Time to do something about the time (consumption)

Hi

First of, great news about the Territory Battles, really hyped for them.

BUT (there is always a but)

The issue of time spent on the game have been everywhere on the forums for months. The QoL patch gave us a little breather, but more is needed.

Below is my estimates describing time consumption for high level players that is average or more serious about the game:
  • GW - takes from 10-45 minutes each day
  • Arena takes from 5-20 minutes each day
  • Ships takes from 5-15 minutes each day
  • Shops, challenges, Cantina, campaigns etc takes 10 minutes each day
  • Rancor raid takes from a few (auto) to 60 minutes 2-3 times a week
  • AAT takes 30-120 minutes 2 times a week

This combines into a whole lot of time each day (1+ hour). Good time, but still a lot of time.

There is several easy ways to cut down on this.
  • GW - Make this SIMable in one way or the other. It could cost something, ally points or whatever (not crystal though). In this way it is still better to play it, but we wont feel as forced to do it as now.
  • Arena/Ships - Make it SIMable - some of us do not play the game with Arena in mind
  • Make it easier to move from connected areas to others. Example from challenges <-> Ship Challenges <-> Shops etc. We all need to visit the same places several times each day to make our dailies, make it easier for us to do the chores. Perhaps even add a "daily tour" button that make it easy.
  • Rancor raid could be made semi SIMable. If we solo the raid fx 5 times in a row, we unlock the sim option. Then you could add a limit on how many times we can SIM it before needing to prove we still have the team (only important if you change the raid or the toons like with the Zader fix).

Things like the ones above would improve the satisfaction with the game, give us time to have fun with the elements we prefer and make room for new stuff (which we all crave).

Replies

• Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    Totally +1!

You forgot the elephant in the room: Swapping mods to a new team (and probably either back to where they came from, or backfill the toons they were taken off from), including researching which mods to actually use: 30 min.

So I remember the early days of HAAT, 4-5 teams, all of them sharing variations on the same few mods = hours on end of looking for mods, useless confirmation buttons, etc.

I can totally see Territory Battles (use your whole roster!) going down that slippery slope (and hopefully I'm wrong!)

On challenges: Just remove them altogether, they serve no purpose anymore.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    This is a joke right? SIMMING ARENA?! Honestly why am I even taking the time to write this?
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    This is a joke right? SIMMING ARENA?! Honestly why am I even taking the time to write this?

I hope he means autoing but without the graphical output? :)
  • Options
    Naw wrote: »

Well then he phrased it very poorly because sims never lose the battle. It also requires a 3* completion... So he's asking if we can beat an arena team without losing anyone to just be able to sim him and steal his place?
  • Options
    Naw wrote: »

If you are right, then it makes more sense but the number of things he's suggesting you to be able to Sim... what's the point of even playing the game?
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    GW - takes 30 seconds to retreat if you can't be bothered
    Arena/Ships - takes 30 seconds to retreat if you can't be bothered
    Raids - takes 30 seconds to tag if you can't be bothered
  • Options
    Olga wrote: »
    GW - takes 30 seconds to retreat if you can't be bothered
    Arena/Ships - takes 30 seconds to retreat if you can't be bothered

Exactly.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    It only takes 10 seconds to leave the guild
    It only takes 10 seconds for leader/officers to kick/boot/salt the "can't be bothered"

I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, and then you're free to find a worthwhile guild so it's win/win.
  • Options
    Hi

The issue of time spent on the game have been everywhere on the forums for months. The QoL patch gave us a little breather, but more is needed.

Below is my estimates describing time consumption for high level players that is average or more serious about the game:

This combines into a whole lot of time each day (1+ hour). Good time, but still a lot of time.

• GW - Make this SIMable in one way or the other. It could cost something, ally points or whatever (not crystal though). In this way it is still better to play it, but we wont feel as forced to do it as now.
    • Arena/Ships - Make it SIMable - some of us do not play the game with Arena in mind
    • Make it easier to move from connected areas to others. Example from challenges <-> Ship Challenges <-> Shops etc. We all need to visit the same places several times each day to make our dailies, make it easier for us to do the chores. Perhaps even add a "daily tour" button that make it easy.
    • Rancor raid could be made semi SIMable. If we solo the raid fx 5 times in a row, we unlock the sim option. Then you could add a limit on how many times we can SIM it before needing to prove we still have the team (only important if you change the raid or the toons like with the Zader fix).

Things like the ones above would improve the satisfaction with the game, give us time to have fun with the elements we prefer and make room for new stuff (which we all crave).

you're kidding!
    GW: maybe make is easier but not a SIM.
    Arena: NO, arena is IMPORTANT.
    rancor raid: yep
  • Options
    LOL really complaining about it taking an hour out of your day??? Seriously?? Most people that play any sort of video games spend at least an hour I would think. Lol Simming arena and GW. If you don't wanna play then don't.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Hi

I’m starting to agree. They need to do something about gw to at least make it faster. And honestly, that’s dependent on it TB is going to be an ongoing/always open thing. If it’s once a month, once every couple of weeks thing then any time sink might not be so bad. I do know that when we had tournaments every couple of weeks my interest in gw went way down. That was when I decided to start using just one team. Before that I was having fun with gw.

