Ackbar leading A New Hope (intermittent OT rebel team while waiting for a fully geared CLS)

StormTro0p3R_H
1643 posts Member
edited August 2017
Just to start, I think CLS leading R2, Leia, Old Ben, and Raid Han will be my go-to rebel team, for fun if nothing else. It's no secret AI is dumb enough that you can outsmart it with these guys.

However, Ackbar has some crazy good synergy with the re-works of Leia, Old Ben, Han and with R2 anyway. The great thing about the reworks is that they were made to accelerate or down right grant, the next turn of the people using their buff specials.

(0) Han shoots first

(1) R2: This will be building on 157+25 speed so I think you can get him to go first :) Does his Smoke Screen triggering a bonus assist attack and setting Leia up for greatness. NOTE: a Sith zMaul team with at least ONE non-Sith can mean having to outspeed a Sith Assassin. Good luck when farming mods :)

(2) Leia: Boosts herself triggering a Bonus assist Attack and then filling her own turn meter for her own attack. She is 5 speed faster than R2 and wants one less speed so this is somewhat "easy" (ie, not impossible.)

(3) Han: Perhaps able to do special attack followed immediately by Basic or Team Buff (which will grant an extra assist attack and 50% turn meter to Han) Regardless you use his special to stun and recoupe a bunch (hopefully all depending on how high you can get his crit chance) of turn meter.

(4) Ackbar: Needs to go before Old Ben to ensure he will do both his Taunt and Mind Tricks. His special will trigger a bonus attack and set Old Ben up for greatness.

(5) Old Ben: does what Ackbar lets him do as described above. When he taunts you will get a bonus assist attack.

So one and two should be able to be achieved in succession given the ridiculous base speed of those guys and Ackbar's bonus speed. Depending on mods 3 is a possibility (ie, not impossible but not always going to happen) to immediately follow. Four and Five are likely happening after at least one opponent gets their turn, but those stuns and extra attacks should be pointed at speedy opponents, so it is a very real possibility (as in can really happen against SOME teams) that these can happen before too many enemy attacks.

*Of course this is only to get these New Hope characters to the top of the Arena* even before Commander Luke is needed. After you get him geared, give Ackbar the boot and power through rather than speed through.

REMEMBER: You don't need to be able to beat every team in existence to be first.
Post edited by StormTro0p3R_H on

Replies

• Options
    Bonus attacks: 5
    Regular attacks: 4
    Mind Tricks: 1

So pretty real possibility of 9 attacks prior to anything the enemy can do about it. Two of those attacks are definitely chance to stuns, with a lot of chances that occur from the possibility of R2 being called to assist. (4 of those assist attacks have a 25% chance to call R2.)
  • Options
    I'm sure the enemy will take no turn before this sequence of events and do nothing to disrupt it.
  • Options
    Erm.. Okay, because zMaul was never a thing. Back to the drawing boards rebel scum ;)
  • Options
    You will also have fun watching Thrawn lead eat your buffs and have 100% TM on every toon after OB goes heheh.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Throw out some speed values that get your zMaul team going before a 300 speed R2, 299 speed Leia, and oh, wait, faster than Raid Han's bonus turn at the start of the battle.

It's fun to throw shade but back it up. You need insane speed and specific comps. You're telling me you think AI controlled teams you mentioned stop me on offense with this?

Perhaps you didn't read raid Han's rework?

I'm sure the enemy will take no turn before this sequence of events and do nothing to disrupt it.

I've addressed when I feel the sequence will break down. Ackbar gives those speedy rebels 30 more speed. That's enough to outspeed every team I've seen. You can pretend you've got faster characters for the sake of argument, but no characters get faster than R2 and Leia with Ackbar lead.
  • Options
    How feasible do you think it is to get +143 speed on R2? Not that it isn't impossible, but the luck required is tremendous. Even entertaining the idea that's going to happen and somebody has spare mods to get Leia right behind, you have to assume that the competition is going to have access to the same level of mods. Regardless, the zMaul team needs less speed to make the first move.

For your idea to go, you need your entire team to move first, not taking a stun, ability block, cooldown increase. You're tacitly requiring the same level of speed mods for all characters. It's just not realistic.

