Origin of the term 'toon'

I looked it up on urban dictionary and there are a lot of salty people on there including 'or what an **** would say, what tools say, what stupid people say' in the definitions.
Does anyone know the origin of this term and why some people hate it?

Replies

• Options
    The older folks that played mmorpg back in the day played with characters that looked like cartoons which got shortened to toons. It is easier to type than character when in the chat of those old games. It stuck and now the younger folks seems to be emotional about it for some reason.

At least that's why I started using it. Plus I find it silly and the world needs more silliness.
  • Options
    Don't know about the origin but I like using Hero instead. We are playing Galaxy of Heroes after all...
  • Options
    That's funny that people get up in arms about it.

I honestly started using it because it seems to be the lingo here on the forums and that's a meta I don't mind following.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I always think of this when I see "toon."

http://enderverse.wikia.com/wiki/Toon#Army_Structure
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    The older folks that played mmorpg back in the day played with characters that looked like cartoons which got shortened to toons. It is easier to type than character when in the chat of those old games. It stuck and now the younger folks seems to be emotional about it for some reason.

At least that's why I started using it. Plus I find it silly and the world needs more silliness.

That about sums it up... @LocalHero makes a valid point about "hero" its also 4 letters and conveys same message.

But i gotta say calling characters toons is engrained in my gaming vocabulary and i will make an effort to try using hero instead.
  • Options
    Yeah GoH was the fist setting I've seen it used. I'm relatively old school myself starting out on NES when I was 7,8 years old but the whole mmorpg wave never appealed to me, I was mainly console and now because of life and stuff lol, mainly app game
  • Options
    LocalHero wrote: »
    Don't know about the origin but I like using Hero instead. We are playing Galaxy of Heroes after all...

idk..... I kinda like the sound of Star Wars Galaxy of Toons.
  • Options
    What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit...?