TB Platoons [MEGA]

Prev134
Kyno
32087 posts Moderator
edited September 2017
Let's discuss the best time to set your platoons up.

Do you go first?
Do you wait?
Who in your guild is the best to contribute a toon?
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Like for Platoon 6, should you use your guild's best available unit for each slot, or use the worst available unit and save the best ones for the combat missions? What I mean is, does the power level of the unit deployed in Platoon missions affect the reward or the overall outcome in any way?
  • Options
    Everything seems to indicate that all that matters for Platoons is filling them out, not the star/gear/level of the toon beyond it filling the requirement. Can anyone confirm for my guild and I that this is indeed the case?

If that is true the strategy seems to be put in the "rarest" toons that you've got, but are of lowest power, into Platoons, right?

Thanks in advance all!
    Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!
  • Options
    Put my best in the Platoons... Frack. No explanation.
  • Options
    Ljaat wrote: »
    you want to deploy LAST. Characters used in combat missions and platoons auto deploy. The deploy section (with the 3 down arrows) are just for all the left over characters that you can't use in combat/plt

problem is the tut takes you into deploy and has you select all. unless you clear all and click elsewhere you are screwed.

For the future phases that's true, when you have multiple options of territory to deploy in. But for this phase, you can deploy first if you want. Deployment does not keep you from using the characters in platoons or battles within that territory.
  • Options
    Stars matter, not GP. But a word of advice:
    Look through all 6 Platoon requirements before deploying any of your characters. Some platoons require 2 of unique characters. For my guild, one required two Bazes be deployed, but I filled up other platoons before noticing this. I have one of two Bazes in our entire guild, so now we can't fill that last platoon :(
  • Options
    Guess I was groggy this morning but I saw no mention of platoons in the tutorial. Just deployed everyone and did a combat mission and now I'm locked out. I guess some of it is on me but the tutorial could be more clear IMHO.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Luckily I only deplyed 1 character in Platoon missions before doing my combat missions. It was one of my best characters though (zJyn), but I still made it through the combat missions without her. Actually, I used my really old rebel squad (AA) for the second mission and it was fine. Not sure if the other phases will be that easy though.
  • Options
    Olga wrote: »
    Luckily I only deplyed 1 character in Platoon missions before doing my combat missions. It was one of my best characters though (zJyn), but I still made it through the combat missions without her. Actually, I used my really old rebel squad (AA) for the second mission and it was fine. Not sure if the other phases will be that easy though.

Save your weak characters for Platoon.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Olga wrote: »

Save your weak characters for Platoon.
    Yep, all part of the learning process.
  • Options
    I deployed all and was able to do the missions as well as the platoons before servers went down. With that said, you should do the missions first before you assign units to platoons, otherwise if you do platoons first, you won't have access to those toons in missions.
  • Options
    Are the guerilla rebel strike bonuses (earned after each complete round of 6 platoons) applied to the combat missions then?

If so, basically a guild should not deploy, fill out platoons to the best of their ability, then do combat missions, then deploy extra if necessary?
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    It's the GP of the squad you sent on the combat mission prior to deploying the remaining members of your roster.

Thanks. That makes sense.
    Are the guerilla rebel strike bonuses (earned after each complete round of 6 platoons) applied to the combat missions then?

If so, basically a guild should not deploy, fill out platoons to the best of their ability, then do combat missions, then deploy extra if necessary?

Platoon mission bonuses are applied to the next phase/territory following the one with the completed platoon mission.
  • Options
    Platoon mission bonuses are applied to the next phase/territory following the one with the completed platoon mission.

The next phase/territory of combat missions, right?
  • Options

This is what I'm thinking. People are saying to go with: Combat > Platoon > deployment .
    But I actually think the order should be: Platoon > Combat > Deployment
    This way you can use the bonuses unlocked from Platoon on the combat missions, correct?
    At least that's how I'm seeing it.
    You fill Platoon first (with weak/required units), then you go into combat.
    Could you care to help, @Pyrefly ?
  • Options

This is what I'm thinking. People are saying to go with: Combat > Platoon > deployment .
    This way you can use the bonuses unlocked from Platoon on the combat missions, correct?

