The New Meta... And Anit-Meta

Prev1
It's becoming clear, at least in my shard, that the team to beat is a CLS-led crit-heavy Rebel team. It doesn't really matter if it's Raid Han, Leia, Fulcrum, or Wiggs (or some combination), generally with R2 and GK. Especially difficult if this team is loaded with lots of speed.

I've done some testing with my own Rebels and CLS lead and it's clear I don't have enough speed to beat them at their own game. And in comes Rex as the anti-meta. He's not the team to beat anymore, but he remains as a strong anti-meta (and maybe he always will be). GK is a requirement, as well, to handle the incoming crits by handing out Crit Immunity and taking the heat away from your damage dealers.

For me, the rest of the team fills out nicely with Thrawn, Nihilus, and zeta'ed FOST. I get the feeling that FOST gives me a nice hand up in the current environment as a high defense tank that can hand out defense up to the team, take some heat off of GK with his taunt, self-cleanse, dispel buffs when he has advantage.

Against the CLS teams I usually lose GK and FOST, or they get worn down, but they give me enough time to take out the rest of the team. Thrawn's Fracture is especially powerful to reduce incoming DPS, as well as his protection heal and the ability to make Nihilus go faster when needed.

Have you found a good response to fast CLS teams?

Replies

• Options
    Dretzle wrote: »
    It's becoming clear, at least in my shard, that the team to beat is a CLS-led crit-heavy Rebel team. It doesn't really matter if it's Raid Han, Leia, Fulcrum, or Wiggs (or some combination), generally with R2 and GK. Especially difficult if this team is loaded with lots of speed.

I've done some testing with my own Rebels and CLS lead and it's clear I don't have enough speed to beat them at their own game. And in comes Rex as the anti-meta. He's not the team to beat anymore, but he remains as a strong anti-meta (and maybe he always will be). GK is a requirement, as well, to handle the incoming crits by handing out Crit Immunity and taking the heat away from your damage dealers.

For me, the rest of the team fills out nicely with Thrawn, Nihilus, and zeta'ed FOST. I get the feeling that FOST gives me a nice hand up in the current environment as a high defense tank that can hand out defense up to the team, take some heat off of GK with his taunt, self-cleanse, dispel buffs when he has advantage.

Against the CLS teams I usually lose GK and FOST, or they get worn down, but they give me enough time to take out the rest of the team. Thrawn's Fracture is especially powerful to reduce incoming DPS, as well as his protection heal and the ability to make Nihilus go faster when needed.

Have you found a good response to fast CLS teams?

CLS Thrawn r-2 Leia Raid Han. Your raid Han will carry you through your poorer mods.
  • Options

CLS Thrawn r-2 Leia Raid Han. Your raid Han will carry you through your poorer mods.

right now are han tie breaks decided by rng or speed?
  • Options
    I'm having trouble figuring out how Rex can be anti meta and meta at the same time. My mind is not handling this info well
  • Options
    Can Threx be the anti-meta when it was already the meta?

My shard is still all Rex/GK/R2/Nihilus/Thrawn.
  • Options
    Weird
  • Keldo
    364 posts Member
    Options
    I'm running Rex, CLS (two Zeta), R2 (two Zeta), Nihilus and GK.

Seems to work ok. Managed 1st last night and top 4 consistently
  • Options
    ReyCharles wrote: »
    I'm having trouble figuring out how Rex can be anti meta and meta at the same time. My mind is not handling this info well

Rex is not the meta any longer, at least not on my shard. CLS Rebels teams are. But Rex can help you overcome them. Rex has a long history of going back and forth between being the meta and being the anti-meta.

And "meta" in this game, as I have noticed, tends to mean "the popular powerful team that is the team to beat". CLS Rebel teams are now the "team to beat", and Rex can help you do so.
  • Options
    Keldo wrote: »

I was thinking of subbing in CLS instead of my Nihilus when I get a zeta or two on him
  • Keldo
    364 posts Member
    Options
    Keldo wrote: »

I was thinking of subbing in CLS instead of my Nihilus when I get a zeta or two on him

I subbed out Thrawn for him. Suppose I could take dn out for Thrawn depending on who I was facing and what I needed.
  • Options

RNG
  • Options

Rex is not the meta any longer, at least not on my shard. CLS Rebels teams are. But Rex can help you overcome them. Rex has a long history of going back and forth between being the meta and being the anti-meta.

And "meta" in this game, as I have noticed, tends to mean "the popular powerful team that is the team to beat". CLS Rebel teams are now the "team to beat", and Rex can help you do so.

I am just not going to get into this right now, or at all actually
  • Options
    Rex because of the TM gain if crit'ed obviously. Rex (l), CLS, R2, GK, Thrawn would be a great team against full rebel
  • Options
    Wouldn't Thrawn lead be considered an anti-meta?

Maybe the best CLS squads have yet to hit my shard yet but I have yet to lose to one in offense.

Shoretrooper is a must with his crit immunity.

From the feedback in my shard chat, classic triple cleanse Rex teams a
  • Options

Well, you see, the meta was debuff teams. So, to counter that, people began running Rex, the anti-meta. More and more people joined this anti-meta wave, until a majority of players were using the anti-meta.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Bait taken. At some point given the longevity of Rex lead being whatever you want to call it, you have to consider him the meta leader. Or don't makes no difference to me. But saying that the dude who has been the most prevalent and effective leader for so long is a direct counter for the new supposed meta, means that quite literally nothing has changed.... ugh I hate these discussions. Feel free to respond or don't. I think I will keep using Rex
  • Options
    Wouldn't Thrawn lead be considered an anti-meta?