If somebody has those mods, they can do much better than that squad.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How feasible do you think it is to get +143 speed on R2? Not that it isn't impossible, but the luck required is tremendous. Even entertaining the idea that's going to happen and somebody has spare mods to get Leia right behind, you have to assume that the competition is going to have access to the same level of mods. Regardless, the zMaul team needs less speed to make the first move.

For your idea to go, you need your entire team to move first, not taking a stun, ability block, cooldown increase. You're tacitly requiring the same level of speed mods for all characters. It's just not realistic.

If somebody has those mods, they can do much better than that squad.

Do you know what Ackbar does? Why are you posting about how something doesn't work if you don't know how it works. Even if you didn't previously know, I wrote down how it works and what values I am working with.

No one moves before Han stuns Sith Assassin keeping all the Sith standing. Now if you'd mention the lack of just one single Sith taking all these hits, that'd make sense. But the speed part doesn't.

Let's not forget the most important part: your team is AI. My team doesn't have to be better, or even equal to yours. Mine has to be sufficient to use wisely. AND the second most important part: this is a post about using A New Hope characters. Not making the most OP offensive team in the game.
  • Options
    The speed is going to be tough. Even with Ackbar's +25 (not 30) speed, Sith Assassin under zMaul is incredibly difficult to move before. As you say Han could solve that problem, but most every zMaul team I encounter has a non sith, usually Kyloo, in there too.
    Don't get me wrong, I love these reworks and am still going to use Ackbar, but zMaul teams will still be a big problem.
  • DavidSPumpkins
    156 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I understand that Ackbar is giving bonus speed. Guess what? https://swgoh.gg/u/stormtro0p3r/ You don't have those mods. Most players don't. Maybe some do, but I re-iterate: if they do, they can do better than this. At that point, we're not even in a debate about what comp is better, but what mods are.

Other things that you aren't considering. 4 Sith + Non-Sith, example GK. Han can only stun what isn't stealthed. This still frees Sass to go first, after the Han free turn. You also aren't considering the TM you'd be giving to Rex leads, or Baze (or both), and a variety of other variables. Things don't happen in a vacuum in this game.
  • Options
    I understand that Ackbar is giving bonus speed. Guess what? https://swgoh.gg/u/stormtro0p3r/ You don't have those mods. Most players don't. Maybe some do, but I re-iterate: if they do, they can do better than this. At that point, we're not even in a debate about what comp is better, but what mods are.

Other things that you aren't considering. 4 Sith + Non-Sith, example GK. Han can only stun what isn't stealthed. This still frees Sass to go first, after the Han free turn. You also aren't considering the TM you'd be giving to Rex leads, or Baze (or both), and a variety of other variables. Things don't happen in a vacuum in this game.

I am beginning to wonder if you are even reading what I am writing. Your internet skills can at least get you looking in to what mods I have equipped and perhaps even all I own, yet I've addressed arguments you are bringing up before you even form them in writing housed on this very web page.

I am not attempting to craft the greatest squad ever. I do not have to. I don't even have to beat the greatest squad ever to reach first. I just have to beat whoever happens to be there. I can assure you I have taken first with worse teams than I am describing here in a sea of zMaul teams.

To your point of whether these will all happen in succession: I never claimed more than the first 2 would and I never stated they have to. It is a turn order for the team. I can't very well insert opponents turns in unknown spots when talking about setting up the turn order for my teams. FYI: possibility < "very real possibility" << always.

If all you know about me is that webpage, you can check it again after these updates go live and be sure to revisit this thread with updated links.
  • Options
    The speed is going to be tough. Even with Ackbar's +25 (not 30) speed, Sith Assassin under zMaul is incredibly difficult to move before. As you say Han could solve that problem, but most every zMaul team I encounter has a non sith, usually Kyloo, in there too.
    Don't get me wrong, I love these reworks and am still going to use Ackbar, but zMaul teams will still be a big problem.

