Yes, I'm an addict...!

So, I first saw this game in the App Store around a year ago. That will be a good time waster for boring train journey's I thought. As my first anniversary approaches I am a little embarrassed to say that I have played it every day! No matter if I feel ill, have loads on at work, or have pretty much anything else to do!
I now find myself frantically collecting shards for Old Ben & farmboy Luke and am eagerly ticking off the days so that I can attempt to unlock the next 'must have' character!
Time is one thing I expected to use up, but not money. I've spent bundles on the **** game and the trend doesn't look like stopping soon. There must be some sort of support group for weak willed individuals like me!!
I've now found this Forum. So it looks like I'll be talking about the game when I'm not playing it.... I'm an addict. Help please! :)

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Try cognitive behavioural therapy.
  • Options
    Try breaking your device so you literally can't play the app
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Options
    Get your friends or family to set a password for in app purchases and not tell you what it is. That's what they did to me when i spent big of Rage of Bahamut back in the day. Now i'm a f2p out of force not choice :'(
  • Options
    What are you doing wasting your time on here??? It's time you could be playing the game.
  • Options
    I cringe when I think about the money and mostly time i've wasted over the past 18+ months, but here I am still going strong...
  • Onark
    104 posts Member
    Options
    Things that help me are

1. Identifying if I'm playing for fun or to escape
    2. If escape, identifying what I'm escaping from
    3. Take some time to write down the problem to get it out of my head so I can think clearly
    4. Address the problem

Addiction is usually a way to run from something you're afraid of confronting. I'm coming up on my one year as well and in a similar position as you but I've been taking time to do those steps over the past 2 months and I find myself playing for fun more often, obsessing less and spending less in the process.

If this game wasn't actually really good, it'd be so much easier to drop it as I've done in the past. Gotta find the balance and we're fighting an up hill battle cause the designers know what makes us tick.

Good job being self aware and proactive!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies!! It's a relief to know I'm not the only one.... there's no way I'm busting up my phone or tablet though!! :smiley:
  • Options
    You are 1 of many thousands of people that have the same problem, expect this topic to be deleted eventually.
  • Options
    Do they delete posts that they don't like then?
    The intention was a light hearted look at how gullible I am! :blush:
  • Options
    You're not gullible. This game brilliantly targets a subset of the population that has:
    • A desire to collect
    • A desire to compete
    • A desire to complete
    • A love of Star Wars

I look at it as a hobby. I don't justify spending my time or money on other hobbies. I understand why the collection of digital assets with no durable good attached is questionable to some people, but in our reality (IMHO) there isn't much of a difference.

If it's not interfering with other parts of your life, what's the bother?
  • Options
    Well put Cannon Fodder, my new hobby it is then!
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Options
    You're not gullible. This game brilliantly targets a subset of the population that has:
    • A desire to collect
    • A desire to compete
    • A desire to complete
    • A love of Star Wars

I look at it as a hobby. I don't justify spending my time or money on other hobbies. I understand why the collection of digital assets with no durable good attached is questionable to some people, but in our reality (IMHO) there isn't much of a difference.

If it's not interfering with other parts of your life, what's the bother?
    +1

I just compare how much value I can get for a certain amount. For example, would I get more enjoyment out of spending $15 dollars on a nice meal out or some crystals for a character I am working on? Depending on which I feel will make me happier, that is what I go with.