Territory Battles & Time

Findesiecle
32 posts Member
edited August 2017
For the judgmental folks: 50 7*, 11G11, 11G10, 15G9, etc. I'm nowhere near a whale, not even a dolphin, but I've been around and know what I'm doing. I solo rancor, am on daily, older shard, rank top 50 usually (but ZMaul has fallen out of favor and I'm distracted by tank gearing), etc.

Let me be clear, this is not meant to be a boo-hoo post; I imagine a lot of people feel similar given posts I have seen. I also know it is a choice that I alone must make, and it is not the responsibility of the game/devs to keep me from quitting. I do, however, want to re-share this issue and ask a question.

The last QOL update was very well received in recouping a little bit of time. However, between character and gear needs, flash/other events, and now upcoming Territory Battles: I find myself worried. This game already "asks" a good 2-3 hours on raid days. With Territory Battles being seemingly expansive, what kind of time commitment should we expect? Is this a once-a-month several-day event following a long time saving a resource to launch? Or is this along the lines of raids launching every few days and requiring another hour or two? If it is frequent and lengthy, are there plans to offset this?

It is a beautiful game, I love the complexity and doing more than 3 attack-a-base battles on a cooldown, and so forth. Also, to anticipate some responses: I know, I could stop manual rancor, GW, midday logins, keeping rank 1 ships... all at the expense of investment, which helps with gear, which is the crux of anybody trying to succeed. I could cut guild officership. I could cut a lot of things. But my gaming habits are a bit all-or-nothing. Being half active is not helpful to my guild (I'm the heavier hitter), and it saps my enjoyment. So what are we looking at here? Could we get any hints about the future of QOL? I'd prefer to make an informed decision, as much as I know this is an answer to which I am not entitled.

TL;DR: No, there's no way for me to give you my stuff.
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Options
    I hope we can launch TB as often as raids. Maybe u don't have the time & that's fine but some of us want more to do each week.
  • Options
    That last comment crush my dreams. I won't ask then. ;)
  • Options
    Could've just asked for a timeline
  • Findesiecle
    32 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Let me be clear: I am not asking them to build the game around my schedule and desired time commitment. I am reasonably sure that I do represent a number of folks with similar sentiments, as I am sure there are folks like StrangeTamer who have the time/want more to do, for the same reasons I posted my thoughts: wanting to enjoy the game.

Not sure if a timeline would help. I know they will be releasing information about TB sometime soon-ish, but I'm not sure if they would be giving us information germane to time commitment (which is somewhat hard to predict anyway).
  • Options
    Let me be clear: I am not asking them to build the game around my schedule and desired time commitment. I am reasonably sure that I do represent a number of folks with similar sentiments, as I am sure there are folks like StrangeTamer who have the time/want more to do, for the same reasons I posted my thoughts: wanting to enjoy the game.

Not sure if a timeline would help. I know they will be releasing information about TB sometime soon-ish, but I'm not sure if they would be giving us information germane to time commitment (which is somewhat hard to predict anyway).

You're not alone. My guild has seen two active players quit playing in the last week. It's something I've considered doing again. I took a 7 month break before coming back. The time commitment is different for everyone.
  • Options
    The amount of time I spend playing one mobile game has caused many fights in my household.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    @Findesiecle I share your worry.

My wife is already super mad that I am doing my daily stuff first thing in the morning so I may enjoy family or work during the day and then focus on raids in the evening. It is already a big time commitment. As a f2p player - doing everything every day is the only way I can try and stay competitive.

The last QOL update allowed us to speed up battles, which has helped immensely, but I am still at my time limit each day.

I guess we have to pick and choose what is important to us. My guild has already confirmed that the heavy hitters will step back on Pit Raid to allow for lower level guild mates to get the better rewards, that in turn will help us better manage the HAAT.

But even still, ship battles are still under development - many more ships still need to be released and all of this with TB will be a time challenge for sure.

I trust the Dev team, as they did with the QOL update, that something is in the pipeline to stream line this game, giving us more to do with little more time consumption on a daily basis.

Perhaps GW will be made a little smaller? Perhaps we only need to do one arena battle instead of 2?

There are ways that this game can be streamlined and until my time is completely devoted to this game so that my actual life becomes an issue, then and only then would I consider quitting. But, like I say, I have trust in the Dev Team that they will continue this game forward in a way that benefits everyone going forward.
  • Findesiecle
    32 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As far as the "off topic" personal life stuff goes, I'm with you two. My spouse is understanding and I do the same early AM and late evening "scheduling" so I can work and such. If we're out doing things at night, I just bite that bullet and survive. Just how it has to work. Still, I'm not sure how viable all of this can remain if the fresh, exciting content starts asking even more time. Worse, if it lasts all day and requires midday check-ins to be competitive. That's why I was asking about anticipated time commitment in general.
    Post edited by Findesiecle on
  • Options
    The last QOL update was very well received in recouping a little bit of time. However, between character and gear needs, flash/other events, and now upcoming Territory Battles: I find myself worried. This game already "asks" a good 2-3 hours on raid days. With Territory Battles being seemingly expansive, what kind of time commitment should we expect? Is this a once-a-month several-day event following a long time saving a resource to launch? Or is this along the lines of raids launching every few days and requiring another hour or two? If it is frequent and lengthy, are there plans to offset this?