You cannot make arena and ships simable.

Imo, part of the reason CLS is so amazing at rancor is so that long time players who have played rancor since forever ago don’t have to spend so much time on it. Most people in my position can just hit auto again and be done with it. No need to sim it if you’ve been around a while. If you haven’t then you should probably be working at rancor raid. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Something that would be very easy to do to reduce a little bit of time, would be to stop all of the forced animations, like in guild raids. We have all seen the rancor and aat intros a billion times!
  • Options
    Not sure what this posts about? Do you want to play this game or not? GW and Arena are the only real game play content. If you don't want to play those, then why are you even playing this game?

Here's a time saver suggesion: Get rid of the timer on challenges. I don't see a need for a clock between completing the challenge and starting another one. Should just be like credit heist.
  • Options
    +1
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, and then you're free to find a worthwhile guild so it's win/win.
    My point is that the "can't be bothered" usually has a weak roster and with TB comming, guilds start looking at the roster, not just can you deliver 600 tickets a day, so your win/win scenario is how it has been for awhile, but is likely to change, I even think some guilds goes thanks for the tickets but your roster sucks goodbye
    We created a guild for the "can't be bothered" as we like to keep them around, they might bother someday
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum...I'm looking forward to territory battles because after an hour or so I have all the daily stuff complete and there's nothing to do! I can see simplifying the mod cataloging / swapping or having mod kits that can be assigned ... but if you don't want to spend the time on the game then don't.
  • Options
    Unemployed people who spend three hours a day playing this game seem to have a strong disdain for those who ask for improvements that decrease the marginal utility of playing that second and third hour.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Unemployed people who spend three hours a day playing this game seem to have a strong disdain for those who ask for improvements that decrease the marginal utility of playing that second and third hour.

Spread your play out over the day, there's nothing forcing people to do 12 notes of GW all at once
    I have crazy work hours and a family still I manage to do it anyway plus I can't take a "Bathroom Break" at work
  • Options
    Let me clarify my use of the word 'SIM'. It is obvious not instant completion/win in arena/ships. In retrospect I should have used a different phrase like 'instant auto'. Sorry for the confusion.

It is not about not wanting to play the game, but you cannot ignore that the time requirement of the game keeps increasing. And it is one thing to spend X hours on a computer game for a day or each day for a week, it is something completely different to be forced* to do it each day months after months.

* If you want to play successfully, not completing everything all the time is not an option.

I have won 6.219 GW battles to this day - they are not fun any more. Just because some of you think one part of the game is fun or essential, that doesn't mean all of us do.
    I'm mostly into collecting, micromanagement (i like to optimize my mods that does not mean I would disapprove of a better mod module), AAT raid strategy and being a very active leader of my guild. As I also have a job and a family that leaves me with to little time to do everything in the game. So I tried to look for solutions outside the famous box.The ideas might not all work, but please help by making constructive feedback to the devs regarding this issue - or if you don't think it is an issue, simple state so or ignore the thread all together. Simply criticising mine of other's ideas doesn't accomplice anything. :)

Besides: I would wager that any suggestion of SIM'ing Challenges or Campaign would have met a similar responds in this game's early days B)
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Ztyle wrote: »

Spread your play out over the day, there's nothing forcing people to do 12 notes of GW all at once
    I have crazy work hours and a family still I manage to do it anyway plus I can't take a "Bathroom Break" at work

They don’t let you go to the bathroom? That’s terrible!

• Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options

Really??? Arena??? That's not going to happen, and I think it's a terrible idea
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum...I'm looking forward to territory battles because after an hour or so I have all the daily stuff complete and there's nothing to do! I can see simplifying the mod cataloging / swapping or having mod kits that can be assigned ... but if you don't want to spend the time on the game then don't.

Me too, but there are people that don't have time
  • Options
    Hskull55 wrote: »

I know! It makes no sense at all! What decides whether you can sim a certain team? Especially since mods get switched around sometimes which can really effect the team- do you still just get to sim if you beat the team once?
  • TroelsVastrup
    182 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I know! It makes no sense at all! What decides whether you can sim a certain team? Especially since mods get switched around sometimes which can really effect the team- do you still just get to sim if you beat the team once?

Please read my clarifying post above. Thx.

Spoiler: I meant "instant auto".
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options

Please read my clarifying post above instead of just assuming people a ****.Thx.

What I understood of that claryfing post is that you want an auto mode, but that takes no time, is that your suggestion? (I don't like it, but that's only my opinion)
  • Options
    Ok so what kind of a game is this? I play to play not just to look at all my toons. ;)