How many chromium packs is it needed to be worth it?

Triqui
2790 posts Member
I'm a paying player, but I pay for refills only. Never opened a pack. But I have spent a bunch, and I still hsve a F2P team (just fadter)
Was thinking about chromium lately. If I'm going to spend, maybe it should show. But I know it is not worth it to but just a few.

So, before I start purchasing... How many packs do you think it is necesary to open to hsve a good return for your investment?

Replies

• Options
    Well, ultimately only you can understandthe question but from what i can gather its $1-2,000 to 7* a random character

Thats abou 1,000× too much for me, but idk u

Id advise donating to an animal welfare organization.
  • Options
    400 packs or so, I'm a dolphin, so I learned early chromium packs are pointless unless you're willing to spend $2K+
  • Options
    As others have said, 1-2 thousand... I'm at about $1,200 spent and I only have 1 exclusive maxed: Princess Leia, who has the highest drop rate in chromiums alongside Kit Fisto (6*)

It all depends on how quickly you want to do things and what you want to accomplish in the game. I wanted to use some team compositions that required exclusives but decided I didn't want to wait for them to be put into farmable areas of the game so I bought Chromiums.

If you only want to rank #1 on your ladder or whatever then there are much cheaper farming alternatives that result in equally strong team compositions.
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    oTradeMark wrote: »
    As others have said, 1-2 thousand... I'm at about $1,200 spent and I only have 1 exclusive maxed: Princess Leia, who has the highest drop rate in chromiums alongside Kit Fisto (6*)
    that's the answer I was looking for.

How much to have several 6*?

er or whatever then there are much cheaper farming alternatives that result in equally strong team compositions.
    Is more about the collector side. But it is a bit too much.
  • Options
    I did about $600 in openings at the same time so I'm not exactly sure when I hit 6* on a lot of them... but 6* is 230 shards and 7* is 330 shards so you're only about 2/3 of the way when you get 6*...

Based on my spending that would be ~$800 in chromiums to have a few 6* exclusives.

Thing is, the exclusives you will get 6* are almost always going to be Leia/Kit first, Aayla/Cad second and Ben/Lando/Maul and all the other 4*'s last
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • puppyCasey
    208 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It all depends on how quickly you want to do things and what you want to accomplish in the game. I wanted to use some team compositions that required exclusives but decided I didn't want to wait for them to be put into farmable areas of the game so I bought Chromiums.

If you only want to rank #1 on your ladder or whatever then there are much cheaper farming alternatives that result in equally strong team compositions.

Question: how would you feel if Leia were to be available to f2p ?

I know people have said that, after spending a lot of money, they feel in some way upset when QGJ or futures are available without chromium ... but maybe certain characters which are like leia, ie 1st to 7* and not very exclusive (compared to darth maulbor old ben, as i gather)
  • oTradeMark
    393 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    puppyCasey wrote: »

Question: how would you feel if Leia were to be available to f2p ?

She will be. I fully expect her to be after the announcement was made with QGJ.

I don't have an issue with exclusives becoming farmable. The issue I had was with QGJ and no announcement being made prior to him going straight to cantina shipments... Before then I was under the impression that chromiums would be the only way to ever acquire those characters. QGJ, Leia & Old Ben were especially the ones I was after.

I had already spent about $400 getting QGJ to 5* a couple weeks before and would have definitely waited for new chromium exclusives before spending that or used the crystals on energy refreshes instead had I known.
  • Options
    2,000 + will make them worth it but then stop because they punish you for having 7*. As they show up alot in your packs and the shard shop has a price too high even for us whales.
  • Options
    They could fix it so 7* dont show in packs and make them good again.

But they dont to for whatever reason...
  • Options
    As above, if money is no issue, spend away but don't expect to get much return or maxed characters for anything under $1000-1500.

The whole system is disgusting.
  • Options
    Dont do it.

As someone who have spent thousands on chrome packs, the release of quigon for farming means its only a matter of time. As such, if you are not opening packs for competitive purposes, just wait for the rotation.
  • Options
    It is weord that small investment is useless and the diminishing return is so strong for big investmrnts. It does not try to appeal the casual spender who might buy a couple packs per month, not the big investir who wants everything 7*.

Makes no sense
  • Options
    We can only put it down to inexperience from the pricing side.
    They can learn from the Japanese.

What some Japanese games do is have a gacha box of 200 cards, and the new cards introduced are instead, mixed with some old ones. So what happens is that you open packs of 11 from that 200, and keep drawing down from the box until the box is empty, or manually reset. This way, the player has an idea of how many more cards to go. The developers also gets a fair return.

This system is usually supplemented by a starring up system that give out rank ups for spending, or during events.

If nothing else, f2p players dont have to be frustrated when they meet this rubbish tier 7 yoda event, and use a rank up item from a previous event.
  • Options
    I'd say 1.5-2k on average, but could go as high as $10k+ if RNG is against you and the card doesn't drop. People fishing for Rey have gone over $2k for example and not got her to 6*.
  • Options
    I say 2k, I am at 1,2k and I have most 6* I don't even have 5 7* jedis
  • Options
    Here's my input...

I have almost every character at 7 star, with the exception of Ima-gun Di (55/100), Rex (76/100), and Vader (5/85).
    The monetary commitment to get Chromium exclusive characters to 6 or 7 star is high. The current meta doesn't even justify needing most of the Chromium only toons. Old Ben, in my opinion, is the character you would get most use out of.
    Secondly, you'll be sitting on mountains of shard currency after opening a large volume of Chromium, because the rate of farmable character drops is extreme. The shard shop, as it sits now, will rarely have any useful shards that you need. I have 485 thousand shard junk in my inventory... only have had one purchase of 2 Vader shards....
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A friend has spent 20k plus in Clash of Clans. Clan Wars being the motivation. He's got multiple accounts he's maxed for the wars. That game gets progressively more expensive but doesn't discourage spending like here. Also, the social aspect is the core attraction in that game.

Here, can't even chat, can't even use a toon used by an ally, it's arbitrary. Spending is actually discouraged, look at the 2x cost increase in refreshing energy. Same for ROI in Chromiums.

I assume this is due to lack of content right now. I hope they add some newer game modes so they stop worrying that too many players will get maxed too fast and then lose interest in the game. I think that is the motivation in discouraging higher spending.

Edit: Saw some self righteous posts around here, so for their benefit he regularly does charity and is active in the community. Works very hard, no vices to spend on. Even if the previous were not true, please don't lower yourself and start commenting on the high spend. It's loose change for him.
  • Options
    I was considering dropping £500 as a one off then continuing £80/month after that, but I've come to the conclusion that even that won't get me the full versions of the characters I'd want so I've decided not to do it.