Does the Dark side matter?

Hi,

i was just thinking about the time i spend in this game and when i decided to focus on the dark side. At that time the droid squads where the top in the Arena. Than the meta shiftet as always and We had ben, Wedge, Rex and so on. But in the end i was thinking, are people in advantage who chose the light side at the start?

If you look it this way, even the events are mostly for the people who have already farmed light toons.

Joda Event - Jedi (Light)
Palp - Rebels (Light)
R2 - Empire (Dark)
Thrawn - Phoenix (Light)
Luke - Luke, Leia, Han, R2, Ben (Light)

So if you have Many light chars you can get all the good dark side from the events.

For the Hard Notes (Light) you get Baze (great for everything) Shore and Krennic.

On the other side if you go Hard Note (Dark) Darth Nihilus ( Great guy) Ewok Scout, Ghost and Phantom II

So even if you not interested in the Dark Side you can get the great chars very easy compared if you like them and dont have a good Rebel team for example.

This is not a whine thread i just want to discuss if other people see it the same way or maybe tell us experiences if its easier if we start to only focus on the light side.

But of course im worry if it continue like this in the future. For example if i read that we maybe need CLS for the next event. So new player should already focus only to farm the neccessary toons otherwise they cannot see all the new content?

Overall i like the game, hope everyone is well. :)

Sorry for my bad english/grammar, its not my nativ language.

Replies

• Gankak
    226 posts Member
    Options
    No it doesn't...
  • Options
    The thing is that you don't have to choose light side OR dark side, you can just level up a variety of characters. I prefer the dark side because I think they are cooler characters, but that doesn't mean I only farm dark side toons or even that I focus mostly on them, I focus on toons that are good. It does seem like there is a slight imbalance favoring light side, but it can't be ignored that some of the best characters in game are dark side: Thrawn, Nihilus; and also some characters that are no longer the best but still really great: Palpatine, Kylo, Boba. I just wish they would add some raids or events that are played from the dark side perspective.
  • Options
    Technically, you need dark toons to unlock Luke since you need R2.

On the other hand you need dark toons to unlock the zeta challenge.

But yeah the light side is clearly the bigger side, featuring not only the most toons by far, but also the strongest ones overall.
  • Options
    I have a feeling they will have a big presence when the new Star Wars comes out in December, expecting something with Knights of Ren.
  • Options
    I alos hope they will do that for the new movie in december. So we should farm some first order guys maybe
  • Options
    As of right now I'm making sure I have first order and resistance 7 starred. Around thanksgiving I will start boarding materials.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    More events from the dark side point of view would certainly be welcome, such as Anakin's descent towards darkness, or a raid against Echo Base.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i suggest you ignore DS entirely and see how well you fare. Probably not a whole lot better than if you ignore LS entirely.
    Anyway, the awnser is yes, dark side matters.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    "Joda".
  • Options
    The elite comps use nihilus and thrawn.... Both ds, and an all ls comp led by CL or any other ls comps doesn't change that.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    i suggest you ignore DS entirely and see how well you fare. Probably not a whole lot better than if you ignore LS entirely.
    Anyway, the awnser is yes, dark side matters.

This^^

The Devs have stated that one of the long term goals of the game is to make sure no one team can be used everywhere. They do this through factions, which if you look at factions there are more "incomplete" DS factions.

We have been told to look forward to a NS and separatist (hinted at, at least) faction pass.

I would also like to point out DS controls the credit heist, which is arguably one of the most important events. This is also one of the events that anyone asking for help is told to prep and build teams for.
  • Options
    I feel like the dark and the light are balanced, but not in the way you think. The light has more toons that are just super awesome and undeniably good (GK,R2,CLS,chaze,wiggs,etc.) and the rest are kinda bad,or only useful in a few areas (jawas, ewoks, pao, CW chewie, etc.). Then the dark side has some super good toons (zylo, nihilus, palp, boba, thrawn) but the most of the rest are very good, but not as good as some meta toons (b2, zader, sidious, krennic, tarkin, the imp troopers, etc.). I don't know if that changes much, but it's just how the balance seems
  • Options
    The Light Side generally gets more really absurdly good characters, but also a lot more 'meh' ones. When the DS actually gets a toon, it's usually always just good, with a few exceptions.

