Realized Savage's new skill might not be so impressive?

Nonemo
1656 posts Member
Savage has been outfitted with an "instant kill button", doing 99,999 unavoidable damage to a toon at <25% HP.

At first I thought this was a really cool and powerful skill. I thought it would add some threat level to Savage, making his presence in a team more menacing.

Then I realized that the highest HP toons in the game only have some 20K HP. Meaning, any character who can do ~5K damage in one attack would finish them off. And the vast majority of toons have considerably less HP than that.

While evasion can be an issue, it usually isn't that big of a problem that you'd feel the need to include an extra character in your team, whose only real unique contribution to the team is ignoring evasion now and then.

I did farm Savage up to 6*, and I like him as a character. But despite the changes, I still suspect he'll remain at the bench for many players.

Am I missing something here? Are you using Savage in new and cool ways after the update? What does be bring to your team?

Replies

• Options
    He brings nothing. Pretty much anyone not named Bariss can kill someone at >25% hp.
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    Only benefit I guess would be getting the extra turn on a kill shot that most others dont get
  • Options
    Nope your not missing anything. I too was excited when they announced Savage would be dealing "Massive Damage" on his special. I was planning on farming him next in Arena, however I've changed plans and am now going after HK-47.

I personally think he would be a much more compelling character if his special was changed to under 50% HP instead of 25%.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    While 50% might be slightly OP, I certainly wouldn't mind them gearing that skill up a bit, if it's to be anything like they seemed to intend it to be.

But maybe they intend to change the meta soon, so that Evasion teams can be more viable? In that case Savage might be useful. Otherwise, not really...
  • Options
    It's hard to time.
    Maybe if the cool down was -1 for the finishing blow. But it is cool to see 99,999 damage flash on the screen
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    While 50% might be slightly OP, I certainly wouldn't mind them gearing that skill up a bit, if it's to be anything like they seemed to intend it to be.

But maybe they intend to change the meta soon, so that Evasion teams can be more viable? In that case Savage might be useful. Otherwise, not really...

It sounds OP but really isn't.

QGJ, Geo, IG-86, Rey, FOTP can all one shot characters with under 50% HP, heck even 70%.

However maybe a slight change from 50% to 40% would be more balanced considering his health pool.
  • Options
    One good thing: As the game continues to expand and characters' health bars continue to grow and grow, a percent health kill will become more useful. Think about going up against a "boss" in another game, and how much a percent health deduction would be better than a standard health deduction.
  • Options
    Need to be creative in setting it up, kind of like Ventress. They have really cool ability that if you think outside the box can be very strategic.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I realized it as soon as I saw.
    Needs to be 33% at least, otherwise every other attacker can kill 25% HP too. Rex does especial damage +20%, regardless of the tsrget hp. Same with Finn (expose, 20%) or Resistance Pilot (expose, 20%).

Only thing this skill has, is being unavoidable under 25%hp But others have that, without restrictions
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    BatuKhan wrote: »
    One good thing: As the game continues to expand and characters' health bars continue to grow and grow, a percent health kill will become more useful. Think about going up against a "boss" in another game, and how much a percent health deduction would be better than a standard health deduction.

That's true! Savage could be GREAT for a PvE challenge like the Yoda one. Unless they decide to make his special attack inexplicably resistable in PvE.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Need to be creative in setting it up, kind of like Ventress. They have really cool ability that if you think outside the box can be very strategic.

But why use Savage when for instance Luminara, Dooku (at 7*), the Glass cannons and the droids, any character that calls in allies, Maul, etc, all can do ~3-5K damage already, which is the max amount that Savage's skill will actually do?
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    A guy on Line just mentioned that Savage does about 7-9K damage with his special on critting, with offense up. Savage would likely have offense up almost always. This is on regular attacks, not when opponent is <25%.

That's very decent damage for a tank I think. Maybe he's worthy after all?
  • Options

But why use Savage when for instance Luminara, Dooku (at 7*), the Glass cannons and the droids, any character that calls in allies, Maul, etc, all can do ~3-5K damage already, which is the max amount that Savage's skill will actually do?

I don't use him, I was pointing out an option for ones that seek to and pointing out the positive.

Not sure what shard you are on, but Maul is not viable on mine. He is a 1 hit kill even maxed out. Neither big hit droid ever gets a shot off on me.

I was pointing out they have strategic use on his special mate. His HP is high enough you will not 1 shot him. I can 1 shot your droids and your Lumi, and 1 shot Maul with a lot to spare. I love facing glass cannons. The fight ends in under a minute as they shatter.

The OP did not ask about using him over others, they asked about his special not being good. FYI Lumi and Dooku will not kill Barriss, Kylo, 5's, Opress, Initiate and a few others that are at 25% that is still 4-6k range, sorry mate but they won't, I know I have and use them daily. Your glass cannons will be dead by the time they get there. He is useful, like Ventress in Mopup. Not to say I'd ever put him on my arena team, but there is more than arena. In GW a huge HP guy that hits decent with a wicked finish ability and ok speed is pretty handy. I'd love to 1 hit 5's at 25% to avoid the pesky counters, love to 1 hit Ren at 25% to avoid a wicked outrage, but by the point in GW I'm to those cats I'm trying to reset cooldowns for next fight, so why waste a Lumi FB or even GS special when I can use Opress who could have it reset by next time I need it in the next fight? Also that huge HP for Barriss heal, handy. Like I said need to think creative. Everyone thinks oh the glass cannons oh the cookie cutter must haves. I'm sorry but FOTP in GW post patch is a liability. You need to blow heals to keep the slow guy alive. At least given the teams I face there you do.
  • Options
    A guy on Line just mentioned that Savage does about 7-9K damage with his special on critting, with offense up. Savage would likely have offense up almost always. This is on regular attacks, not when opponent is <25%.

That's very decent damage for a tank I think. Maybe he's worthy after all?

I left mine at 50 and 4* gear 5. I raised him to 60, gear 6 and tossed him in GW and challenges I crit with Offense up, which he often had at 2700-3800, that is only 60 not 70 and gear 6 not 7. I plan to work him up to 70 5* gear 7 or 8 and see. You need to minimum see a toon at 5* gear 7 to see their performance. I took Kylo there, and Luke and decided others could get priority lIke GS and Dooku.
  • Options
    Dude the attack is OP
  • Options
    Use him in challenges and he really starts to shine on those huge hp bosses. I can also see him being useful in getting 3* on DS hard missions. He may not be viable in high end arena, but he isn't useless.
  • Options
    I agree the 25% life threshold is quite bad. As someone pointed out Rex special is 20% hp on hit. Overpower could be (Skill damage + 25% of the targets max hp, unavoidable) at all times.
  • Options
    The hit power just looks cool but the best part is if the oponent is at 25% or lower there is no chance for a block. 100% Your dead no matter what.
  • Options
    It's great for pve when bosses have 80k hp 25% for them is still 20k hp and he is certain to finish them