Mega Threads

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of these giant amalgamation threads. They get unwieldy very quickly and make it nearly impossible to find information or answers to particular questions. This problem is compounded when a dozen people ask the same question over and over because the thread is 10+ pages long, or when an update is particularly controversial and generates a lot of anti-CG/Dev/EA response.

Perhaps only merge into the Mega Thread when a topic has been addressed? More like a Mega FAQ thread than an ongoing conversation
Sirdigbychknczr: Raidmaster of Exiles of Dathomir (998-312-712)
Always Recruiting new blood! Hpit/NAAT
mutesaber.com

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The mega thread is because people ask the same question 10 times.

They can be rough to navigate, as always search is your friend.
  • Options
    Yes, but what I'm saying is that if they were made into a MegaFAQ resource instead of 15 pages of "+1, Devs Suck!, Nerf <toon>" then they would actually be useful instead of a quagmire of gibberish.
    mutesaber.com
  • Options
    a dozen people ask the same question over and over.

This is exactly the reason mega threads exist. Read more, Spam less.
  • Sirdigbychknczr
    200 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ok, let me try this a different way since I'm obviously being unclear..

If you have a question, are you more likely to
    A) Read through 10 or more pages of a mega thread in the hopes that someone already asked and had it answered to your satisfaction
    B ) Use the search function (which we obviously know that people don't use)
    or C) post your question at the end of the Mega Thread or in a new Thread, which gets merged and lost, never actually getting closure?

Now, if one of the forum mods was pruning questions into an easy to navigate single FAQ post for each update, they would be actually useful tools that could be easily referred to when a person asks the same question again, closing the redundant thread and reducing overall spam.

You could go 1 step further and have 2 posts in the thread.. one of Answered/closed questions, and one of questions that are as of yet, unanswered.
    mutesaber.com
  • Dark_Light
    499 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ok, let me try this a different way since I'm obviously being unclear..

If you have a question, are you more likely to
    A) Read through 10 or more pages of a mega thread in the hopes that someone already asked and had it answered to your satisfaction
    B ) Use the search function (which we obviously know that people don't use)
    or C) post your question at the end of the Mega Thread or in a new Thread, which gets merged and lost, never actually getting closure?

Now, if one of the forum mods was pruning questions into an easy to navigate single FAQ post for each update, they would be actually useful tools that could be easily referred to when a person asks the same question again, closing the redundant thread and reducing overall spam.

You could go 1 step further and have 2 posts in the thread.. one of Answered/closed questions, and one of questions that are as of yet, unanswered.

Thank you! The way this forum works these days makes no sense. Almost impossible to navigate anymore, "just merge everything" seems to be the mandate. Unless it's fanboy praise that can stay on page 1 of general.
  • Options
    Mega threads don't stop people from asking the same question but it does make it confusing to read for those that actually flip through 10 pages of interweaved conversation. I usually don't read through the mega threads because of all the redundancy actually.

It would be nice if you could group threads by topic w a sticky in a particular category. So when you click on the master thread, it lists all the sub-threads.
  • Options
    It would be very useful if we could confine a search to a specific thread or forum. The current catch-all search function is not that helpful to me.
  • Options
    Aaaaand now we've been moved to the feedback forum, where ideas go to die.
    mutesaber.com