Suggestion: Thermal Detonator Rework

As the game mechanics stand right now, thermal detonators (TDs) do not offer a truly viable and competitive game play mechanic. They take way too long to set up, and squad synergies around TDs are not up to par with other squads (see Resistance squad synergy). I love playing the resistance squad not only because I can do very well with them, but the strategy of having to control TM by choosing who I have to attack is brilliant, and I think TDs can see a similar viable strategy put in place. While I feel that a TD synergy would only help to improve upon what I'm going to propose, I'm going to avoid altering abilities/synergies/leadership roles to see if there is any positive response.

Thermal detonators are a potentially fantastic gameplay mechanic, but currently are just too easy to ignore. What I would like to see is a mechanic introduced that allows for a more involved strategy on both the attacker and defender. To start, TDs need to be treated for what they are: grenades. As anyone can tell you, aside from the odd dud, a grenade will explode once thrown. In line with that, currently TDs can simply be cleansed with no penalty, and simply remove the threat that TDs would pose. This means that from a game play standpoint, a cleanser can simply remove any build up of TDs put in play and the mechanic is simply trumped from the start. So instead, have TDs explode when they are cleansed.

Sound a little OP? Maybe, but a change to when TDs explode is also required. Right now, TDs explode after two turns. But what about changing what can trigger a TD to explode? Instead of having a set number of turns to explode, or exploding on a cleanse, have TDs remain indefinetly, and explode if triggered by abilities that currently do so (see Detonating Shot) as well as any special abilities used by the debuffed character. For example, if Darth Nihilus has an TD debuff and he uses his basic, the TD debuff remains. If he uses his specials, the TD explodes.

On top of that, have the TD debuff have an additional effect other than just exploding when triggered. Lets say each TD debuff reduces the speed of the debuffed character by 2%, or 5%. Since TDs can be stacked, simply ignoring the TDs early on can be detrimental to the overall performance of the team.

Now for a counter. If TDs explode when cleansed, or a special ability is used, how do you counter TDs? With tanks. If a character taunts, then all TD debuffs are transferred to the taunter. This allows the other characters to regain their original speed and are free to use special abilities, but that tank will now eat a lot of TDs when they are triggered.

They idea behind this suggestion isn't to make thermal detonators the new meta. It's simply to bring the mechanic into a viable role within GW or possibly arena. I just felt that once a TD is thrown (put into play and not resisted) it should explode irregardless. The only major issue I see is the AI (as it is now) not responding properly to this new mechanic.

TLDR:
Thermal detonators: Inflict debuff that doesn't expire. Slow target by 2-5% per debuff. Explode when triggered, cleansed, or debuffed character uses a special ability.
When a character taunts, all TDs are transferred to the taunter.

Replies

• Options
    In your post, replace "Thermal Detonators" with "characters other than Rebels". Then you have a pretty accurate reflection on the current state of the game. I'll start you off....

As the game mechanics stand right now, characters other than Rebels do not offer a truly viable and competitive game play mechanic. They take way too long to set up, and squad synergies around characters other than Rebels are not up to par with other squads (see Resistance squad synergy). I love playing the resistance squad not only because I can do very well with them, but the strategy of having to control TM by choosing who I have to attack is brilliant, and I think characters other than Rebels can see a similar viable strategy put in place. While I feel that characters other than Rebels synergy would only help to improve upon what I'm going to propose, I'm going to avoid altering abilities/synergies/leadership roles to see if there is any positive response.
    Characters other than Rebels are a potentially fantastic gameplay mechanic, but currently are just too easy to ignore.
  • Options
    Agreed! Especially when you have up to 6 TD up and have your jawa detonate they barely do more damage than having 1 or 2.

• Options
    KyleKatarn wrote: »
    In your post, replace "Thermal Detonators" with "characters other than Rebels". Then you have a pretty accurate reflection on the current state of the game. I'll start you off....

As the game mechanics stand right now, characters other than Rebels do not offer a truly viable and competitive game play mechanic. They take way too long to set up, and squad synergies around characters other than Rebels are not up to par with other squads (see Resistance squad synergy). I love playing the resistance squad not only because I can do very well with them, but the strategy of having to control TM by choosing who I have to attack is brilliant, and I think characters other than Rebels can see a similar viable strategy put in place. While I feel that characters other than Rebels synergy would only help to improve upon what I'm going to propose, I'm going to avoid altering abilities/synergies/leadership roles to see if there is any positive response.
    Characters other than Rebels are a potentially fantastic gameplay mechanic, but currently are just too easy to ignore.

Hahaha this made my day!
  • Options

While I agree on a fundamental level that rebels are currently front and center of the meta, You have to consider that given the current state of both the games and movie releases, it makes sense for rebels to be meta. The most recent movie had a ton of rebels in it, and while resistance and first order are up and coming, I'm sure the devs have something in place for them already with episode VIII coming out. As for the game, they have the battle for Hoth coming which was focused on rebels. It would be pointless to revamp Sith or anyone else aside from Empire seeing as Vader was the only sith to step foot on Hoth (in the movies, if any others did within canon I'm not sure) and we aren't fighting as the Empire. So again, rebels being meta make sense.

