Will G12 destroy FTP in arena?

I'm reasonably FTP, spent about $75 on this game. I save my crystals from arena payouts and buy gear with them. I'm in a small guild of friends, we don't do well. I'm ok with that.

I place top 20 everyday, sometimes top 10, and I got rank 2 payout a few days ago. The top 5 people in my shard are megawhales. The top person, with an all maxed all zeta'd Zaul team, will immediately be G12 across the board.

Since my DN is only 5*, and I'm not gonna pay $250 to get him to 7*, am I just out of luck? Being "FTP" in the top 10 of megawhales is the best feeling. I don't want to get riggity recked cause of G12.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Nemman
    76 posts Member
    Options
    I'm almost ftp too.
    Is normal that for the first time after update spender will have some advantages , nothings against it.
    They own their advantage paying, so is okay. Otherwise why should they pay?
    In 1/2 months we will get the same stuff for free
  • Options
    Well, my first thought is that in my shard, most of us in the top 20 are FTP or dolphins and the few whales we have generally don't seem to be vert good at the game and just Zeta new characters and throw them in a team. I don't know how it is on your shard, but if their still using Zaul, they might not be as bug of whales as you think.

Regardless, if you think of the difference between G10 and G11, it's not nearly as huge as the difference between a good team and good mods and a bad team or bad mods.

I'd actually go so far as to say that the main advantage whales have is in farming mods, or rather being able to buy them all the time. Unless CLS is insanely OP (as opposed to just normal GK OP), this will not likely change.

Of course, we don't know what this new gear is going to add Stat wise, so it's hard to say. Any speculation is premature at this point.

I will say that it's always possible to make your guild better. There will be a lot of FTP guilds that will probably be losing some members during the first few months after territory battles. I'd suggest trying to merge with another guild or find a new one and bring your friends.

Once you are able to beat HAAT, you will all benefit from the gear and extra guild tokens. It makes the whole game more fun.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Regardless, if you think of the difference between G10 and G11, it's not nearly as huge as the difference between a good team and good mods and a bad team or bad mods.

The difference is first for the tanks. A ShT gr 10 can be around 50k max where a gr 11 can turn around 70k (protection only). The second difference is that you are more often focused when you don't have maxed toons. So, A 5* ShT gr 10 will of course be more focused than a team having a 7* gr 12 ShT.
    I'd actually go so far as to say that the main advantage whales have is in farming mods, or rather being able to buy them all the time. Unless CLS is insanely OP (as opposed to just normal GK OP), this will not likely change.

They'll also have an advantage by gearing up their toons first. As F2P, you should know that the gear grind is crazy to get the yellow and HAAT gears. A lot of weeks can pass without giving you those gears as rewards, so you need to buy them. Cool if you're top 5 (crystals income) but you won't stay top 5 for a long time if you have a lot of whales in your shards.
  • Options
    BulYwif wrote: »

The difference is first for the tanks. A ShT gr 10 can be around 50k max where a gr 11 can turn around 70k (protection only). The second difference is that you are more often focused when you don't have maxed toons. So, A 5* ShT gr 10 will of course be more focused than a team having a 7* gr 12 ShT.

They'll also have an advantage by gearing up their toons first. As F2P, you should know that the gear grind is crazy to get the yellow and HAAT gears. A lot of weeks can pass without giving you those gears as rewards, so you need to buy them. Cool if you're top 5 (crystals income) but you won't stay top 5 for a long time if you have a lot of whales in your shards.

Haha, I never said gear didn't matter. Only that you could have a gear 12 Mace, Lumi, RG, Lobot, CUP team, and they would lose to a g9 Wiggs/Chaze/R2 team.

I also never said I was FTP. I've spent a bit, and my FO arena team only needs 10 pieces to make G12, so I'm not too worried. On my shard the top 20 all pretty much talk to each other, we genrerally don't let the whales mess with us outside of their payout.

Maybe answer the OP instead of misinterpreting my post hmm?
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Haha, I never said gear didn't matter. Only that you could have a gear 12 Mace, Lumi, RG, Lobot, CUP team, and they would lose to a g9 Wiggs/Chaze/R2 team.

Don't underestimate CUP gr 12 ...
    I also never said I was FTP.

The YOU in the post is more a global way of speaking than something related to you (maybe coming from that I'm not a native english speaker and this form of speaking is often use in my native language).
    Therefore the YOU explained above.
  • Options
    It's not that g12 will smack FTP around its that g12 will very likely bash g11 to death.

You've no doubt got plenty of toons that are 7* so you'll need to devise a strategy that matches the 7* g12 toons you do have or devise a strategy around running underpowered toons in arena.

But as a fellow FTP I feel your pain and both you and I will need to be strategically clever to maintain parity.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    You are a gobbie man, not a f2p or almost f2p ;)
  • Options
    BulYwif wrote: »

Don't underestimate CUP gr 12 ...
    I also never said I was FTP.

The YOU in the post is more a global way of speaking than something related to you (maybe coming from that I'm not a native english speaker and this form of speaking is often use in my native language).
    Therefore the YOU explained above.

Sure, makes sense, but it was the fact that you were quoting my post that made it seem like a response to.... my post.

I don't disagree that whales have and advantage with gear, I'm just saying that once everyone's teams are maxed, guess who has the advantage?

