Why isn't Krennic/K-trooper used more in the arena?

Rapid
421 posts Member
Since the introduction of Thrawn we've seen more empire/hybrid teams topping the arena. Just a few that I've seen that have been very impressive have been:

Thrawn/DT/Shore/DN/GK
Rex/GK/DN/Thrawn/R2
Tarkin/DT/DN/Thrawn/GK or Shore

With K-trooper having such impressive synergy, particularly under a Thrawn lead, why isn't Krennic more involved? Both can hit for 20k+ on their basics.

Is it that he's so hard to farm? Is it that tanks are needed in his place? Is it that he isn't as strong under a Rex lead?

What is it?

I'm considering assembling a top empire/hybrid arena team and I'd welcome people's input on a) the best Krennic teams you have seen/faced and b) whether they are as strong as the 3 above (and others you may have seen).

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    I run zzThrawn (L), Tarkin, zDT, DK, Shore, and it's a beast of a team. However, I went hard at DK when he was in shard shop, and got him from whatever we had at the marquee event to like 40/100 during his limited run there. DK is a hard farm, is squishy even at 7*, and requires you to have a zeta on DT.

Under a Rex lead, he's less useful than other options, and if you're running any variant on a hide-the-nihilus team, he's definitely not a great option. For a pure empire team, he's solid as can be.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    Krennic is okay, but thrawn more helpful bcause he can fracture. DT not really good on attack damage terms, but he is handy.. like new version of TFP, that buff immun + deathmark. It's hard to put krennic bcause there is thrawn.
  • Options
    RacerDejak wrote: »
    Krennic is okay, but thrawn more helpful bcause he can fracture. DT not really good on attack damage terms, but he is handy.. like new version of TFP, that buff immun + deathmark. It's hard to put krennic bcause there is thrawn.

I think the OP is asking about teams with Thrawn already in them, not replacing Thrawn with Krennic. And DT, with Krennic, can do some really nasty damage.
  • Options
    Krennic is a hard farm and you need to Zeta DT also

Its a harder build for most
  • Options
    As I recall when these toons were released they were very expensive even for the whales. Its just a Joke to farm with Krennic on a hard node.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    As I recall when these toons were released they were very expensive even for the whales. Its just a Joke to farm with Krennic on a hard node.

This. Krennic has a single node and is an insanely long farm. Very few people have him at 7*.
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options

I think the OP is asking about teams with Thrawn already in them, not replacing Thrawn with Krennic. And DT, with Krennic, can do some really nasty damage.

I'm sorry.. my bad. Like @Indominable_J team :
    zzThrawn (L), Tarkin, zDT, DK, Shore. I think it's great team to have with three of them in one. I think the problem is resource so that maybe u rarely see that kind of setup in arena. Shore, DK hard to obtain, DT obtainable but need time. Thrawn only via legendary. Also, they need zeta.

Out of curiosity (and out of topic), i don't understand why people put thrawn under rex lead. Bcause i think normally people want thrawn go fast asap to put fracture. Then go slow as possible to keep the fracture on. Under rex lead, does it make thrawn gaining tm? I don't understand :frowning:
  • Options
    I'd also add that the cost / benefit to put a zeta on DT is questionable. it's not like it's even an OP Chaze-level synergy or even Wiggs - but it's necessary if you want to run Krennic at all. That gives me concern to blow a zeta on a skill that is ONLY useful when paired with another specific hero. The zeta on DT should give him some general benefit outside of just when he's with DK. It's really DK's zeta stuck on DT cause DT is 100% great in arena without the zeta and without DK. I run zVeers instead of DK in a full DS team and like that shared synergy with DT and Shore under Thrawn.
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Options
    Cause Krennic is a one node farm and for leading Thrawn is a better supportive with his cleanse
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    Even for those that have krennic, he doesn't do anything better than anyone else. Dt is a very good stand-alone hero. If you have only 2 Slots available (thrawn, gk, shore), dt + dn is much better than dt + dk and that sucks, but it's accurate.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

zzThrawn (L), Tarkin, zDT, DK, Shore. I think it's great team to have with three of them in one. I think the problem is resource so that maybe u rarely see that kind of setup in arena. Shore, DK hard to obtain, DT obtainable but need time. Thrawn only via legendary. Also, they need zeta.

