To 7* or to not 7*?

Hey guys, I'm just 2 shards away from my first 6 star character (Luminara).
Some of my characters are pretty weak though and are difficult to farm;

4* JC
4* QGJ
5* Sidious
5* GS

I'm still a new player only lvl 52 and I'm not sure if I should 7* or not.

I've heard that once you get your first 7* GW becomes very difficult.
I've also been unable to do a lot of tier 2 challenges due to lack of roster. I fail the tank tier 2 challenge and support challenge.

So do I go for that 100 shards for 7* or do I focus on roster-depth?
| John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |

Replies

• Irics
    98 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @InternetSwag

Yes GW get more difficult as your toons getting 7 starred, but to survive in this game (especially if you are F2P), you need to be able to create a viable team in Arena.

There are many out there who don't seem to care about Arena but thanks to it I can do 2 cantina refreshes + 2 normal node refreshes a day thanks to consistency in Arena leaderboard. The refreshes can make me farm faster to get the better toons that I need.

Concerning GW, it is more to your strategy on toons' cooldown and HP management. As long as you have 3 viable healers along the way it should be easy (from my personal experience). I only have 2 and I admit it is difficult to easily complete the mode, BUT it is highly possible providing you manage your squad well. For example: One of your core toons got hit to dead you can always retreat and change the order within the team set-up. The turns will vary differently and as a result your core toon will come out alive. In short, all you need to complete GW is not just persistence (number of toons for example), but also brain (not claiming I'm super smart but at least I'm smart enough to complete GW everyday).

Edit: to answer your question, definitely chase 7* first

Hope that helps
    Post edited by Irics on
  • Options
    I was under the impression that levelling effects the gw more than anything else. I don't have a 7* anything and I breeze through gw. It was really hard when my toons were in the 50-60 range. In that case you want to have roster depth ,but very pricey,for credits. Gear up, star promote,then level up last. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Not sure if levels make it harder or not. I've always had the mentality of 7*ing a character before picking up a new one. However, if you're correct, it might be worth farming Poggle, Phasma or 86 and wait until you can get Sid, Lumi and GS to 7* within a week.

However, I'm under the impression that GW is based on your best squad's power level and your arena rank. Nobody knows how it works for sure
  • Options
    U need enough dps
    So GS is a good idea to star to 7*

Useful both for GW n arena
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ask yourself, if you enjoy GW at its present difficulty and would you regret, if it got harder as you advanced your characters? Take into consideration if Arena rank is important to you.

Roster depth does help with gear challenges and GW. Also think about if you enjoy activating new characters to try.

Lastly, you don't have to advance Lumi just yet. You can save those beautiful emerald tokens and star up Lumi later, if you feel that you are falling behind.

This is a game. Do what you consider to be most fun! Focus on maximizing your enjoyment!
    Post edited by sid on
  • Options
    You get diminishing returns meaning going from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 stars are bigger bumps than going 6 to 6 stars. If your roster is not that filled out yet and it sounds like it isn't, start using those Lumi shards on someone else for awhile. Get some depth. Get someone else to 5 stars. Then, come back to Lumi. I'd say the same about JC as well. I've never gone past 3 stars with him. Maybe go to 5 and spend your resources on someone else.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi