Use droids.
    --Use AoE against boosted Ewoks.
    --Stun or Abillity Block elite Elders.

The crux of the problem seems to boil down to the Use Droids part because people don't have droids right now. The deeper issue that folks need to realize is that literally every event is designed to get you to use every part of your roster. Tournaments, when they were first released, were intended to reward people with deep rosters--it didn't work out that way, but that's the danger of designer intent versus player implementation. Literally everything in this game since the first tournaments has been to promote the use of what people write off as "garbage-a$$ non-meta trash-toons."

They don't WANT a game where people just mindlessly farm characters off a set list in descending order. That gets real boring real fast. They want you to make decisions and get characters that you like for whatever reason (Remember that dude who posted his Imperial Trooper team beating up Forest Moon last time around? Which, not to put too fine a line on it, was well before Veers and the Troopers got their redesign.). So if people are ignoring an entire faction because it doesn't seem good enough for Arena, they'll make it good somewhere else. Whether that's a raid (Clones, Teebo, Jedi, etc) or an event (Droids, Resistance, Scoundrels, etc) every character is useful somewhere.

Alright, maybe not CUP.
  • Ambassador
    1653 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    This event has been in the game for a year now (First run was 4 July--which is coincidentally when my car broke down in the middle of bumblefudge nowhere and I spent the night at a Best Western using their wifi to beat it, so I'll always remember :P ) and it's been run multiple times in that period, so there are tons of threads about it already. All of them saying "This is so hard!" then full of people saying "Only if you don't have so-and-so, use them instead" then FURTHER full of people saying "Yeah, but I don't have them, they should really tailor these events to characters already on my roster, which, incidentally, are always only the characters that the forums say are the meta characters because I'm incapable of making decisions for myself." I'm paraphrasing, but that's the substance of it.
    Best summary I've read. :smile:
  • Options
    You know what you're talking about and I like how you aren't focused on arena like every other player on forums
  • Xyrex
    47 posts Member
    Options
    Ambassador, I have a better summary, read.

NicWester when you did this event that night in the Best Western it was sooooo much easier. Same to Ambassador. The two of them make this event when it was a joke, people did it with level 60 toons, g7, no mods.

So stop trolling us. You want us to believe that the event should be difficult when you did it when it was so easy. Sounds very hypocrate to me.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    This time I tried Tarkin lead (it's at lvl 7 so empire should have +28 speed right?). Added my best speed mods to Zader and EP (both 7* lvl 85 and gear 10) so their base speed is at 150ish (before Tarkin). Then still have RG (7* lvl 80 gear 8) and Veers (6* lvl 80 gear 80). Same story, slaughtered by stage 4. The added speed makes almost zero difference, the ewoks go first, they can 2 or 3 shot the RG whether or not they are deathmarked, same with Tarkin and Veers. My droid options are K2 at (7* lvl 85 gear 10, but he gets destroyed as soon as the taunt) and r2d2 at lvl 65 5* gear 7. are there any specs on the ewoks?
    Speed helps, but their advantage in this event isn't a speed advantage, it's a turn value advantage. You need to counter that.

If you have equal speed to the event Ewoks, you will lose because on each turn they are able to do a lot more damage than you are in the long run, and because they have more warm bodies to throw at you than you do. So you might kill 10 Ewoks, but if they take down one of your characters you've lost out in the transaction. Each time an Ewok takes a turn, they're able to have a high impact on your roster than you will have on theirs, thus making their turns more valuable.

What you need to do is negate their value. There are two ways to do this:
    1) Turn meter. Equal speed helps, but not much because you need to ensure you're taking more turns than they are, not the same number. So anything you can do to fill your turn meter by a % or shrink theirs will help a lot.
    2) AoE. Most of your characters should be able to one-shot a buffed Ewok (unbuffed Ewoks are tougher, but don't do any significant amount of damage, so you should be using them to reset your cooldowns and hopefully heal with the Event Ability), but single target attacks lead to a disadvantage in the long run because you're trading one of your turns for one of theirs. So if you can use AoE to take out multiple Ewoks at once you're going to do real well.

Palpatine will be a better leader in your case than Tarkin, assuming you can debuff reliably.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I mean, look, I get why people focus on Arena--it's the only time you're actually facing another person (sorta) so it's the only real competition in the game at the moment. (Which is hysterical once you get to the high end of Arena and the competition completely stops...)

But the thing about focusing solely on Arena is that it stunts you everywhere else. Folks who complain about hard Galactic Wars almost always have the same problem: Five ultra-rad characters, a bunch of under-invested scrubs. Folks who don't do well in raids and get limited rewards have one or two teams they can use while everyone else is bringing five to the table.