Out of curiosity (and out of topic), i don't understand why people put thrawn under rex lead. Bcause i think normally people want thrawn go fast asap to put fracture. Then go slow as possible to keep the fracture on. Under rex lead, does it make thrawn gaining tm? I don't understand :frowning:

The reason for running Thrawn under rex is that it's a great defensive team. It's able to stop both chaze and zmaul in their tracks. Thrawn fracture destroys chaze and/or GK and having Rex lead still allows them to beat zmaul on defence, especially if they choose to run R2 as well. The best team in my shard is Rex/Thrawn/DT/GK/R2. There aren't many teams that can beat it because they're super fast too.

@Indominable_J nice team. Have you considered putting DN in for Tarkin? I thought the whole point of tarkin is to run him as lead so that you're faster than thrawn lead teams? I know DN doesn't get the added offence but having 2 cooldown increases and instant kill would be nice right?

So from the feedback here, it seems to be a mixture of being a hard farm and having to expend a zeta on DT.

Not many examples of teams anyone is running or faced? can anyone else provide any more feedback on this?

• Indominable_J
    1812 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Rapid wrote: »
    @Indominable_J nice team. Have you considered putting DN in for Tarkin? I thought the whole point of tarkin is to run him as lead so that you're faster than thrawn lead teams? I know DN doesn't get the added offence but having 2 cooldown increases and instant kill would be nice right?

DN could work, but Tarkin is solid in his own right. AOE offense down (and doing so with out damage that could trigger counters/taunts/tm gain/etc...) is solid, and feeds into Krennic's unique, pumping damage for both him and DT. He also has AOE tm reduction, both good on its own and to trigger staggers.

• Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    @Rapid I have much more success with tarkin than krennic. Now to preface this, I'm strictly discussing defending.

Krennic, veers and tarkin are all very good in a Empire formation. On my shard, tarkin is better in my empire team. Unfortunately, the "fix" to maneuver priority has ruined tarkin's abiltiy to go back-to-back. This means empire heroes will spend extra turns using maneuver rather than a special first. This gives the opponent advantages. Tarkin used to be able to apply his debuffs then immediately reduce the tm on all opponents. This changed. Which this change, I had to adapt.

More tanky toons are required to soak up more incoming damage due to cleansing.

Essentially, for a really great empire squad, thrawn dt and shore is a great core. For the other 2, a mixture of krennic, veers, tarkin dn and gk will all preform excellently on offense. Defense may vary depending on your shard
  • Nightlores
    1608 posts Member
    Options
    Krennic is awesome on offence, not so much on defence I hear from peeps who have him geared. Am doing the slow farm anyways and will try him out when ready in august 2020 :)
  • Options
    Rapid wrote: »

The reason for running Thrawn under rex is that it's a great defensive team. It's able to stop both chaze and zmaul in their tracks. Thrawn fracture destroys chaze and/or GK and having Rex lead still allows them to beat zmaul on defence, especially if they choose to run R2 as well. The best team in my shard is Rex/Thrawn/DT/GK/R2. There aren't many teams that can beat it because they're super fast too.

So from the feedback here, it seems to be a mixture of being a hard farm and having to expend a zeta on DT.

Not many examples of teams anyone is running or faced? can anyone else provide any more feedback on this?

I'm working on krenic lead with DT, Tie Pilot, shore trooper and veers, I end up with 216 crit damage for tie pilot and death trooper and krenic also krenic and dt synergy add up to 100% more crit damage. I have 98% crit chance on death trooper with 100% potency for him and tie pilot ends with 92% crit chance and 100% potency. I'm hitting 40-50k crit damage and with death mark hitting up to 70-80k hits vs nihilus teams or baze. Tie pilot with gear 12 runs 26k protection and can add p to 8k additional health on gear 13 stats. I'm not fully done maxing veers and krenic due to slow farming. I haven't used in arena yet because not maxed and only have dt zeta awaiting to zeta krenic for recovery protection but I feel pretty good about the offense, and shore trooper takes a beating well with health steal and prevents even more crit with crit chance down. I have beat in gw a CL lead with chaze and z2 and nihilus because I can one shot CL and chirrut before chirrut cleanses debuffs. Not sure how will fair in arena yet