Theoretically there is no order (at least in the early phases) for combat and platoon. One uses your strongest characters where the other should use your weakest characters. This will obviously become much more strategy intensive in the later phases.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

If you look at the platoon mission in phase 1, it says at the top: "Reinforce ION CANNON and OVERLOOK with a powerful ability!"
    Ion Cannon and Overlook are the names of the two territories in phase 2.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    The only platoon missions that affects the same territory they're in are the phase 6 platoon missions.
    All other platoon missions affect future territories.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Options
    The only platoon missions that affects the same territory they're in are the phase 6 platoon missions.

Ah, ok. That clears it, thanks bud.
  • Options
    So you don't actually play the platoon battles? You just dump in low level toons to get points?
  • Options
    Rcassino wrote: »
    So you don't actually play the platoon battles? You just dump in low level toons to get points?
    Correct.

You can only battle in the Combat/Special Missions, (preferably with your best). You then play LS Toon Bingo in the Platoon section with what's leftover after that.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Options

Yeah, basically, it's just that that takes time and co-ordination and when we have 24 hour phases that'll be easy. If it goes to 12-hour phases things could get rwal tight and you may have to do missions before platoons also compkete.

Also, sidenote: Some platoon buffs are area-specific (ie: Ion Shield), but others are universal (Rebel Strafing Run).
    Porkins33 wrote: »
    Could this new stuff possibly be anymore confusing?

The only confusing thing so far is why they made their tutorial the way they did. They're setting up a bunch of players for failure.
    Their job is to tell us how the thing works. Our job is to find out how to do it better.

You know hiw annoyed people are now about how complex this is? Imagine if they also gave you strategy advice...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    So deploy low levels to platoons, then play combat and specials with your best. Does it matter which you do first? Sorry for the questions, I'm just confused on how this works lol.
  • Options
    you want to deploy LAST. Characters used in combat missions and platoons auto deploy. The deploy section (with the 3 down arrows) are just for all the left over characters that you can't use in combat/plt

problem is the tut takes you into deploy and has you select all. unless you clear all and click elsewhere you are screwed.

Deploying to the platoons and completing them gives your teams an edge in the combat missions... you want to do this first
    ObiShenobi
    DeathStarIIMaintenanceCrew
    https://swgoh.gg/u/obishenobi/
  • Options
    ObiShenobi wrote: »

Deploying to the platoons and completing them gives your teams an edge in the combat missions... you want to do this first

No, I think the platoon bonuses apply to the NEXT phase (except in phase 6). So they don't help you immediately.
  • Ljaat
    86 posts Member
    Options
    ObiShenobi wrote: »

It doesn't give that bonus until the NEXT phase. You don't always want to do them first. I've found Combat>Plt>Deploy. You want your best characters for the combat missions... to be able to finish all 6 rounds for the max number of points. Now, later on when there are multiple territories with specific characters.. it'll be a decision that you'll have to work out with your guild (that's the whole point).

There is really isn't a set order.. That's why I said combat/platoon first, then deploy. The first two will go back and forth as to which you do first...

• Options
    It doesn't give that bonus until the NEXT phase.

Not true, in phase 5 there are also platoons that affect the territory where they are, you can check that now. And there is a suspicious looking platoon (vague description) in phase 3 also.
  • Options
    Acrofales wrote: »

No. There's one in phase 3 (bottom, the power generator thing) and one in phase 5 (snowfields) that also affect the territory itself. The power generator one also affects the territory next to it (rear trenches). It's going to be a pain in the backside to coordinate that.

Well, as a general rule of thumb for your guild, just instruct them to go Platoon > Combat > Deployment, that way your guild won't miss the bonuses.
  • Options

No. There's one in phase 3 (bottom, the power generator thing) and one in phase 5 (snowfields) that also affect the territory itself. The power generator one also affects the territory next to it (rear trenches). It's going to be a pain in the backside to coordinate that.

Well, as a general rule of thumb for your guild, just instruct them to go Platoon > Combat > Deployment, that way your guild won't miss the bonuses.

But then someone will dump their combat squad into a platoon :persevere:
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

Yup. I was mistaken. You'll want to do those platoon missions before doing combat missions. Good catch.
  • Options

But then someone will dump their combat squad into a platoon :persevere:

Well that's hardly the devs fault.
    I understand the frustration and the fact that people will mess up the first time around - but that's also part of gaming: having fun and coming up with strategies to overcome obstacles/achieve more things ingame.
    I dont like to be spoon fed everything.