Maybe the best CLS squads have yet to hit my shard yet but I have yet to lose to one in offense.

Shoretrooper is a must with his crit immunity.

From the feedback in my shard chat, classic triple cleanse Rex teams a

Actually, yes, I've heard that's a viable alternative. There's another player on my shard that runs a Thrawn team with Shoretrooper, GK, Nihilus, and Deathtrooper that also deals with the CLS Rebel teams quite well. Most of the rest on my shard have issues beating them.
  • Options
    Bait taken. At some point given the longevity of Rex lead being whatever you want to call it, you have to consider him the meta leader. Or don't makes no difference to me. But saying that the dude who has been the most prevalent and effective leader for so long is a direct counter for the new supposed meta, means that quite literally nothing has changed.... ugh I hate these discussions. Feel free to respond or don't. I think I will keep using Rex

Yes, it would appear that he flips back and forth.

To me it comes down to how you define "the meta". And in fact "the meta" can be different per shard. That's part of what playing the meta, means. You notice certain teams being run on your shard and instead of coming up with the "theoretically 'best' team", you come up with a team that can fight (and possibly defend) well against the teams you face.

In fact, if there was to be an argument here, I'd argue that Rex previously wasn't "the meta", but triple cleanse was, with Rex being the best leader of that group. And an even larger look, it was really Chaze as the meta, with the triple cleanse as the best/most popular setup with Chaze. I'd argue last month that Thrawn was "the meta" as he was the most popular character on the most powerful teams.

When people like to analyze "the meta" they look at the most popular leaders. Rex is always high on the list because he's still and has been for some time the best "no synergy" leader, that is, the best leader of a team that wasn't built around a particular faction, like sith, empire, and now rebels, and helps people that don't have the speed of others.

But I can see both views. If Rex is popular among those that I have described as "not meta", then Rex is the team you have to keep in mind when building a non-Rex team.

But I think we both can agree that Zaul is no longer "the meta" :)
  • Options
    you said it yourself - crit based team. the anti meta is Zarris with tanks. GK (L)+ Zarris and the kenobi shouldnt even be killed. you can add Old Ben and fives for the lolz with it. you will have hard time to win on offense, but hey, you'll barely lose on defense ! (vs that type of teams)
  • Options
    ZaulLover wrote: »
    you said it yourself - crit based team. the anti meta is Zarris with tanks. GK (L)+ Zarris and the kenobi shouldnt even be killed. you can add Old Ben and fives for the lolz with it. you will have hard time to win on offense, but hey, you'll barely lose on defense ! (vs that type of teams)

Agree 100% - CD immunity with zThrawn as well is batting 1.000% so far
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options

RNG is the tiebreaker.
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    Various (smart) compositions with zBarriss have been really difficult for me to beat with the meta teams.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    Gk lead Zarris Dn Thrawn R2 beats the toughest of the cls lead rebels for me and I hardly ever lose a toon. Smokescreen before you do dn aoes for safety lol. Use all out attacks on zhan he goes down pretty fast.
  • Options
    rex, gk, r2, dn, zeta han. not best on defense, but on offense i can beat anybody
  • usho1
    363 posts Member
    Options
    Zaul, Gk.
  • Options
    zzThrawn lead, Storm, Shore, zDT, Krennic beat every CLS squad on ofense. Thanks to AI Krennic isnt good enough on defense.. Get top3 every day and stay top20 with this Team.
  • Options

To me it comes down to how you define "the meta". And in fact "the meta" can be different per shard. That's part of what playing the meta, means. You notice certain teams being run on your shard and instead of coming up with the "theoretically 'best' team", you come up with a team that can fight (and possibly defend) well against the teams you face.

In fact, if there was to be an argument here, I'd argue that Rex previously wasn't "the meta", but triple cleanse was, with Rex being the best leader of that group. And an even larger look, it was really Chaze as the meta, with the triple cleanse as the best/most popular setup with Chaze. I'd argue last month that Thrawn was "the meta" as he was the most popular character on the most powerful teams.

When people like to analyze "the meta" they look at the most popular leaders. Rex is always high on the list because he's still and has been for some time the best "no synergy" leader, that is, the best leader of a team that wasn't built around a particular faction, like sith, empire, and now rebels, and helps people that don't have the speed of others.

But I can see both views. If Rex is popular among those that I have described as "not meta", then Rex is the team you have to keep in mind when building a non-Rex team.

But Rex is the most popular leader, so by your standards, Rex is meta.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options

But Rex is the most popular leader, so by your standards, Rex is meta.

If you read to the bottom of my post, then you saw that I said I can see both ways of looking at it, yes?
  • Options
    usho1 wrote: »
    Zaul, Gk.

I fought a couple Zaul teams with my CLS-led Rebels. They fall even faster than before. Since R2 is on most or all CLS teams, I don't think Zaul is the answer.
  • Options
    It's funny that you are saying Rex leads are a good counter to CLS, because I was reading in another thread how CLS leads are going to chase Rex out of the arena what with the TM gain when debuffs get resisted and all.

Honestly, I see Zaul teams making a comeback if CLS gets pretty prevalent. Stealth and AoE daze are two pretty big counters to counterattacks.
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not really... R2 cleansing Zeta makes that aoe daze very short lasting. Not to mention GK included mostly.. +Zaul actually does NOT attack from stealth. It unstealthes, gets advantage and attacks - and is countered. Only exception - Sith Assassin.