Thanks,
  • Options
    We know when they released it.
  • Options
    Really
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Wow, someone is worries about to much content, lol.
  • Findesiecle
    32 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not worried about too much content; worried about how the time commitment of the content is balanced.

I'm aware they will release some sort of information in the near future, but it might not tell us a lot about time commitment. I was wondering if they have a sense of time and could answer; don't a lot of people post here asking for information? Worst case, this at least serves as a reminder that a portion of the population does have limited time. Mobile gaming and all; not necessarily a MMO.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    i thought people wanted more content but now people are complaining about how much time they play the game. Spoiler alert: if you spend too much time playing, its not the game's fault.
  • Options
    What makes me sad about your post is the amount of bureaucracy you have to throw in just to say "I want to quit".
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    When we know, you'll know. Ya know!

There is very little information out right now and it's all from the dev post. I'm sure more information will come but even the devs will not tell you how much you need to play the game.
  • Options
    Read the original messages if you're confused about intention/responsibility.

There are two portions of the gaming population. Each enjoy new content. Each have different time commitments. It is up to the devs to decide how they want the game to proceed, and it is within the right for consumers to post their opinions/desires (not demands). It is then up to the individual on what they want to do with their time and how they engage the game. There is a big difference between complaining and feedback.
  • Options
    What makes me sad about your post is the amount of bureaucracy you have to throw in just to say "I want to quit".

Made me chuckle. I'm seriously on the fence. I thought about it last night after realizing the time spent AND that there's a potential big content update. If I can reclaim some time now understanding future expectations, why not?

• Options
    Perhaps a good reminder to rephrase/re-emhasize. It's not about devs telling me how I should play; rather, it's more about, "How big we talkin' here?" I'm not delusional enough to think I'd have a guaranteed dev response, but the original intent of my post was one of personal importance and hoping that maybe - just maybe - they'd give a hint at what this might look like insofar as time/duration/expanse.

Then again, admitting the update could be a substantial QOL hit is probably not the best PR. But, y'know, general discussion.
  • Options
    To me its not so much the time but when I have to play. I would really like this new content to allow players to play at the time they want, not at set times. We already have rancor at a set time, tank at set times, both arenas at set times. Let each player pick the time they want and still not miss out on rewards. It sounds like everyone getting same rewards which may help. One time you might have more free time and can help out more, next might be harder. Or one day you can get in the morning, next is later at night. Let us work to our schedule for something. To many things at set times, it will help us enjoy the game even more.
  • Options
    To me its not so much the time but when I have to play. I would really like this new content to allow players to play at the time they want, not at set times. We already have rancor at a set time, tank at set times, both arenas at set times. Let each player pick the time they want and still not miss out on rewards. It sounds like everyone getting same rewards which may help. One time you might have more free time and can help out more, next might be harder. Or one day you can get in the morning, next is later at night. Let us work to our schedule for something. To many things at set times, it will help us enjoy the game even more.

Don't forget free energy set times also (even they're free). Also to our dedicated officer who make sheets just for make sure everbody do their 600 tickets.
  • Options
    We haven't completed HAAT so maybe that's the 2-3 hours but we can finish Heroic Rancor in 20 minutes and I can get my daily NAAT runs in within an hour.
  • Options
    Monel wrote: »
    Wow, someone is worries about to much content, lol.

That's a first,
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options
    While Territory battles isn't out yet, nudging this to the nearest applicable location. Cheers!
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

I agree with this 1000000%. A game is typically something one does with their leisure time. However, if the game in question dictates to me when I have to play - that, by definition, is not (or at least, may not) be my "leisure time".

If Territory Battles turn out to be an event that we have to do at certain times of the day or certain times relative to our guildmates, that will be a HUGE disappointment. This game needs more things that can be done at the players' convenience - not more times dictating when we "have" to play.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand where the OP is coming from. I think the reason this game has held my interest longer than any other app is because it is not terribly time consuming. I can spend about an hour a day on the game and maximize rewards. Granted, I don't put too much time into Arena and Raids, but I still do them.

On other apps, I always find myself burning out on them because I feel forced to devote lots of time each day to maximize rewards. On this app, however, I can scrape by with 30 minutes a day (an hour preferably). And even better, I can do it while engaged in other activities.

The more this game adds to do as requirements to stay somewhat competitive, the less my interest in it will become. Also, like the OP, I know that I do not represent the whole player base; I am simply offering my perspective.