Arena is important because you can get the most crystals from it in a day for free. But it's not everything.
  • CapGaSP
    313 posts Member
    Options

Alright, maybe not CUP.

You had better believe that if I ever make a Scoundrel themed Assault Battle someday CUP will get his moment to shine. Otherwise, great post! it's definitely true I want to encourage people to use teams they might not otherwise use, but at leaving it as two broad categories (Droids/Empire, Rebels/Clones, etc...) I feel is the right balance to let people come up with teams of their own.

Designer of all things Events for SW:GoH.
    reddit: /u/Capgasp
    I don't reply to attacks or negativity. Keep it civil.
  • CEG9876
    355 posts Member
    Options
    They are all the same difficulty in my opinion.
    But, if you complete one you can complete the all
  • Options
    I started playing for the second time in late Dec '17 - I think this is 3rd time that event with the Furry Teddies on Steriods has come round...

This morning for the very first time I completed tier 1 of this event, the feeling of satisfaction was IMMENSE! I'm now crying because I'm only about 10% away from being able slap the Elder from battle 8 of tier 2.

I love these events they encourage you to build a synergy squad of a faction, and not just chase the current META. The rewards are nice too!
  • Darek
    38 posts Member
    Options
    100% agree. 80 % players they have only one team to compete in arena, and rest of their rosters are so poor. Usually they have wiggs + some rebels and thats it. And later crying out on forum how bad devs are because they cant use wiggs everywhere
  • flux_rono
    2124 posts Member
    Options
    i recommend droids mine can beat the bonus tier without much protection loss.... you just need to get lots of tm to kill ewok elders and AoE to kill all the scouts at once. (my team is Hk, 88, 86, 6* r2z1, and grievous. ive done this with vader and palp instead of r2 and grievous in the past with similar results)
  • Darek
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Forrest moon battle is quite very easy, one strategy. Choose toons with AOE attacks to wipe out few ewoks at once and second point keep away Ewok Elder of the game, use stun, block ability, fracture etc. to not let him revive the others
  • Xyrex
    47 posts Member
    Options
    CG_CapGaSP wrote: »

Alright, maybe not CUP.

You had better believe that if I ever make a Scoundrel themed Assault Battle someday CUP will get his moment to shine. Otherwise, great post! it's definitely true I want to encourage people to use teams they might not otherwise use, but at leaving it as two broad categories (Droids/Empire, Rebels/Clones, etc...) I feel is the right balance to let people come up with teams of their own.

I can understand that you want encourage the players to use team that are not meta. But what when we do it, and it's not enough?

I started to improve my empire team, for many reasons, one of them was this event. I would probably go easy with my empire squad if wasn't for this event.

So I a level up my five favorite empire toons to 75, gear them to 8, put them some mods and level the mods. That is a insane spend of resources. And now the event is so difficult that I cannot do it, even the first ier. It is ok, there are a lot of things that I cannot do in this game, just 3 months playing.

But could you at least change the recomendations, because I feel really dissapointed with the fact I am struggling with credits, purple ability mats, gear, mods, and I waste all my resources for nothing.

That wouldn't happen if you set good recomendations. Level 85, gear X toons, or something more accord to reality.

I can understand that longer players gonna be happy with the increase of the difficulty of the event. But what about new players? You could perfectly do easier tier I, so it match with the recomendations. Don't want to do that? It's ok, but at least tell us that we gonna really need so we are not wasting our resources in things that we cannot do anyway.

I really like this game, and I am really enjoy it. I understand that I am new and are a lot of things i cannot do. Just asking to don't point me to the wrong direction.
  • Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    Options
    Darek wrote: »
    Forrest moon battle is quite very easy, one strategy. Choose toons with AOE attacks to wipe out few ewoks at once and second point keep away Ewok Elder of the game, use stun, block ability, fracture etc. to not let him revive the others

Snow trooper is amazing at this. He has an aoe that can have an instant cool down, and if it's on cool down then his basic can inflict ability block
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Options
    I know you said the damage output for Ewoks would be suped up, but sheesh. These munchkins are on steroids. It would be nice if I could use three of my Palps and two of my TFP's for a squad to match all the duplicate E Scouts and E Elders that keep reviving each other. I beat the other tiers but it's the bonus tier that's really kicking my rump.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The bonus tier requires a fair amount of staging in each lvl. Make sure you have abilities ready for the fur ball death squads that pop up on the odd stages.

Good luck.
  • Bt_7274
    357 posts Member
    Options
    Bonus tier way way easier for me than the other ones,i used tarkin lesd thrawn snowtrooper death and lren kren
    discord:Darth Woodman#6467,looking for shardmates:Warrior ìN,skirge2000,GlideX,erykgx,harunalp,TDB,Kiwida,dyloot,pm me on discord plz