Worth it to Level Darth Maul?

I horde my crystals usually, spending them only on 2 power ups for regular energy and 1 power up cantina energy, daily. Currently, I have about 3k. For some reason today, I decided to buy a couple Chromium packs, for the first time. Second pack, I pull 4* Darth Maul. Although I'm psyched, is it really worth it to gear/level/skill him up if I have no plans to buy more packs to star him up?

At 4*, everything maxed, is he viable in anything? I figure eventually, they'll release his shards to Cantina, GW, Shard shop, but I could always level him them, with a head start. Thoughts?

Replies

• l3end3r
    895 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nah, even at 7* you don't see him around. His damage is possibly the best in the game, but he's dirt slow and will never get a swing off in PVP. Really low health too. He might be okay for DS challenges, but that's about it.

The only exception is if you're new to the game and don't have 5 characters yet. I used a random 4* Tarkin as my 5th, since I could only farm 4 characters when my account was new. If that's the case, he'll give your PVP guys a little boost for the next month or so

Cool pull tho. I'm sure they'll make him f2p and make a Sith challenge down the road
  • Options
    I've been around for a couple months. Usually 50 - 100 PvP, Top 10 characters have purple gear, only spent money on 21-day subscription of crystals.

Current roster:
    7* Phasma - L70
    7* Lumi - L70
    7* Sid - L70
    5* JC - L70
    5* Dooku - L70
    5* Barris - L70
    5* GS - L69
    5* Daka - L67
    5* Kylo - L66
    4* Poe - L65
    4* Vader - L63
    4* FOTP - L62
    4* Boba - L47
    5* IG-88 - L40
    6* Poggle - L39
    2* QGJ - L33

Good point about a Sith Event. So, I might just bring him up to lvl 40ish, gear lvl 4. That isn't too painful. And wait for them to make him F2P. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    DarthThai wrote: »
    I've been around for a couple months. Usually 50 - 100 PvP, Top 10 characters have purple gear, only spent money on 21-day subscription of crystals.

Current roster:
    7* Phasma - L70
    7* Lumi - L70
    7* Sid - L70
    5* JC - L70
    5* Dooku - L70
    5* Barris - L70
    5* GS - L69
    5* Daka - L67
    5* Kylo - L66
    4* Poe - L65
    4* Vader - L63
    4* FOTP - L62
    4* Boba - L47
    5* IG-88 - L40
    6* Poggle - L39
    2* QGJ - L33

Good point about a Sith Event. So, I might just bring him up to lvl 40ish, gear lvl 4. That isn't too painful. And wait for them to make him F2P. Thanks for the input.

Welcome. With that said, It'd be fun to try to make a team around him at 7*

Get fast assist call allies (QGJ, GS) and throw up a Poe wall. Hopefully Maul comes in for some of the heavy hitting. I doubt it would work, but it'd be fun lol
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If i had him i would hide him behind Poe, along with Ventress, and Boba or Sid as leader. And maybe add some Phasma on team to assist on the big finisher. Or dooku to block some high speed dps.
    If Ventress dies first, Maul will attack. if Maul dies first, Ventress will aoe with buff. If none dies before their first attack, game over.
  • Options
    Maybe in a Sith team he'll be good, but he's just too slow. He does insane to Jedi's but your opponent is probably going to focus him down first. Maybe if they introduce a character with a leader ability like QGJ which increases Sith's speed. Otherwise, I can't see him working at top level 7* max gear. He is also unfarmable so that's another down.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I just made this little video clip on how to use Darth Maul. He's absolutely great. Didn't even use the AOE or the fight would have been pretty much over and I wouldn't have any cooldowns ready for the next GW battle.

https://vid.me/dVBz
  • Options
    @CPMP That's an idea. I don't have Ventress, yet, but I might start farming her. Thanks.
  • Options
    @Nonemo Nice! Seems like a beast at 7*...I imagine he would be good for dealing with Jedi to climb the ranks of PvP. It's just defending that's a bit difficult, unless you've got a fully maxed Poe to hide behind.

My biggest problem, as you can see from the list above is I keep starting on a character, and then change my mind (or more importantly, the meta changes), and I abandon leveling that character for a new one. I was leveling Poe, until the Yoda event was announced, and scrambled to get QGJ to get Yoda shards. That was a waste. Right now I'm working on Poggle, IG-88, GS, and QGJ, along with several others I'm farming Hard nodes daily (Dooku, FOTP, Boba, Barris). With all that, I can't see spending the mats/droids/credits to level Maul at 4*'s.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I can really relate to that. I have like a dozen toons I started to level before I found something else that looked even more shiny.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    I just made this little video clip on how to use Darth Maul. He's absolutely great. Didn't even use the AOE or the fight would have been pretty much over and I wouldn't have any cooldowns ready for the next GW battle.

This was a video? It looks more like a slide show xD
    Darth maul is a beast! Have you seen his aoe damage with boba leader? ^^
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options
    F2P_Jedi wrote: »
    Maybe in a Sith team he'll be good, but he's just too slow. He does insane to Jedi's but your opponent is probably going to focus him down first. Maybe if they introduce a character with a leader ability like QGJ which increases Sith's speed. Otherwise, I can't see him working at top level 7* max gear. He is also unfarmable so that's another down.

But if they add speed for maul he is gonna break the game. Maul + sid aoe is gonna be one-turn KO.
    Killing him 1st is the only counter to Maul.
  • Options
    I think he's fine, but I don't own him because I don't whale enough or am lucky enough. He's just like any other glass cannon though. Given the chance I'd get him and run him, if I could get him to over 5 stars.
  • Options
    Used him as I was still trying to collect who I wanted. But using him in your squad to get threw the levels. He can be beast, but you have to try an plan out his fatal blows on opponents for him to go crazy with damage.
  • Options

WoW @Nonemo I have seen him hit beastly but that was as good as Rey. Is it due to the defense downs on targets?
  • Options
    Not unless you don't have anybody else. They really need to make him better, hes one of the best star wars characters, but once again neglected.
  • Options
    He would be better if his Unique ability applied for each kill, as the text of it describes. Maybe someday he will be unbugged.
  • Options
    I use him against Jedi teams sometimes in GW but I didn't put a ton into him. Only 4* and gear 6. Does the job but against bin Jedi he just is mediocre.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options

WoW @Nonemo I have seen him hit beastly but that was as good as Rey. Is it due to the defense downs on targets?

Defense down only accounts for a few hundred extra damage points at most. Which is within the normal attack variance.

Maul is good because he crits like 80% of the time, and deals +100% damage to Jedi. And he gains another turn whenever he kills an opponent. Battles can turn very quickly if Maul gets going.