For example, Light Side has recently had CLS who is, mere days after release, the leader for the top three squads on my very old shard. He's obviously a very, very good character. Same goes for Rex, Chaze, GK, etc. etc.

However, they also got Bodhi Rook. K-2. Cassian. Chopper. Kanan. Those Ewoks everyone has already forgotten about.

On the other hand, look at the recent DS toons. GAT. Nihilus. Sith Assassin. Sith Trooper. Shore. Krennic. DN.

Apart from those two Mandalorians (I bet you can't tell me their names without looking it up), DS toons have been across-the-board fantastic recently. If we only had more of them, we might get a DS meta that lasts more than a couple weeks.

So, I'd argue the DS does matter, it just gets overshadowed by the sheer amount of LS releases.
  • Options
    The Light Side generally gets more really absurdly good characters, but also a lot more 'meh' ones. When the DS actually gets a toon, it's usually always just good, with a few exceptions.

For example, Light Side has recently had CLS who is, mere days after release, the leader for the top three squads on my very old shard. He's obviously a very, very good character. Same goes for Rex, Chaze, GK, etc. etc.

However, they also got Bodhi Rook. K-2. Cassian. Chopper. Kanan. Those Ewoks everyone has already forgotten about.

On the other hand, look at the recent DS toons. GAT. Nihilus. Sith Assassin. Sith Trooper. Shore. Krennic. DN.

Apart from those two Mandalorians (I bet you can't tell me their names without looking it up), DS toons have been across-the-board fantastic recently. If we only had more of them, we might get a DS meta that lasts more than a couple weeks.

So, I'd argue the DS does matter, it just gets overshadowed by the sheer amount of LS releases.

Hey now, Chopper and Kanan aren't terrible.....
  • Options

Hey now, Chopper and Kanan aren't terrible.....

They're pretty strongly in the 'meh' category, though.
  • Options
    I didnt say that the DS has no good charakter, bu if i want to farm Krennic i have noch chance if i dont have a good light side team for example. But as many people already say, its well known that the LS is a bit more in advance.

The thing is, this should not be a compare between LS and DS, its more about tht most content is more easy if you choose LS in the beginning or should i say if you focus your main ressources on them.
  • Options
    Thorus wrote: »
    I didnt say that the DS has no good charakter, bu if i want to farm Krennic i have noch chance if i dont have a good light side team for example. But as many people already say, its well known that the LS is a bit more in advance.

The thing is, this should not be a compare between LS and DS, its more about tht most content is more easy if you choose LS in the beginning or should i say if you focus your main ressources on them.

If I want to farm DN, I can't do it unless I have a good DS team. So your points is pretty ... pointless.
  • Options
    But if i want farm Baze, Shore and Krennic ? 3 to one dont sound that fair. I just hope it will be adjust in the future so that people who play dark side feel more inculded into the game like events and notes with good chars to unlock not only like now.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    But if i want farm Baze, Shore and Krennic ? 3 to one dont sound that fair. I just hope it will be adjust in the future so that people who play dark side feel more inculded into the game like events and notes with good chars to unlock not only like now.

you know what the problem with DS players is? That they exist.
    I've never once in all my time on this forum see a player identify him/herself as a LS player. There probably are quite a few players who prefer LS toons over DS toons, yet you don't hear them calling themselves LS players, or complain that they need a strong team to clear the DS missions, or complain about having to farm DS toons for events and mod challenges.
    I know, i know, if you prefer LS everything is easy so there's no reason to complain etc etc. But we all know that every LS player also needs DS toons to progress.
  • SolidStripes
    580 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I guess you could call me a light side player, as I really like jedi and rebels. However looking at my roster you would guess I'm a dark side player :D
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I would also like to point out DS controls the credit heist, which is arguably one of the most important events. This is also one of the events that anyone asking for help is told to prep and build teams for.