+25, right. I have been using QGJ too long.
  • Options
    Also not considering Baze dispelling all your fun
  • Options

I am beginning to wonder if you are even reading what I am writing. Your internet skills can at least get you looking in to what mods I have equipped and perhaps even all I own, yet I've addressed arguments you are bringing up before you even form them in writing housed on this very web page.

I am not attempting to craft the greatest squad ever. I do not have to. I don't even have to beat the greatest squad ever to reach first. I just have to beat whoever happens to be there. I can assure you I have taken first with worse teams than I am describing here in a sea of zMaul teams.

To your point of whether these will all happen in succession: I never claimed more than the first 2 would and I never stated they have to. It is a turn order for the team. I can't very well insert opponents turns in unknown spots when talking about setting up the turn order for my teams. FYI: possibility < "very real possibility" << always.

If all you know about me is that webpage, you can check it again after these updates go live and be sure to revisit this thread with updated links.
    I'm reading it, perhaps you aren't getting your intent across as much as you'd like. Perhaps I'm not interpreting everything perfectly either. Such is language.

It seems like a perfectly fun team. It would probably work to great effect in GW, I just happen to disagree that it's going to be as arena viable as you think it is, especially with mod sets that are in the possession of the majority of the player base. On the off chance that I'm wrong, I don't think it would be worth grinding to top 5 everyday, because it's probably going to pushed out well past 50 on a daily basis. Even in the scope of utilizing the A New Hope reworks, there are better stop gap options.

I'd like for Ackbar to be more viable, it would make my life easier. I'm not yet transitioned to Tarkin in ships, arena viable Ackbar would justify me gearing him further, and help give more life into second string rebels, but I just don't see it happening.

As far as it only needing to be strong enough to take first, I also don't see it getting past some of the Rex/GK/DN/x/x squads in my shard that are usually there. Perhaps your shard is different. If you can make it work, great.

Did you post this thinking you were just going to get pats on the back for your guesswork? Why even post it for debate if you're not going to consider outside viewpoints?

• Options

I'm reading it, perhaps you aren't getting your intent across as much as you'd like. Perhaps I'm not interpreting everything perfectly either. Such is language.

It seems like a perfectly fun team. It would probably work to great effect in GW, I just happen to disagree that it's going to be as arena viable as you think it is, especially with mod sets that are in the possession of the majority of the player base. On the off chance that I'm wrong, I don't think it would be worth grinding to top 5 everyday, because it's probably going to pushed out well past 50 on a daily basis. Even in the scope of utilizing the A New Hope reworks, there are better stop gap options.

I'd like for Ackbar to be more viable, it would make my life easier. I'm not yet transitioned to Tarkin in ships, arena viable Ackbar would justify me gearing him further, and help give more life into second string rebels, but I just don't see it happening.

As far as it only needing to be strong enough to take first, I also don't see it getting past some of the Rex/GK/DN/x/x squads in my shard that are usually there. Perhaps your shard is different. If you can make it work, great.

Did you post this thinking you were just going to get pats on the back for your guesswork? Why even post it for debate if you're not going to consider outside viewpoints?

No pats on the back necessary. As far as "debate" goes, the fact that I addressed the things you brought up is quite a bit different than hearing any new insight into possible "problems" that you seemed to be sharing.

I get it. These forums are often filled with brag posts and "best team" threads. Talk is mostly about making the best teams possible to take first consistently. But it has effected things in your perspective when you can't interpret the words "this is only to get the New Hope characters to the top of the arena without CLS" as they are written.

You say "even if you could I doubt it would be worth the daily grind to get top 5" and yet that is precisely my intent if it means I can do so with A New Hope characters. You are reading way to far in to this if you think I am proposing a team that can hold against the current meta and have an easy climb.

My first and last paragraph talk precisely about what I am proposing. Making a team with A New Hope characters able to outsmart the AI. Not overpower the game. Not create a new meta or break the current one. Play for top spot with A New Hope characters. This team could do it, but not hold it. It certainly isn't automatic and certainly never claimed it would be easy.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also not considering Baze dispelling all your fun

He can't if he's stunned. Nothing stopping R2 from not Smoke Screening and using his Basic. Han can stun somebody that's not Baze, too.
  • 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Zaul, is dead. R2, saw to that.