What I'm trying to do is focus on one game mechanic that is currently broken, suggest a fix, and do so in plenty of time for a potential update that would see a vast improvement of characters (ie Han Solo movie next year).

Simply crying about one faction being OP and not suggesting any feasible fixes accomplishes nothing except degrading the creative potential of this thread.

But props for finding a simple way to alter what I had written.
  • Options
    FourSe7en wrote: »
    As the game mechanics stand right now, thermal detonators (TDs) do not offer a truly viable and competitive game play mechanic. They take way too long to set up, and squad synergies around TDs are not up to par with other squads (see Resistance squad synergy). I love playing the resistance squad not only because I can do very well with them, but the strategy of having to control TM by choosing who I have to attack is brilliant, and I think TDs can see a similar viable strategy put in place. While I feel that a TD synergy would only help to improve upon what I'm going to propose, I'm going to avoid altering abilities/synergies/leadership roles to see if there is any positive response.

Thermal detonators are a potentially fantastic gameplay mechanic, but currently are just too easy to ignore. What I would like to see is a mechanic introduced that allows for a more involved strategy on both the attacker and defender. To start, TDs need to be treated for what they are: grenades. As anyone can tell you, aside from the odd dud, a grenade will explode once thrown. In line with that, currently TDs can simply be cleansed with no penalty, and simply remove the threat that TDs would pose. This means that from a game play standpoint, a cleanser can simply remove any build up of TDs put in play and the mechanic is simply trumped from the start. So instead, have TDs explode when they are cleansed.

Sound a little OP? Maybe, but a change to when TDs explode is also required. Right now, TDs explode after two turns. But what about changing what can trigger a TD to explode? Instead of having a set number of turns to explode, or exploding on a cleanse, have TDs remain indefinetly, and explode if triggered by abilities that currently do so (see Detonating Shot) as well as any special abilities used by the debuffed character. For example, if Darth Nihilus has an TD debuff and he uses his basic, the TD debuff remains. If he uses his specials, the TD explodes.

On top of that, have the TD debuff have an additional effect other than just exploding when triggered. Lets say each TD debuff reduces the speed of the debuffed character by 2%, or 5%. Since TDs can be stacked, simply ignoring the TDs early on can be detrimental to the overall performance of the team.

Now for a counter. If TDs explode when cleansed, or a special ability is used, how do you counter TDs? With tanks. If a character taunts, then all TD debuffs are transferred to the taunter. This allows the other characters to regain their original speed and are free to use special abilities, but that tank will now eat a lot of TDs when they are triggered.

They idea behind this suggestion isn't to make thermal detonators the new meta. It's simply to bring the mechanic into a viable role within GW or possibly arena. I just felt that once a TD is thrown (put into play and not resisted) it should explode irregardless. The only major issue I see is the AI (as it is now) not responding properly to this new mechanic.

TLDR:
    Thermal detonators: Inflict debuff that doesn't expire. Slow target by 2-5% per debuff. Explode when triggered, cleansed, or debuffed character uses a special ability.
    When a character taunts, all TDs are transferred to the taunter.

Pretty accurate, here is an older thread of mine about TDs

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/118316/thermal-detonator-rework-idea#latest
  • Options

Hahaha this made my day!

Thank you for realising my attempt at humour. Figured I would give myself a laugh and be quietly ignored ;-)

On-topic, I agree that Thermal Detonators should not behave like a regular debuff. You can
    FourSe7en wrote: »

While I agree on a fundamental level that rebels are currently front and center of the meta, You have to consider that given the current state of both the games and movie releases, it makes sense for rebels to be meta. The most recent movie had a ton of rebels in it, and while resistance and first order are up and coming, I'm sure the devs have something in place for them already with episode VIII coming out. As for the game, they have the battle for Hoth coming which was focused on rebels. It would be pointless to revamp Sith or anyone else aside from Empire seeing as Vader was the only sith to step foot on Hoth (in the movies, if any others did within canon I'm not sure) and we aren't fighting as the Empire. So again, rebels being meta make sense.

What I'm trying to do is focus on one game mechanic that is currently broken, suggest a fix, and do so in plenty of time for a potential update that would see a vast improvement of characters (ie Han Solo movie next year).

Simply crying about one faction being OP and not suggesting any feasible fixes accomplishes nothing except degrading the creative potential of this thread.

But props for finding a simple way to alter what I had written.

It was a joke mate. Nobody's crying, nobody's having a drama. Just a laugh. For what it's worth I actually agree with your points re TDs. I've long felt they deserved different treatment from a standard debuff. Apologies if you felt I was taking the mick out of you or trying to have a whinge about something - really not the case.

• Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    I suggested this a long time ago but it wouldn't be a guaranteed explosion on cleanse (sometimes bomb disposal teams disarm them). I said give it a 60% chance to explode.

Other than that, agree on reworking TDs a bit
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Easy solution: TDs do massive damage...
    N°1 using Greedo, Zam and 3 tanks
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]