10,304,366 points means something

The amount of resources and effort (in time and/or cash) to reach 10,304,366 damage against the rancor is substantial. That time and effort is the same for players, regardless of how many other members of a guild also clear that high hurdle. Rewards should be based on the effort and resources, not on the happenstance of the guild a player belongs to.

Current rancor rewards are random for solo ties. This means players with this high strength can end up in the 20s or 30s of rewards, which are far less than rank 1 if they are in a guild with other strong players. On the other hand, players who have made the exact same investment and are part of weaker guilds can gain rank 1 every raid (and with recently launched toons, also clear the HAAT with only 5-6 other strong players again securing high rewards).

It is unethical and wrong that players who all overcome the challenge of achieving that high damage threshold get different reward depending on whether they remain, or abandon a guild with other players who have made the same high effort. Prizes should be based on ability, not on the guild you happen to belong to.

Random rewards are good if players don't completely clear a raid alone, and happen to tie at a lower level. HOWEVER if players do max a raid, the investment of resources and effort should not be penalized based on what guild they belong to instead of the resources and time they put into their actual performance on the raid.

Ties at soloing raid should all receive Rank 1 rewards. Whoever doesn't solo should then get the rewards at the next level. (if 10 players tie at solo, the first player to not solo should receive rank 11 rewards). This recognizes ability, not the happenstance of guild membership.

This is the only right and ethical way to recognize the fact that soloing a raid is not a trivial, and rather a high effort hurdle to clear. This policy should carry forward for all future raids as well.

@CG_Carrie @CG_Kozispoon (huge congrats on the promotion, you rock!)

Replies

• Options
    +1
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry disagree

Yes resources that when into solo or getting top rank before CLS was great and you were rewarded with rewards for a long time.

Now anyone with CLS can solo, so no not a big deal anymore, random is ok.

Investments don't pay off forever...
  • Options
    No.

Who cares.
  • Options
    Twin wrote: »
    Sorry disagree

Yes resources that when into solo or getting top rank before CLS was great and you were rewarded with rewards for a long time.

What was the cost of CLS? Did they give out CLS for free? No they did not. CLS was also an effort and time/cash investment. Same for Thrawn. Or Rex. Or any other toon you use in a raid. If you argument is Raid power was given out at no cost, you just gave evidence of the opposite being true.
  • Options
    The search function is your friend
  • DedrickRogue
    924 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They won't give out 50 #1 rewards per raid. What you're requesting is beyond reasonable. Plus unethical is completely the wrong word.

You have a choice: stay in your "big" guild and take a random shot at 1-30, or find a "smaller" guild that you are only one of a few soloists.

Random is MUCH better then it used to be.
  • M3xY_w33zY
    47 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Actually I rancor solo with ease but recently with my guild having 10 people soloing (we had a 10k pre damage rule) I would start my run at midnight and anyone who posted 10k during the time from my run to zerg would make me place 1st place. It was smart and I was holding my damage from 12 am to 3 pm. Then as my officers notices that they changed the rules to strict 0. Now I auto Wiggs on P1 and get rank 40. Post CLS and now there is even less incentive to solo because even with a solo I place about rank 10 to 25. My chances of placing 1st place is 4%. Please think that 4% over EA/CG. So much resource thrown for nothing. Once I finish Kenobi I'm leaving to a nAAT guild to place 1st on rancor.

Edit: I'm not asking for the pit rewards to get reworked but I am asking that EA/CG brainstorm a new system that doesn't result in me depending on 4% to get what I need to upgrade my characters. Who knows, maybe the new QoL update soon to come will have something for us.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't care. I post a zero. It saves me my time. Although, I did have a go with CLS, now that was fun. It was 10 minutes on auto, then pause to let the rest of the guild hit it, before finishing it. But I'm back to posting a zero now.
  • Options
    +1
  • Faroer
    246 posts Member
    Options
    They won't give out 50 #1 rewards per raid. What you're requesting is beyond reasonable. Plus unethical is completely the wrong word.

You have a choice: stay in your "big" guild and take a random shot at 1-30, or find a "smaller" guild that you are only one of a few soloists.

Random is MUCH better then it used to be.

Unethical is the correct term because the incentive structure CG has created is a (likely unintentional) bait and switch.

The original incentive is to invest resources and effort to gain power and rank higher, meaning players are rewarded higher amounts for higher expenditure of time and resources. This continues until players hit "max power." Resource and effort spend is directly tied to the magnitude of rewards.

At max power, the incentive structure completely decouples from resource spend. Instead it becomes random and can be as low as when no resources were spent at all.

Players are incentivized into one type of behavior which leads to ever increasing rewards, until they achieve max power, and they are switched to far lower rewards. The originally promised rewards, for the originally asked for effort are taken away.

I actually think this was a design mistake and not intentional. But in any case it is still a bait and switch. Bait in switch is de facto unethical.

Even if "randomized" is a slightly less bad system than the old alphabetical ID system, it is still wrong.

Fixing the incentives to keep the original promise and remove the (unintended) bait and switch quite simple as explained in the original post.
  • Options
    Faroer wrote: »
    Twin wrote: »
    Sorry disagree

What was the cost of CLS? Did they give out CLS for free? No they did not. CLS was also an effort and time/cash investment. Same for Thrawn. Or Rex. Or any other toon you use in a raid. If you argument is Raid power was given out at no cost, you just gave evidence of the opposite being true.
    Ummm excuse me but CL, Thrawn and R2 can be had for free, none of their events require a dime to be spent

• Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Considering that the rewards in HAAT and TB are much more important, I'd actually prefer if I had more guild mates that at least have a good enough roster to solo Rancor.
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Considering that the rewards in HAAT and TB are much more important, I'd actually prefer if I had more guild mates that at least have a good enough roster to solo Rancor.
    You refer to CLS? Because that's 100% all it takes now
  • Options
    So what about the benefit to be had for being in a high power guild? Such as being able to raid frequently, awesome gear donations, etc....