The team with the best mods.
  • Options
    Collusion is a problem in arena. You do what you want, but there are ways to stay at the top in arena. G12 is less a factor IMO than collusion and +10 speed secondary mods.
  • Options
    "The top person, with an all maxed all zeta'd Zaul team, will immediately be G12 across the board."

I seriously doubt it. G12 will be bought for tokens of that new game mode. When will he have G12 depends not only on 7* chars, but depends very much on speed CG will allow us to acquire gear shards for new mode currency..

+ Thrawn is usable in G10 in arena of G11. Would it be unusable having G11 against all G12?

In the end gearing chosen arena team to G12 may take same time to you and to whale.
    You will have choice limited to 7* chars, many F2P teams are viable to 7*.

Ofc, when META changes, new toons arrive through events as 3 or 4*, that is when you will be screwed compared to whales.

This I see as intention of this change - increase whale advantage at new toon releases.
  • Options
    G12 was mentioned by the devs to be a massive jump
  • Options
    Bennehftw wrote: »
    G12 was mentioned by the devs to be a massive jump

Where was thus mentioned? I believe you, I'd just be curious to read what they said.
  • Options
    We're all making a lot of assumptions here based on very little information. Yes, he wrote paragraphs, but realistically, it's a small amount of information.

Here's what was said: "The new gear is a significant increase in the amount of Power from Gear Level XI and also increases your overall Galactic Power with each piece."

Does this mean a huge amount of protection/health gain? No, not necessarily. Keep in mind the way they calculate power has changed recently. Now it is an arbitrary number representing amount of upgrades on your character. THAT is the power that gets a significant increase. Especially as he mentions "increases your overall Galactic Power" very well sounds to me like the amount of power going into territory battles has a direct effect on the rewards gained, but even that is an assumption.

What we don't know yet is how it will affect the characters. This is something altogether new. It could give advantages in other ways. Perhaps a significant increase in tenacity to finally make tenacity a viable arena statistic? Who knows? Protection level could stay relatively the same.

Even if it follows the same as current gear level increases, my 6* Nihilus has 52k protection. unless it suddenly doubles everyone's offense, he's still going to be able to stick around, with, say, GK and Baze protecting him, long enough to perform an annihilate or two.

Gear 12 will give an extra edge, as it well should, and perhaps be interesting in that we can make better teams with a 7* gear 12 character than a 4* gear 11 character, which only makes sense and should probably have been the case in the first place. I doubt it will completely shut down everyone who doesn't have a 7* Nihilus yet.
  • Options
    Nihilist is probably still going to be a relevant character if only because of his other more relevant abilities.

Zetas locked behind a G12 maybe?

If it follows progression of X to XI in ratio, GXII could be a massive jump.
  • Options
    G12 gear is available in the territory battle store. Everyone in the guild gets the same rewards so the only people getting left behind are guilds that can't handle TB.
  • Zaraos
    771 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly i think this is the best thing to happen to the game in a long time in terms of how they are limiting g12 to 7* characters only. I never thought it was right that a 3* Baze or a 3* Nihlius could compete with teams that have full 7* meta characters. Top end arena should be 7* only on experienced shards. Just my opinion not everyone will agree and that's fine
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    In my opinion it G12 will not F2P, those who will be in trouble are the ones in disorganized guilds, and guilds with gold diggers who will hunt guilds who are better equipped to handle TB, F2P who are in decent guilds has nothing to fear
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    Wearesyke wrote: »
    I'm reasonably FTP, spent about $75 on this game. I save my crystals from arena payouts and buy gear with them. I'm in a small guild of friends, we don't do well. I'm ok with that.

I place top 20 everyday, sometimes top 10, and I got rank 2 payout a few days ago. The top 5 people in my shard are megawhales. The top person, with an all maxed all zeta'd Zaul team, will immediately be G12 across the board.

Since my DN is only 5*, and I'm not gonna pay $250 to get him to 7*, am I just out of luck? Being "FTP" in the top 10 of megawhales is the best feeling. I don't want to get riggity recked cause of G12.

Thoughts?

And what about GWs, some late nodes aren't much viable for many players at the moment so i don't want to face another Thrawn/Nihilus/GK/etc. with gear XII if i can barely gear my toons with gear XI (and don't have a GK yet btw).

One thing could help though, increasing raids rewards since you can achieve dozens of Haat and still won't have enough component to gear a single toon. Raiding is mandatory to gear your toons but it's (1) too much RNG (2) poor rewards especially compared to its difficulty/frequency.

as usual, balance, balance, balance.
  • crzydroid
    7384 posts Moderator
    Options
    G12 isn't so much a matter of ftp, but what kind of guild you are in.
  • Options
    Requiring 7* to be able to g12 is an incredibly anti ftp change. Think of all the characters released over the last 6-8 months that were immediately viable at 4* g11. If G12 is a substantial difference (as was mentioned), this means whales willing to drop $400+ for all the new pay characters will now potentially have year long significant advantages with those characters as opposed to a month or two (especially if those characters are slapped on a single hard node). By the time FTP (or even payers who are not going to pay that kind of ridiculous cash) are able to complete the 7* requirement, those toons will be long out of meta.

Giving whales an advantage without driving FTP away and ruining the game is a fine line to tread. Hopefully this change will not cross it.....
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    G12 isn't so much a matter of ftp, but what kind of guild you are in.

Precisely. Will whales dominate? Yes, as well they should. For a time. Then ftp will catch up. It's always been this way and it works well for both sides.