Line vs. Discord

Bnorth86
125 posts Member
What are some of the reasons you and your guild prefer Discord as a third-party app? My guild is looking at potentially changing over from Line.

Replies

• Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    With one "Server" you can have multiple rooms I.E.

General

Raid Discussion

PVP

SWGOH - News

Ships

Guild Rules - static with Pins

Its like the forums here, but with more control. I think (imho) it looks better but the big thing to me is control and segregating the different topics of rooms etc. I use both, mostly due to having to use line to get into some of the different discussion groups but I find Discord vastly superior. At work I can monitor discord by logging into a web page etc.
  • Options
    I have never used line but when I was setting my guilds discord up I looked to see which was best and everyone said discord.
  • Options
    We use slack it's very organized and easy
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    truth2500 wrote: »
    We use slack it's very organized and easy

Slack is nice, its more business orientated (we use it for work communications). Thing about Slack is if you dont pay premium they archive your posts, so if you have old posts and you want to see them you have lost them unless you pay the premium price.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    Options
    I like discord. Used line long time but discord has more to offer.

I can use it on a computer, tablet, smartphone.
    Manage notifications, set rules. You can also edit messages, which is useful.
    Admins can set roles or groups. It is so much better for gaming communities than Line.

• Options
    Just go discord and dont even think about line, its still stuck in the 2000s
  • Options
    We have 30 guilds. For different reasons I have used LINE, Discord and Slack. LINE is the only solution to consider.

If you don't go into a Discord/Slack chat for a while and want to find where you left off, in Discord you can find yourself scrolling for 15 minutes because it does not work showing where you left off. If you want to scroll to where you last posted something yourself, you can never find it in an active chat. LINE right justifies the comments you make but left justifies all of the posts by others, making it very easy to locate posts. You want to invite a bunch of people to a chat really quick? You can't do it with Discord or Slack...it is links or emails. No one has time for that, it's junk. With LINE it can take seconds to invite a ton of people to one chat! I am in chats with hundreds of people...like I said, we are a part of 30 guilds. LINE has stickers that are awesome! When you have raid rules and important info to post in a specific chat for your guild members and you want to make sure people are reading it...LINE shows you how many members of a chat have seen the important information / required reading without needing anyone to reply. Discord/Slack don't have that. A few weeks ago, Discord channels just randomly stopped showing up. Slack has limited storage unless you pay up. I'm in a Discord channel with a couple hundred people. When there is a hot topic going on and multiple people are typing/posting and you enter trying to catch up, good luck! The screen seems to just randomly jump around with each post. It's ridiculous. Sometimes in Discord, the channel seems to "stick" which doesn't allow me to scroll. I have to go out of that channel, click on another, click back out of that one and go back to where I wanted to be originally. Also, when the app first starts up, it sometimes takes me 3 clicks to get where I want to be but with LINE it opens to wherever I was last. Managing multiple guilds in a guild family has to be a nightmare in anything but LINE.

I view Discord and Slack as just plain broken. They are not friendly, fun, easy to use or even functional in some cases. The only real answer is LINE.

Some people might bring up the psycho people and bots destroying some LINE chats. My only answer to that is you really need to know who you are inviting to chats. Common sense will carry you pretty far in life.
  • Gwonk
    239 posts Member
    Options
    I use Discord for guild chat and Line for arena shard chat. Vastly prefer Discord.
  • Keszey
    68 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I spend about 12 hours a day on World of Warcraft. I already had discord. My guild uses it (WoW and SWGOH) and I do believe there are several other guilds that use our server as well. Also several rooms like were mentioned above. IMHO Discord is superior in every way.
    The @ feature of Discord is a the best reason (assuming if you have android you don't have the program hibernated)..
This discussion has been closed.