I just would like to point out that I run Lando, RaidHan, and STH in credit heist, 3 light side toons, and IG88 and BobaFett 2 dark side toons. But yeah theres more dark side scoundrels in game :)
  • Options
    Honestly with the Luke's release the dark side doesn't matter as much as it used too. zVader is next to useless now. Well, I guess he's still got that obscure p2 team with shaman Sid and phasma, but that's not too great. Grand maneuver you still need mostly dark side, Nihilus and thrawn are still good enough to be plug and play in arena. There's really not too many options for dark side in arena though, including shore, Tarkin, deathtrooper, krennic. Maybe first order, if you are really into giving 4 zetas to a still underwhelming arena squad. Nightsister, geonosians, bounty hunters, separatists are all utter garbage.
    Yeah, you need empire to get R2 but you're lying to yourself if you think light side and dark side is equal. Both raid reward toons are LS, 3 of the 5 legendary toons are LS, and 4 of the 5 squad comps needed for legendaries are LS.
  • Options
    Honestly with the Luke's release the dark side doesn't matter as much as it used too. zVader is next to useless now. Well, I guess he's still got that obscure p2 team with shaman Sid and phasma, but that's not too great. Grand maneuver you still need mostly dark side, Nihilus and thrawn are still good enough to be plug and play in arena. There's really not too many options for dark side in arena though, including shore, Tarkin, deathtrooper, krennic. Maybe first order, if you are really into giving 4 zetas to a still underwhelming arena squad. Nightsister, geonosians, bounty hunters, separatists are all utter garbage.
    Yeah, you need empire to get R2 but you're lying to yourself if you think light side and dark side is equal. Both raid reward toons are LS, 3 of the 5 legendary toons are LS, and 4 of the 5 squad comps needed for legendaries are LS.

You sir understand what i Wanted to say.
  • Options
    I think I accidentally joned the Dark side after i got DN. I used to be mostly Jedi since QGJ was the thrid toon I got (including Clone Sarge and Jedi), but have since shifted to Empire (kinda ( and Sith.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I just would like to point out that I run Lando, RaidHan, and STH in credit heist, 3 light side toons, and IG88 and BobaFett 2 dark side toons. But yeah theres more dark side scoundrels in game :)

Yeah, but those 3 + Chewie are (currently) the only LS scoundrels. If the top tier of the heist requires 5 scoundrels, you have to include a DS character. You don't have to include any LS characters, technically.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    This must be a really frustrating game for people who feel compelled to choose a side.
  • Options
    Its about focus. At One point you have some Chars on a higher Level and with better gs and mods. The Thing is, if this Chars a Light Side you have Access to more Content which give you more Chars for example. Of course this can still change.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Its about focus. At One point you have some Chars on a higher Level and with better gs and mods. The Thing is, if this Chars a Light Side you have Access to more Content which give you more Chars for example. Of course this can still change.

That's just plain wrong, not every LS character gives access to more content. Sure, more content is locked behind LS characters, but that's not the same thing.
    I'd also like to note that even if you prefer LS, you're still going to have to farm characters for events that you probably wouldn't have farmed if they weren't required. It's not like every LS character is somehow more usefull than a DS character.
    DS has always been part of the meta aswell for as long as i can remember. I think i've never had an arena team that wasn't mixed LS/DS.
    Obviously there are more LS characters in the game, you'll need more of them to unlock all the events than DS characters, more of them are rewards for legendary events and raids. These are just facts.
    I just don't get why DS-players always feel like they're getting shafted. It's not like the game magically becomes super easy or fun if you happen to like LS more than DS.
    I personally don't care whether a character is LS or DS, i just like the character or i don't. Sometimes i'm happy with the requirements for events, sometimes i dread having to farm the required characters (LS or DS).
  • Options
    @leef I think the ls vs ds stratification comes from other games and experience. A lot of players, myself included, are just used to DS vs LS. Some players naturally associate with one of the sides and like the heroes/characters better than the other.

What is different in this game is, LS and DS heroes are NOT balanced against each other. This means both sides don't have similar options. LS is leading in providing the better bang-bang-for-the-buck. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just that it is how it is.

Vader's zeta was useful in rancor. Now luke teams can solo it on auto too. Luke squad can solo p1 of haat with no escapes. Resistance and rebels preform excellent in p2 of haat and clones with Leia can easily solo p4. Ds now only has thrawn for p3 hour long solo or chirpatine. Currently, ls provides much more returns considering the same gear/resource requirements.

If this game made ls vs ds mandatory, then we could have arguments of DS players feeling abondoned. However, this isn't the case. The game doesn't care which heroes are selected for a majority of the game play. Some players will still try to use one faction over the other and that is understandable.